Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Learning lessons from Israel, South Korea is developing its own 'Iron Dome' to defend itself

Grim Reaper 6

South Korea is learning lessons from Israel and looking to develop an Iron Dome of its own to repel potential missile assaults from the North. During the conflict in Gaza this past May, Israel's Iron Dome proved highly effective in shooting down Hamas rockets. So successful was the system, which zeroes in on incoming threats via radar, that the Israel Defense Forces released footage of it blocking hundreds of short-range rockets. "The Iron Dome responds to rockets fired by militant groups, such as Hamas and irregular forces sporadically.

Some parts of the system will bear similarities (to the Israeli Iron Dome) but what we are going to build is designed to intercept long-range artillery pieces by North Korea, which requires a higher level of technologies given the current security situation," said Suh Yong-won, spokesman for the South Korean Defense Acquisition Program Administration (DAPA) at a press conference attended by Yonhap News.

South Korea Is Developing an Iron Dome to Fend Off Rocket Threats From the North (insider.com)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Gromdor said:

The biggest threat from North Korea isn't missiles rather it is conventional artillery.

You see if you had read the article in the OP you would have seen where this Dome is designed to stop artillery.

3 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

You see if you had read the article in the OP you would have seen where this Dome is designed to stop artillery.

Yeah, missile artillery but it has little effect on shells.  I mean it would be nice if we could make an anti-bullet defense shield but I don't see us there yet.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gromdor said:

Yeah, missile artillery but it has little effect on shells.  I mean it would be nice if we could make an anti-bullet defense shield but I don't see us there yet.

Yea your right maybe someday!:tu:

On 6/29/2021 at 12:18 PM, Gromdor said:

The biggest threat from North Korea isn't missiles rather it is conventional artillery.

"but what we are going to build is designed to intercept long-range artillery pieces"

7 hours ago, and then said:

"but what we are going to build is designed to intercept long-range artillery pieces"

Kinda pointless quibbling over what an undeveloped and unfinished defense system can or cannot stop.  Who knows, when they are done maybe it can stop lasers too..