Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Inaugural UM Phun Photography Competition

Waspie_Dwarf

Question

On 7/13/2021 at 4:49 PM, acute said:

Surely you have a Brownie under the bed somewhere!?!

You know that a huge number of people these days don't have a clue what that is, right?  :w00t:

image.jpeg.aab336a226af1b102010dac32ac46c02.jpeg

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, and then said:

You know that a huge number of people these days don't have a clue what that is, right?  :w00t:

Yes.  Don't try eating this Brownie, kids!

• Haha 5
On 9/6/2021 at 1:12 PM, and then said:

I wonder if film will make a comeback like vinyl records.

Probably not. :geek: 

• Like 2

When do we start voting? :D

• Like 2
1 hour ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

I wonder if film will make a comeback like vinyl records.

Probably not. :geek: 

You can never tell.  While digital cameras are MUCH simpler to use and far more forgiving of a casual level of photographic knowledge, from what I have read, a project-specific film/camera combination in the hands of a knowledgeable photographer makes the difference between snapping pix or capturing art ;)   The only time I used film was in my job as a radiographic technologist.  

I DID learn a bit about a very fine camera from back in the day.  I stumbled over the reference to this high-end camera in a Stephen King Novel (DUMA KEY)  One of the characters was admiring an old black and white image from the 20s or 30s and the image had been blown up/enlarged from a cabinet-size photo to a 6ft X 8ft monstrosity that had a level of resolution that I didn't realize was possible with film.

The camera was called a HASSELBLAD.  https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/photography/hands-on-review/classic-cameras-the-hasselblad-500cm

The resolution was unparalleled.  Remember the iconic image of an astronaut standing on the moon?  That was a Hasselblad.   The original camera was 500 dollars ( closer to 6,000 dollars when adjusted for inflation).  Their top-end digitals today can cost between 30-40 thousand!  :w00t:

On-the-moon-title.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
4 minutes ago, and then said:

You can never tell.  While digital cameras are MUCH simpler to use and far more forgiving of a casual level of photographic knowledge, from what I have read, a project-specific film/camera combination in the hands of a knowledgeable photographer makes the difference between snapping pix or capturing art ;)   The only time I used film was in my job as a radiographic technologist.  

I DID learn a bit about a very fine camera from back in the day.  I stumbled over the reference to this high-end camera in a Stephen King Novel (DUMA KEY)  One of the characters was admiring an old black and white image from the 20s or 30s and the image had been blown up/enlarged from a cabinet-size photo to a 6ft X 8ft monstrosity that had a level of resolution that I didn't realize was possible with film.

The camera was called a HASSELBLAD.  https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/photography/hands-on-review/classic-cameras-the-hasselblad-500cm

The resolution was unparalleled.  Remember the iconic image of an astronaut standing on the moon?  That was a Hasselblad.   The original camera was 500 dollars ( closer to 6,000 dollars when adjusted for inflation).  Their top-end digitals today can cost between 30-40 thousand!  :w00t:

On-the-moon-title.jpg

I was lucky enough to have been around when film was the only option.

At 14 (1975) my school built a new science block that included two fully fitted dark rooms, a science teacher volunteered to run an after school photography class and that was my introduction to 35mm photography, film development and printing. 

There is a look to a film photo that is hard to reproduce with digital. 

Not as one is better than the other.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
On 9/8/2021 at 7:44 PM, quiXilver said:

Moonset from cliffs in Santa Cruz back in 2011

That one is awesome.

• Like 1
On 9/7/2021 at 4:58 PM, ouija ouija said:

When do we start voting? :D

:mellow: Okay . . . . . so voting is done by clicking on 'like' on the right of the post, yes? I had assumed it was done using the '^0v' on the left side, outside of the post. Can we vote for more than one? (Why would we want to do that? :blink:). I have just gone through all of the photos removing all except one of my 'likes'. Am I over-thinking this?!! :blush:

:lol: 

• Haha 2
8 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

:mellow: Okay . . . . . so voting is done by clicking on 'like' on the right of the post, yes? I had assumed it was done using the '^0v' on the left side, outside of the post. Can we vote for more than one? (Why would we want to do that? :blink:). I have just gone through all of the photos removing all except one of my 'likes'. Am I over-thinking this?!! :blush:

:lol: 

I was just going to say yes,you are overthinking things.but reading your questions i realized i haven't the foggiest idea when or how to vote.:blink:...and now I'm so confused, I don't know who i am or what day it is.:unsure2:

• Haha 4

I don't recall quite what was here previously, but situated next-door to my childhood dental surgery, someone authored this rather 'novel' pub:

catcher.JPG.5c4c3def086bbf8307e4fa5b53129d63.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
On 7/1/2021 at 1:45 AM, Waspie_Dwarf said:

Here is the first edition of the UM Phun Photography Competition, The subject is: Home Town. You may enter any picture of, or inspired by, the town where you live or were brought up. (Caution, please be careful not to include any information that could compromise your security or safety)

The rules of the competition:

• All members are eligible to enter.
  • There is no prize, but the winner gets to set the subject for the next competition
  • You may enter up to five pictures. If more than five are entered only the first five will be permitted with additional entries hidden.
  • All members are eligible to vote.
  • Please only include one picture in each post.
  • Voting should be based only on the photo, friendships or disagreements elsewhere should be put aside.
  • Vote for the photos you like, this is a fun competition not a serious one about technique or equipment.
  • Photos may be entered for two months. There will then be a three week voting period before a one week period to allow the winner to be notified and the next subject nominated.
  • No plagiarism, photos must be the entrants own work and should be taken specifically for the competition.

That's enough of the serious stuff, please feel free to enter and/or vote, but must of all please have fun.

How goes this now ? I have voted for my favorite using the left hand vote up button. 

Do you want to add some official guidance and/or time period  Waspie ? 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

How goes this now ? I have voted for my favorite using the left hand vote up button. 

Do you want to add some official guidance and/or time period  Waspie ? 

Yes, apologies for the delay - the voting has now commenced.

Votes can be cast via the up arrow on the left-hand side. :tu:

Voting will remain open for 3 weeks and then the winner will be announced.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Last call - two days to go!

Place your votes now if you haven't done so already - the winner will be announced on November 1st.

• Like 2

The result is now in!

*snip - see post below*

I want to thank everyone for taking part - your participation is much appreciated :)

Unfortunately we didn't quite get as much interest in this particular competition format as in other formats we've done (such as the Chess tournaments), so we won't be running a second season of the photography contest, but thank you very much again to everyone who participated and to Waspie for the idea and for setting us up. :tu:

Edited by Saru
Edited due to issue with winning photo
  • Like 3
On 7/1/2021 at 1:45 AM, Waspie_Dwarf said:

no plagiarism, photos must be the entrants own work and should be taken specifically for the competition..

The last rule of the competition ^ ^  . The photo was taken in 2011.

• Thanks 1

Also, where has my vote for Desert Rat's photo disappeared to? :angry:

• Like 2
6 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

The last rule of the competition ^ ^  . The photo was taken in 2011.

All right then, @quiXilver I'm afraid you're disqualified because your photo was not taken specifically for the competition.

This means that @Essan - you have the highest number of votes on a valid photograph, congratulations. :tu:

The winning photograph:

P1070202.jpg

5 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

Also, where has my vote for Desert Rat's photo disappeared to? :angry:

Someone else must have downvoted that image, thus cancelling out your +1 vote.

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, Saru said:

All right then, @quiXilver I'm afraid you're disqualified because your photo was not taken specifically for the competition.

This means that @Essan - you have the highest number of votes on a valid photograph, congratulations. :tu:

The winning photograph:

P1070202.jpg

Well, I didn't see the last rule either so my photo is disqualified too.   

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Saru said:

We could down vote images?!! That doesn't make any sense. So we could vote for our favourite and then vote everyone else down?

Hang on in there Desertrat56, you'll win this yet! :w00t:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
16 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

We could down vote images?!! That doesn't make any sense. So we could vote for our favourite and then vote everyone else down?

As I said, we won't be continuing with this format.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

On that note, thank you again to everyone who took part in the competition and congrats again to the winner. :)

This section will be moved to the archives in the near future.

• Like 2