Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"I think, therefore I am"

Saru

Philosopher René Descartes famously said Cogito, ergo sum, which translates to "I think, therefore I am".

If you had to sum up the concept of existence in one sentence, what would it be ?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Okay, who didn't see this coming? 

Imagine coming into existence when someone pushes a button, then just disappearing into purgatory - over and over again.

• Sad 1

Just now, Saru said:

Imagine coming into existence when someone pushes a button, then just disappearing into purgatory - over and over again.

Just like reincarnation. 

Just now, XenoFish said:

Just like reincarnation. 

Question is, who pushes the button ?

• Thanks 1

Just now, Saru said:

Question is, who pushes the button ?

Who says there is a button? 

This life is more than likely a one shot deal. 

• Like 5

my first thought was

"Existence is ______"

Simply fill in the blank with just about anyword and it will apply at any given point in time. For as we live, our experiences/emotions/thoughts are infinite. Where we are at in our lives likely dictates the overall concept of how we view our existence in that particualr moment. Life happens in revolving/ "seasons" that fluctuate in duration. those that seem to stay stuck in the same season or rapidly pass through the others tend to have their "thoughts" dominated by the descriptive words associated with that season. With that being said, each season has hours and minutes, and they too can have their little ecosystems of small experiences... so i guess in the late afternoon session of this rambling brain.. my conclusion is that ... Existence is what one makes of it or feels about it at any given time.

Caution: This thought over a very late late breakfast/lunch may change at any given time. 

• Like 4

I always come up with existence is  Being.    and I've always thought the Descartes line would make more sence as..." I think,  therefore, I know I am.       ?

Edited by lightly
  • Like 5

22 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Life comes into us through our belly buttons. ^_^     and I always tend to suspect that  'this' life may be just a glimmer of an all encompassing and timeless ONE .    Sumpin'er other ???      

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

No one asked to be born, we just were. With the only purpose is to toil away till death. 

Birth-Something-Death

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

44 minutes ago, Saru said:

Philosopher René Descartes famously said Cogito, ergo sum, which translates to "I think, therefore I am".

If you had to sum up the concept of existence in one sentence, what would it be ?

Between the OP and the first response, I’d say you guys have conscious existence pretty well summed up. If I had to add anything, it would be from a tee shirt I once saw a third grader wearing that had a picture of a t-rex on it and a man, and the caption said, “The struggle is real.”

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

" I want to experience".

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

And because thàt is too scary to even consider as a possibility, people invented heaven, hell, reincarnation, and NDE.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

And because thàt is too scary to even consider as a possibility, people invented heaven, hell, reincarnation, and NDE.

They also develop elaborate fantasies in order to feel more important than they are. Because no one really cares. So they proclaim themselves, prophets, psychics, some type of god messenger. Yet, they are just people. Trying to create a meaning within a meaningless universe. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

The universe likes us, despite all evidence to the contrary. 

The universe is not a thinking and feeling entity. "It" must have annihilated many life forms during billions of years.

What made you think it is?

3 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

The universe is not a thinking and feeling entity. "It" must have annihilated many life forms during billions of years.

We can't know that. You're assuming your assumption is an axiom. While I assume it's not :D  

Anyway, I can't sum up my idea of existence right now. But it's close to 

32 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

" I want to experience".

:tu:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I'll go with what others have mentioned:  'we are the experiencers'.  I think that science implies we don't have free will, and for questions at this level I try to account for 'this is all a dream' or the Matrix/brains in vats/etc.  Just laying claim to experiencing gets me around having to define 'thinking' or staking any claim on what exactly I'm composed of.  And much to the point of Descartes' observation, that experiencing is occurring is not possible for me to deny.

Edited by Liquid Gardens
  • Like 5

15 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

I think therefore I did. :nw:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I am eternal being-awareness-bliss

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

I am eternal being-awareness-bliss

Not sure about the 'bliss' component, but 'being-awareness' yes.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

Not sure about the 'bliss' component, but 'being-awareness' yes.

being-awareness-bliss is a best English translation of sat-chit-ananda

• Thanks 1