Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"I think, therefore I am"

Saru

2 hours ago, Crazy Horse said:

So what happens when you stop thinking?

It hasn't happened to me yet, but I think I'd be dead.

Ricky Gervais (who studied philosophy at university in England) explains the saying in one of his podcasts.

He said that your senses can be fooled, so you can never be 100% sure that your surroundings are real. You could be in a very lucid dream. But the saying cogneto ergo sum literally means "if i am thinking i know i am alive" whether in a dream/being decieved or not

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Hugh Mungus said:

Because I am thinking,  I know I am alive. Cognito ergo sum

Yes, but that is pretty old school, and self limiting, today.

It was the best Descartes could do, but we know a lot more today. 

We know that its because we are a certain product of evolutionary process that we are able to think, and thus know we are alive.

We exist, and thus we can think. Our existence gives us the abilty to think, our thinking doesn't create our existence.

Hence we can also know that other things exist, like us, even though they cant think as we do  

13 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

I fights to the finish, cause I eats me spinach,

I'm Popeye the sailor man.

toot toot 

And 

I'll gladly pay you Tuesday, for a hamburger today. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Crazy Horse said:

When one is simply aware, without the constant thought stream of the ego, then the presence of GOD is felt for oneself, and one is being worked upon, to receive a greater level of consciousness, intuition, wisdom and power.

And so yes, the possibilities do multiply.

Just an add to, The above is an agenda one you have convinced yourself of most likely to comfort yourself. When one is “simply aware” they live their life as it shows up and go from there, they recognize that all modalities of being are opportunities for “something.” Insight and wisdom are found in many places.

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 5

Scire prosus unum folium graminus est totum comprehendere universum.        Ubiquitius

To know, completely, a single leaf of grass is to comprehend, in totality, the universe.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Scire prosus unum folium graminus est totum comprehendere universum.        Ubiquitius

To know, completely, a single leaf of grass is to comprehend, in totality, the universe.

Love this. :wub:

On 10/8/2021 at 12:09 AM, Crazy Horse said:

So what happens when you stop thinking?

You fall asleep?

On 9/13/2021 at 4:41 PM, Guyver said:

Clever, but not true.  A brick is, but it doesn’t think.

How do you know for sure it doesn't?

Maybe even mountains think, and because of their extremely slow metabolism their thoughts escape us.

:mellow:

• Like 3

On 6/28/2021 at 12:12 PM, L.A.T.1961 said:

The universe likes us, despite all evidence to the contrary. 

The universe has no feelings. It has no preference for our existence.

• Like 2

On 10/8/2021 at 1:41 AM, Hugh Mungus said:

It hasn't happened to me yet, but I think I'd be dead.

Ricky Gervais (who studied philosophy at university in England) explains the saying in one of his podcasts.

He said that your senses can be fooled, so you can never be 100% sure that your surroundings are real. You could be in a very lucid dream. But the saying cogneto ergo sum literally means "if i am thinking i know i am alive" whether in a dream/being decieved or not

Personally, when this one has stopped thinking, this one connects, to THAT..

And all is Good.

On 10/9/2021 at 10:06 PM, Abramelin said:

You fall asleep?

Not quite..

One awakens to life, and the Supreame Real.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

Not quite..

Oh, pray tell what is supreme reality. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Oh, pray tell what is supreme reality. 

• Haha 4

On 10/17/2021 at 1:18 PM, ZOXS said:

The universe has no feelings. It has no preference for our existence.

Welcome to the forum. :tu:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/17/2021 at 1:37 PM, Crazy Horse said:

Personally, when this one has stopped thinking, this one connects, to THAT..

And all is Good.

To that what?   The caboose of a freight train?  The last rattle on the tail of a rattlesnake?  A ceremonial covering worn by Buddhist Monks?  A farm implement?  An eating utensil?  A half eaten salami sandwich?  The fretboard of a ukulele?  The sniveling whine of a whining sniveler?  The magnet inside your vacuum cleaner?  The dust under the mat beneath your bathroom sink?  The pilgrimage of lunatic suffering?  A charred marshmallow from  long forgotten campfire smores?  August in redundancy?  The earwax of a homeless mathematician?  ..................................

Edited by joc
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/18/2021 at 4:49 AM, Crazy Horse said:

Not quite..

What exactly is the Supreme Real?

I am confused please enlighten me to what your saying!

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2021 at 5:41 AM, Manwon Lender said:

What exactly is the Supreme Real?

I am confused please enlighten me to what your saying!

The Supreme Real is one of the many names of GOD, because it actually, at least for the English language, describes THAT.

To add a little depth, one could also say that GOD is eternal and infinite, essential, unchanging and real.

Umanifested, yet, Real.

The Supreme Real.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

The Supreme Real is one of the many names of GOD, because it actually, at least for the English language, describes THAT.

To add a little depth, one could also say that GOD is eternal and infinite, essential, unchanging and real.

Umanifested, yet, Real.

The Supreme Real.

Thanks for clearing that up my friend, Happy All Saints Day to you then!:tu:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Manwon Lender said:

Thanks for clearing that up my friend, Happy All Saints Day to you then!:tu:

And.

This Supreme Real is the Ground of all Being and all that arises too, be it within the Spiritual, Mental, or Physical planes of existence.

All that is, is GOD, whether that is relative and non-permanent, or THAT unmanifested Supreme Real.

And there is a simple way to know these things for oneself.

Happy All Saints Day everybody!!!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

And.

This Supreme Real is the Ground of all Being and all that arises too, be it within the Spiritual, Mental, or Physical planes of existence.

All that is, is GOD, whether that is relative and non-permanent, or THAT unmanifested Supreme Real.

And there is a simple way to know these things for oneself.

Happy All Saints Day everybody!!!

You know it's always the same thing on this forum with some people, they laugh at the genuine thoughts of others. I was once the same way, I suspect that some of us never out grow our foolish nature. But what is really sad, is that these people are unable to allow others to be happy with the Spirituality they have found. They try to destroy the beliefs others simply because they themselves are unhappy and because they are unable to comprehend how important it is to have some kind of beliefs. 

All I can say is try and be tolerant of others, don't ever try to force your beliefs on anyone else because if you do your no better than those who laugh at the beliefs of others. Especially since the reason they laugh is because they are unhappy and believe in nothing.

Remember if you don't standup and believe in something it's a proven fact you will fall for anything and those people do such things frequently!!!:yes:

Peace.:tu:

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 1

On 10/31/2021 at 6:23 PM, Manwon Lender said:

Especially since the reason they laugh is because they are unhappy and believe in nothing.

Remember if you don't standup and believe in something it's a proven fact you will fall for anything and those people do such things frequently!!

Tut, tut, my dear ML...tut I say.  I am the happiest person I know, and I believe absolutely nothing.  However; I have always been the happiest person I know, even when I believed strongly in a number of things.  I don't know exactly what standing up has to do with belief, and I actually prefer sitting.  But I fall for nothing as well...because if you are going to fall for something then you have to 'believe' in something.  I maintain there is a large division between knowing and believing.  It is believing that gets you in trouble,   If you know something, well, there really isn't much argument about that is there.  We know what we know.

However...belief is a unique mixture of taking things we do know and filling in the blanks with things we don't.  Beliefs are actually very personal mental creations.  And so, we should indeed be very, very careful when mocking the beliefs of others.  You don't have to look at my painting if you don't like it.  But it isn't wise to come tell me to my face that my painting sucks.  It's art.  Beliefs are art as well.  And for what it is worth @crazyhorse I like the poetic justice of your belief paintings.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, joc said:

Tut, tut, my dear ML...tut I say.  I am the happiest person I know, and I believe absolutely nothing.  However; I have always been the happiest person I know, even when I believed strongly in a number of things.  I don't know exactly what standing up has to do with belief, and I actually prefer sitting.  But I fall for nothing as well...because if you are going to fall for something then you have to 'believe' in something.  I maintain there is a large division between knowing and believing.  It is believing that gets you in trouble,   If you know something, well, there really isn't much argument about that is there.  We know what we know.

However...belief is a unique mixture of taking things we do know and filling in the blanks with things we don't.  Beliefs are actually very personal mental creations.  And so, we should indeed be very, very careful when mocking the beliefs of others.  You don't have to look at my painting if you don't like it.  But it isn't wise to come tell me to my face that my painting sucks.  It's art.  Beliefs are art as well.  And for what it is worth @crazyhorse I like the poetic justice of your belief paintings.  

To your face I will say your painting is nothing but your opinion and you can offer your opinion just like I did. But, when I say I believe in something except for my spirituality I am not offering an opinion that is only a mental construct that I have conceived. I have also researched the subject and used the facts I have discovered to base what I say I believe. It's not something I just pull out of the air or while sitting alone and contemplating something without factual evidence. I make the decisions that are based upon something that  is a fact, not because I have decided it with without facts, so it must be true. 

You seem a little rattled by my comments and I don't understand why, because they generally applied and they were not directed at you or anyone in particular. So it appears that your didn't paint anything, unless it was mirror that you were looking into. As far as anything you say or attempt to say concerning me personally I can tell you it doesn't matter because I am comfortable in my own skin and I don't jump to conclusions where I think others may be referring to me in some indirect way!

Peace my friend. :tu:

8 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

To your face I will say your painting is nothing but your opinion and you can offer your opinion just like I did. But, when I say I believe in something except for my spirituality I am not offering an opinion that is only a mental construct that I have conceived. I have also researched the subject and used the facts I have discovered to base what I say I believe. It's not something I just pull out of the air or while sitting alone and contemplating something without factual evidence. I make the decisions that are based upon something that  is a fact, not because I have decided it with without facts, so it must be true. 

You seem a little rattled by my comments and I don't understand why, because they generally applied and they were not directed at you or anyone in particular. So it appears that your didn't paint anything, unless it was mirror that you were looking into. As far as anything you say or attempt to say concerning me personally I can tell you it doesn't matter because I am comfortable in my own skin and I don't jump to conclusions where I think others may be referring to me in some indirect way!

Peace my friend. :tu:

I think you misread the tone of my comments.  And looking back I can see why...I didn't use any kind of emoji or anything to emphasize anything...oh well...

Basically I was just saying that believing, not believing, it's all the same street.  The important thing I was trying to get across (and I think it got lost) was that our beliefs...your beliefs, everyone's beliefs, are quite personal.  They are personal precisely because they are a mixture of fact and 'filling in the blanks' based on facts.  I don't think anyone just pulls beliefs out of a hat.  Some people believe some pretty hokey stuff...but...they believe what they do based on the same premise of facts plus filling in the blanks through their own thought process.  It's what we as humans do.  We all do it.  And it's unique and it's cool.  So, beliefs are personal.  They are our own creations.  And that's where the analogy of the painting came in.   Imagine if you had worked really hard and you finally got the colors just right and you display your painting on the wall and someone walks by and laughs and says, That's a stupid painting!  Go to a museum and take a course learn how to paint!   

I was agreeing with you ML not criticizing you.  My apologies if it didn't turn out as such...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, joc said:

I think you misread the tone of my comments.  And looking back I can see why...I didn't use any kind of emoji or anything to emphasize anything...oh well...

Basically I was just saying that believing, not believing, it's all the same street.  The important thing I was trying to get across (and I think it got lost) was that our beliefs...your beliefs, everyone's beliefs, are quite personal.  They are personal precisely because they are a mixture of fact and 'filling in the blanks' based on facts.  I don't think anyone just pulls beliefs out of a hat.  Some people believe some pretty hokey stuff...but...they believe what they do based on the same premise of facts plus filling in the blanks through their own thought process.  It's what we as humans do.  We all do it.  And it's unique and it's cool.  So, beliefs are personal.  They are our own creations.  And that's where the analogy of the painting came in.   Imagine if you had worked really hard and you finally got the colors just right and you display your painting on the wall and someone walks by and laughs and says, That's a stupid painting!  Go to a museum and take a course learn how to paint!   

I was agreeing with you ML not criticizing you.  My apologies if it didn't turn out as such...

No apology necessary I am a little slow on the uptake somethimes, so actually I owe the apology my friend I am sincerely sorry for the disconnect. 

Peace!:tu:

• Thanks 1