Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Out Of Body Experiences

Brandy333

29 minutes ago, Brandy333 said:

Thanks for your info, it's interesting.   One thing that happens sometimes, it did the other night and seems to be right before falling asleep, I feel like I'm falling back into my body with a jolt.   Sometimes a hard jolt.   Ever have that?

Yeah, occasionally. Interestingly the first couple of obe experiences I had ended that way. I became overwhelmed to find myself looking around the room while floating in the air lol, which ended the experience and I woke with a jolt. A fascinating thing the mind/brain, the most complicated thing in the universe (that we know of).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/29/2021 at 11:14 AM, Desertrat56 said:

It sounds like a liver spot.  The medicine you were taking may have affected your liver.   You can get it checked to verify.

I just had an RN visit and showed her the mark on my wrist, and asked her what she thinks it is.   Right away she said it's a bruise.   It doesn't hurt, has been there nearly a month and still dark.  It's irregularly round but as big as a wrist watch with a very large face.

3 minutes ago, Brandy333 said:

I just had an RN visit and showed her the mark on my wrist, and asked her what she thinks it is.   Right away she said it's a bruise.   It doesn't hurt, has been there nearly a month and still dark.  It's irregularly round but as big as a wrist watch with a very large face.

Is it bluish or brown?  That seems dismissive of the nurse to just call it a bruise.  If it were a bruise and it hasn't healed in a month there must be some other problem.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Is it bluish or brown?  That seems dismissive of the nurse to just call it a bruise.  If it were a bruise and it hasn't healed in a month there must be some other problem.

It's still brown.

3 minutes ago, Brandy333 said:

It's still brown.

Well, I never saw a brown bruise.  I think a doctor would be more help than that nurse.  Was it ever bluish or purple when you first got it?  after 2 weeks it should be gone or at least a faded yellowish, depending on your skin tone, it could be a faint brown.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/322742#bruise-colors-over-time-and-their-causes

During the healing process, a bruise will usually go through the following colors:

• It often starts red because fresh, oxygen-rich blood has newly pooled underneath the skin.
  • After around 1–2 days, the blood begins to lose oxygen and change color. A bruise that is a few days old will often appear blue, purple, or even black.
  • In about 5–10 days, it turns a yellow or green color. These colors come from compounds called biliverdin and bilirubin that the body produces when it breaks down hemoglobin.
  • After 10–14 days, it will turn to a shade of yellowish-brown or light brown.
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Well, I never saw a brown bruise.  I think a doctor would be more help than that nurse.  Was it ever bluish or purple when you first got it?  after 2 weeks it should be gone or at least a faded yellowish, depending on your skin tone, it could be a faint brown.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/322742#bruise-colors-over-time-and-their-causes

During the healing process, a bruise will usually go through the following colors:

• It often starts red because fresh, oxygen-rich blood has newly pooled underneath the skin.
  • After around 1–2 days, the blood begins to lose oxygen and change color. A bruise that is a few days old will often appear blue, purple, or even black.
  • In about 5–10 days, it turns a yellow or green color. These colors come from compounds called biliverdin and bilirubin that the body produces when it breaks down hemoglobin.
  • After 10–14 days, it will turn to a shade of yellowish-brown or light brown.

It's a sort of a deepish reddish brown and never has changed color.

1 minute ago, Brandy333 said:

It's a sort of a deepish reddish brown and never has changed color.

That is concerning.  I hope you find out what it is and whether it is an indication of something that needs to be addressed or not.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

That is concerning.  I hope you find out what it is and whether it is an indication of something that needs to be addressed or not.

Thanks, I will.

Edited by Brandy333
  • Like 2

On 6/30/2021 at 7:52 PM, Horta said:

Plenty of them. It's a valid phenomena, though it's not what the airy fairy claim it is. I found the idea of "astral projection" fascinating so I taught myself to do it. It didn't really take that long and from then it was something that happened regularly on its own. That was a long time ago though, doesn't happen often now.

There can be beautiful feelings of elation associated with it, colours are more vibrant and so on. You can do things that you can't in normal life, such as fly. It can also be dark and foreboding at times. With enough experience you can see that the whole thing is both created and controlled by the mind (both conscious and subconscious). So it's a type of fantasy.

The problem is staying conscious for long enough, without slipping into a normal dream state. In reality it's simply being aware and conscious and having some control while in a dream. So "lucid dreaming" is a different way of achieving the same thing.

The methods themselves, despite the nonsense associated with many of them, really just involve being aware and following the process of going to sleep. This is easier said the done as focusing on this can stop people going to sleep, lose focus at all and you'll drift off to sleep normally. Get it right though and all sorts of sensation become apparent and you can find yourself floating.

Not sure why some people can do this and others seem unable to, but it's worth more scientific study.

Hey Horta. I’m not gonna pretend I know what astral projection is, but in my experience, while similar there are differences between lucid dreaming and AP.  

Just one example, like another poster pointed out, during AP often I’m unable to touch things. I don’t know how many times I’ve gone to grab something like a door handle, but my hand goes right through it. That never happens during a lucid dream. 

Anyhow just my two cents. Cool discussion. 

For me, at the end of the day it doesn’t really matter if it’s real or whatever. It’s nothing short of amazing either way. 

On 6/28/2021 at 4:54 PM, XenoFish said:

I've nearly died twice. Had one NDE from it. Yet after talking to both my parents, the whole experience was just my semi-conscious brain "recording" things. So no woo woo OBE. 

Could you describe what your NDE was like? What were the details? Honestly hoping you will tell us. Thanks ahead of time. 

34 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

Could you describe what your NDE was like? What were the details? Honestly hoping you will tell us. Thanks ahead of time. 

I was riding my bike down a steep hill, racing other kids. My bike flipped and I face planted a rock. Started losing blood. I remember panicked screaming. A gasoline on water visual effect as my parents rushed me to the hospital. Then what I can only describe as a waking dream of an elderly nurse in what appeared to be 1950's nursing attire. She was holding my hand and told me it would be alright. Nearly bled out from that. Asked my folks about what happened. There as an older nurse, she did have similar clothing on and she did comfort me. According to my dad if they were 10 minutes late getting there I would be dead.

My second one was nothing. Like losing consciousness then waking up. Except it was heart failure, which is probably why I have angina. 

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, XenoFish said:

I was riding my bike down a steep hill, racing other kids. My bike flipped and I face planted a rock. Started losing blood. I remember panicked screaming. A gasoline on water visual effect as my parents rushed me to the hospital. Then what I can only describe as a waking dream of an elderly nurse in what appeared to be 1950's nursing attire. She was holding my hand and told me it would be alright. Nearly bled out from that. Asked my folks about what happened. There as an older nurse, she did have similar clothing on and she did comfort me. According to my dad if they were 10 minutes late getting there I would be dead.

My second one was nothing. Like losing consciousness then waking up. Except it was heart failure, which is probably why I have angina. 

Wow that’s crazy. Head wounds bleed terribly. 

The closest I’ve come is nearly drowning. I got stuck in this current about a foot below the surface of the water. Water was flowing so fast I couldn’t get up.  I was freaking out. 

Next thing I know this really calm feeling came over me. I was looking up and could see the bubbles on top of the water with the yellow sunlight beaming through. I can’t remember if I heard this, or just thought it, but I remember a voice saying no matter what happened, I was going to be ok. Then that yellow sunlight I saw began to turn white. I was like one second away from taking in water, when somehow my head suddenly pops up above the water just long enough for me to take one good breath. 

I went down again, but the streams rapids ended and I was able to get and stay above the water. 

Nothing big, no where near as crazy as some of these stories get, and I know it can all be explained, but I’ll never forget that feeling of sweet surrender. All fear and pain just disappeared. At that age I think it was the first time I remember feeling real peace. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, preacherman76 said:

Head wounds bleed terribly. 

Apparently it was projecting 20 foot from my head. Though I suspect that was an exaggeration on my mom's part. It was the resulting low blood pressure that nearly did me in. 

• Sad 3

i "died"twice during heart surgery the first time i looked down and saw some doctors working on me they bought me back then lost me again this time i met my brother in law who had passed and he told me i wasn"t going with him and told me to go back after which i was put into a medically induced coma for a couple of days and all my close family were called up to come and see me just in case    

• Like 5

The closest I ever came to death was when I was in the army.  Our team was sent to a frozen mountain in Germany for a field exercise.  We got there and no one else showed up.  The Sergeant went down the hill to find a phone to call and was told the exercise was canceled but we needed to stay there because they had paid the Germans for use of the mountain for 3 days.   We had only our rig and our sleeping bags and some c-rations.  Everything else was supposed to be coming up on another truck.   Weird stuff like that happened a lot in that unit (it was a sham unit hiding spies, but we weren't supposed to know that).   We spent the night in the patch panel rig and the "smart" guy closed all the vents to keep the heat in.  That rig is air tight with the vents closed.   I was behind the panel and the two men were sleeping on the floor.   I went to sleep and woke up to both of them calling me, yelling and shaking my foot.  I felt like I had come back from a very dark void.   We survived asphyxiation because one of them was a smoker (the one who closed all the vents) and his impulse when he couldn't breathe was to light a cigarette.  The other sergeant happened to notice that he could not keep a flame on a match or his lighter and realized there was no oxygen, opened the door and let the cold air in.    I did not have any near death experience so I can't relate to that like I can the OBE experiences because of my childhood.  Once we were all awake, we packed up and headed back to the barracks.  It was stupid for anyone to suggest we stay on that mountain for 3 days.

• Like 3

The thing I wish I knew how to control about an OBE is that feeling right before going to sleep of falling.   I actually feel like I'm falling to the floor, but then I wake up with quite a jolt and realize I'm in bed.  It hasn't happened in a while.

• Like 1

I had a strange dream that had elements of an OBE and also alien abduction.  I thought woke up laying on opposite side of the be which I normally sleep.  A small boy crawled over me and got on the side of the bed which I normally sleep.  It was very dark so the boy appeared grey in color.  After that I was laying on my back staring up at the ceiling which was a dark grey in color when suddenly a black silhouette of an open hand palm down appeared above me.  I felt compelled to reach up and grab the wrist.  After I did that about ten more hands jumped in and grabbed my wrist and pulled me to the ceiling into the upper corner of my room and tried to pull me through but as soon as I hit the ceiling I fell down and landed back onto the side of the bed that I sleep on.  As I fell I woke up terrified so seemed to come crashing back down into my body.

I have told some people that have said that it sounded like a demonic attack or an alien abduction.  Those are both fun(?) thoughts but it was probably just a dream.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, OverSword said:

I had a strange dream that had elements of an OBE and also alien abduction.  I thought woke up laying on opposite side of the be which I normally sleep.  A small boy crawled over me and got on the side of the bed which I normally sleep.  It was very dark so the boy appeared grey in color.  After that I was laying on my back staring up at the ceiling which was a dark grey in color when suddenly a black silhouette of an open hand palm down appeared above me.  I felt compelled to reach up and grab the wrist.  After I did that about ten more hands jumped in and grabbed my wrist and pulled me to the ceiling into the upper corner of my room and tried to pull me through but as soon as I hit the ceiling I fell down and landed back onto the side of the bed that I sleep on.  As I fell I woke up terrified so seemed to come crashing back down into my body.

I have told some people that have said that it sounded like a demonic attack or an alien abduction.  Those are both fun(?) thoughts but it was probably just a dream.

I suspect it was more about you not facing some fear.   Something you are trying to defend yourself against, maybe a situation where several people want you to do something you don't feel is right or you feel you should not do.  Some people think everything is about aliens or abductions.  You very well could have had an OBE.   I have heard of "entities pulling people out of their bodies" but I have never experienced anything like that so have a hard time with that idea.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

I suspect it was more about you not facing some fear.   Something you are trying to defend yourself against, maybe a situation where several people want you to do something you don't feel is right or you feel you should not do.  Some people think everything is about aliens or abductions.  You very well could have had an OBE.   I have heard of "entities pulling people out of their bodies" but I have never experienced anything like that so have a hard time with that idea.   

It was extremely real feeling.  I also had a cold at the time and it could have been the Nyquil.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OverSword said:

As I fell I woke up terrified so seemed to come crashing back down into my body.

That seems to be a common aspect of OBE's.   I've felt it quite a few times.

• Like 1

I had one while I was a sleep, in seeing me walking around the room and am trying to awake up, was it just a dream ?

• Like 1

On 7/6/2021 at 11:26 AM, OverSword said:

Wow that’s an awesome experience. I’m not often impressed anymore with others experiences, but that was a good one. 

• Thanks 1

It happened again last night where I thought I was falling and going to hit the floor.  Every time it happens I've always gone to bed and pretty well asleep.   This time, though, it was a little different in that  before being jolted awake there were what sounded like a little beeping sound about 2 to 3 seconds apart.   After that was over went to sleep.

I experienced many as a child.  In fact my first conscious memory in this life, is an OBE at age 3.

Came close to consciously triggering them on a few occasions (got to the vibrational/rushing water phase) and have had a few spontaneous ones as an adult.  But none since my early 30's.

• Like 3