Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"I think, therefore I am"

Saru

15 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Yes, but when morning dew kisses the chrysanthemum, will teardrops fall?

The sweat of the gods... Or Apollo, depending on which side of the valley you're licking the dew 

~

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, third_eye said:

The sweat of the gods... Or Apollo, depending on which side of the valley you're licking the dew 

~

Veni Vidi Vici.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hammerclaw said:

Veni Vidi Vici.

vae victis

~

• Like 2

2 hours ago, third_eye said:

~

Yea I am with you there, the dew can certainly come from different forms and shapes of Lilies!:lol:

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, third_eye said:

vae victis

~

sed eius vita est difficilis ac dura pretium vitae:tu:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Manwon Lender said:

sed eius vita est difficilis ac dura pretium vitae:tu:

Pour me a glass of... In Vino Veritas

~

• Like 1

1 hour ago, third_eye said:

vae victis

~

Victoribus spolia.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, XenoFish said:

I'm going to take a step back from our regularly scheduled programming.

Perhaps I am wrong. 

Life is like a library, full of many genre's. It can be made meaningful or meaningless. We can craft a nice story to the best of our abilities. If nothinging truly matters in the long run why take it all so serious? 

Why would nothing matter?  I hope some people, aliens, AI Computers, whomever finds some of my playlists.  I think I could be famous in the future,  a hidden gem lol.  Besides, I’ve saved two peoples lives since I’ve been here.  That means something. You’ve probably done great things that matter - therefore it matters.  I mean, I hope.  Otherwise, that kinda sucks.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Victoribus spolia.

Liberty consists in the power of doing that which is permitted by the law.

Good Ol'Cicero...

~

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Guyver said:

Why would nothing matter?  I hope some people, aliens, AI Computers, whomever finds some of my playlists.  I think I could be famous in the future,  a hidden gem lol.  Besides, I’ve saved two peoples lives since I’ve been here.  That means something. You’ve probably done great things that matter - therefore it matters.  I mean, I hope.  Otherwise, that kinda sucks.

Because everything that humans have accomplished will vanish. Turning to dust and rust. Even our planet will be space debris eventually. So nothing matters. 

30 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Because everything that humans have accomplished will vanish. Turning to dust and rust. Even our planet will be space debris eventually. So nothing matters. 

But things matter in the moment. The choices you make in the moment have an effect on others for a certain amount of time(sometimes for many years), and the quality of their life is affected . . . one way or an other. Being remembered 'for all time' is not worth bothering about, in fact it is somewhat narcissistic to believe that it is all that matters.

Your equation: 'everything returns to dust' = 'nothing matters' doesn't really make sense when we are creatures who live in the moment . . . and we all do; that is the only reality we have.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

But things matter in the moment. The choices you make in the moment have an effect on others for a certain amount of time(sometimes for many years), and the quality of their life is affected . . . one way or an other. Being remembered 'for all time' is not worth bothering about, in fact it is somewhat narcissistic to believe that it is all that matters.

Your equation: 'everything returns to dust' = 'nothing matters' doesn't really make sense when we are creatures who live in the moment . . . and we all do; that is the only reality we have.

No one is truly remembered for all time. What we have is just a sliver of that person. Not the whole. 

On The cosmic scale nothing we do matters. Most of us live such insignificant lives that we're forgotten moments after we die. Those that might remember us will also die and we, like them, shall be forgotten. Between 50 to 100 years after we pass no one will know who we were. 

While something might matter in the moment, might carry on for years. That is still a speck of time. A lifetime for us is nothing on the cosmic scale. 

We exist for no reason, no purpose or point to it all. Nothing we do really matters.

9 hours ago, third_eye said:

Liberty consists in the power of doing that which is permitted by the law.

Good Ol'Cicero...

"Let's kill all the lawyers" Henry VI, Part 2, Act IV, Scene 2.

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

"Let's kill all the lawyers" Henry VI, Part 2, Act IV, Scene 2.

And the path headed towards the wives... 

"Two beheadings out of six wives is too many."

~ Henry VIII of England

~

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, third_eye said:

~

"To die, to sleep--no more..  Hamlet

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, third_eye said:

~

11 minutes ago, third_eye said:

"Two beheadings out of six wives is too many."

~ Henry VIII of England

That reminds me: for some people (say, Henry's wives) existence is being recognized by others. Even if it kills you. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Helen of Annoy said:

That reminds me: for some people (say, Henry's wives) existence is being recognized by others. Even if it kills you. 

"Pride goeth before destruction and a haughty spirit before a fall." Proverbs 16:8

• Like 2

2 hours ago, XenoFish said:

No one is truly remembered for all time. What we have is just a sliver of that person. Not the whole. 

On The cosmic scale nothing we do matters. Most of us live such insignificant lives that we're forgotten moments after we die. Those that might remember us will also die and we, like them, shall be forgotten. Between 50 to 100 years after we pass no one will know who we were. 

While something might matter in the moment, might carry on for years. That is still a speck of time. A lifetime for us is nothing on the cosmic scale. 

We exist for no reason, no purpose or point to it all. Nothing we do really matters.

Hi Xeno

That may be true but I don't live my life to be remembered I live my life because I am alive.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, XenoFish said:

I recently read an article stating that some scientists consider the universe to be conscious.  If this is true, then maybe things we do actually matter whether we become dust or not.  
https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/a36329671/is-the-universe-conscious/

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, closed for business said:

Hi Xeno

That may be true but I don't live my life to be remembered I live my life because I am alive.

Excellent.  

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, closed for business said:

Hi Xeno

In this sense life does actually matter.  It matters to US.  I’d rather live a good life that pleases me than a bad one that I’m not proud of.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Guyver said:

I recently read an article stating that some scientists consider the universe to be conscious.  If this is true, then maybe things we do actually matter whether we become dust or not.  
https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/a36329671/is-the-universe-conscious/

I honestly don't see how. It's all temporary. 

Just now, Guyver said:

In this sense life does actually matter.  It matters to US.  I’d rather live a good life that pleases me than a bad one that I’m not proud of.

Hi Guyver

Me too.:tu:

• Like 3

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

I honestly don't see how. It's all temporary. 

We think it’s temporary.  The universe is supposedly around 14 billion years old and no one knows what it was like before that point.  14 billion years is a really really long time.

• Like 1