Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Waspie_Dwarf

The Inaugural UM Phun Photography Competition

Question

L.A.T.1961
On 9/6/2021 at 1:12 PM, and then said:

You know that a huge number of people these days don't have a clue what that is, right?  :w00t:

image.jpeg.aab336a226af1b102010dac32ac46c02.jpeg

I wonder if film will make a comeback like vinyl records.

Probably not. :geek: 

• Like 2

ouija ouija

When do we start voting? :D

• Like 2

acute
1 minute ago, ouija ouija said:

No point, is there?

@and then is obviously going to win with his Brownie pic. :yes:

• Haha 4

and then
1 hour ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

I wonder if film will make a comeback like vinyl records.

Probably not. :geek: 

You can never tell.  While digital cameras are MUCH simpler to use and far more forgiving of a casual level of photographic knowledge, from what I have read, a project-specific film/camera combination in the hands of a knowledgeable photographer makes the difference between snapping pix or capturing art ;)   The only time I used film was in my job as a radiographic technologist.  

I DID learn a bit about a very fine camera from back in the day.  I stumbled over the reference to this high-end camera in a Stephen King Novel (DUMA KEY)  One of the characters was admiring an old black and white image from the 20s or 30s and the image had been blown up/enlarged from a cabinet-size photo to a 6ft X 8ft monstrosity that had a level of resolution that I didn't realize was possible with film.

The camera was called a HASSELBLAD.  https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/photography/hands-on-review/classic-cameras-the-hasselblad-500cm

The resolution was unparalleled.  Remember the iconic image of an astronaut standing on the moon?  That was a Hasselblad.   The original camera was 500 dollars ( closer to 6,000 dollars when adjusted for inflation).  Their top-end digitals today can cost between 30-40 thousand!  :w00t:

On-the-moon-title.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

L.A.T.1961
4 minutes ago, and then said:

You can never tell.  While digital cameras are MUCH simpler to use and far more forgiving of a casual level of photographic knowledge, from what I have read, a project-specific film/camera combination in the hands of a knowledgeable photographer makes the difference between snapping pix or capturing art ;)   The only time I used film was in my job as a radiographic technologist.  

I DID learn a bit about a very fine camera from back in the day.  I stumbled over the reference to this high-end camera in a Stephen King Novel (DUMA KEY)  One of the characters was admiring an old black and white image from the 20s or 30s and the image had been blown up/enlarged from a cabinet-size photo to a 6ft X 8ft monstrosity that had a level of resolution that I didn't realize was possible with film.

The camera was called a HASSELBLAD.  https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/photography/hands-on-review/classic-cameras-the-hasselblad-500cm

The resolution was unparalleled.  Remember the iconic image of an astronaut standing on the moon?  That was a Hasselblad.   The original camera was 500 dollars ( closer to 6,000 dollars when adjusted for inflation).  Their top-end digitals today can cost between 30-40 thousand!  :w00t:

On-the-moon-title.jpg

I was lucky enough to have been around when film was the only option.

At 14 (1975) my school built a new science block that included two fully fitted dark rooms, a science teacher volunteered to run an after school photography class and that was my introduction to 35mm photography, film development and printing. 

There is a look to a film photo that is hard to reproduce with digital. 

Not as one is better than the other.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

and then
On 9/8/2021 at 7:44 PM, quiXilver said:

Moonset from cliffs in Santa Cruz back in 2011

That one is awesome.

• Like 1

ouija ouija
On 9/7/2021 at 4:58 PM, ouija ouija said:

:mellow: Okay . . . . . so voting is done by clicking on 'like' on the right of the post, yes? I had assumed it was done using the '^0v' on the left side, outside of the post. Can we vote for more than one? (Why would we want to do that? :blink:). I have just gone through all of the photos removing all except one of my 'likes'. Am I over-thinking this?!! :blush:

:lol: 

• Haha 2

diddyman68
8 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

:mellow: Okay . . . . . so voting is done by clicking on 'like' on the right of the post, yes? I had assumed it was done using the '^0v' on the left side, outside of the post. Can we vote for more than one? (Why would we want to do that? :blink:). I have just gone through all of the photos removing all except one of my 'likes'. Am I over-thinking this?!! :blush:

:lol: 

I was just going to say yes,you are overthinking things.but reading your questions i realized i haven't the foggiest idea when or how to vote.:blink:...and now I'm so confused, I don't know who i am or what day it is.:unsure2:

• Haha 3

jules99

Only last year this river was completely dry;

reflections-1.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Inn Spectre

I don't recall quite what was here previously, but situated next-door to my childhood dental surgery, someone authored this rather 'novel' pub:

catcher.JPG.5c4c3def086bbf8307e4fa5b53129d63.JPG