Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"I think, therefore I am"

Saru

4 hours ago, Saru said:

Philosopher René Descartes famously said Cogito, ergo sum, which translates to "I think, therefore I am".

If you had to sum up the concept of existence in one sentence, what would it be ?

Existence is a state machine capable of introspection.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

being-awareness-bliss is a best English translation of sat-chit-ananda

I think Xeno would agree that it's sad ****, Amanda.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Saru said:

If you had to sum up the concept of existence in one sentence, what would it be ?

One Moment, in a totally non-static universe, where literally everything is in constant change, with the exception of the One Moment we call Now, which is static, never changing,  never ending.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Existence - Is a brief and momentary search for the meaning life which can only be found introspectively. However, the search for the meaning of existence or life is a worthy endeavor eventhough it can never be accomplished. Because the wheel of life never stops turning, it begins with birth, it transcends into a life, and it ends with death to only begin again and this process eternally. 

Namaste

• Like 3

I exist because otherwise the multiverse would have no purpose  :P

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Horta said:

Life's a b****. Then you die.

The end.

"Life is a s*** sandwich: the more bread you eat, the less s*** you taste."

~Buddha.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Nothing in life really matters, it doesn't matter how rich, famous, powerful, poor, sick, fat, thin, beautiful or ugly you are. Everyone dies and we are all eventually forgotten.

22 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Nothing in life really matters, it doesn't matter how rich, famous, powerful, poor, sick, fat, thin, beautiful or ugly you are. Everyone dies and we are all eventually forgotten.

Well, maybe some things can matter to someone while they are alive?      Life?  A loved one?  A beautiful day? ..Even a song can have meaning,and be important, in a person's life.     Lot's of people, places, and things, matter very much to many people.

sure, everyone dies and is forgotten....but not right now.   Don't rush me..k?      ;)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Abramelin said:

~Buddha.

There is no way Buddha said that.

• Haha 4

When I see a dog chasing it’s own tail, i am puzzled by it.  Same thing with the topic of this thread.  That we exist seems pretty certain, the hows and whys of it, I have no clue…..ooppps….there’s my one sentence answer to the OP.

I have no clue

PS.  And TBH, the older i get the less I care.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lightly said:

Well, maybe some things can matter to someone while they are alive?      Life?  A loved one?  A beautiful day? ..Even a song can have meaning,and be important, in a person's life.     Lot's of people, places, and things, matter very much to many people.

sure, everyone dies and is forgotten....but not right now.   Don't rush me..k?      ;)

Nothing has meaning without us giving it meaning. Yet the meaning we give things is an artificial value. No matter what meaning you give your life is means nothing at death. So no matter how great or worse a person you were, death makes us all equal. I personally struggle with the knowledge that life is meaningless, while having the desire to give it meaning. Even though I know it won't matter in the long run. In my head-space it is a battle between order and chaos. Of self-imposed meaning and meaninglessness. Knowing that nothing matters and the terrifying level of freedom that means. 

Don't be me, be better than I am. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

Nothing has meaning without us giving it meaning. Yet the meaning we give things is an artificial value. No matter what meaning you give your life is means nothing at death. So no matter how great or worse a person you were, death makes us all equal. I personally struggle with the knowledge that life is meaningless, while having the desire to give it meaning. Even though I know it won't matter in the long run. In my head-space it is a battle between order and chaos. Of self-imposed meaning and meaninglessness. Knowing that nothing matters and the terrifying level of freedom that means. 

Don't be me, be better than I am. 

I think your right... I guess We do 'impose'  and 'give'  (choose?)  meaning, or meaninglessness, in our lives.   Not sure about it being artificial though, either way, while we live,  our perceptions and feelings are  REAL.  ?    They sure seem real huh?  :P

I dunno X.  I wonder if I'm too "attached" to life.   In Buddhist philosophy...attachment is problematic?..maybe life IS suffering !  :lol:.  (I can't seem to believe that). . .entirely. 

Edited by lightly
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Tiggs said:

Existence is a state machine capable of introspection.

As in a machine owned by the State?

Or as in a machine which changes/observes the state of matter?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Hugh Mungus said:

As in a machine owned by the State?

Or as in a machine which changes/observes the state of matter?

As in the computing term.

• Thanks 2

I'm going to take a step back from our regularly scheduled programming.

Perhaps I am wrong. 

Life is like a library, full of many genre's. It can be made meaningful or meaningless. We can craft a nice story to the best of our abilities. If nothinging truly matters in the long run why take it all so serious? 

7 hours ago, Abramelin said:

~Buddha.

He had quite a "turn of phrase" did old Buddha. lol.

• Haha 5

The picture painted a thousand questions... 

declarative_sentence.png

~

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, third_eye said:

The picture painted a thousand questions... 

~

Yes, but when morning dew kisses the chrysanthemum, will teardrops fall?

• Haha 2