Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The 1887 ghost with face of fire that left people bedbound from shock

Eldorado

A ghost said to have a face of fire tormented parts of Wirral and even left some people bedbound with shock.

The ghoul is said to have terrorised residents with its supernatural appearances and smell of sulphur, with an appearance not unlike the modern comic book anti-hero Ghost Rider.

In a news report about the sightings just before Halloween on Saturday, October 29, 1887, the figure is described as having a face "smeared with phosphorus, which gives the appearance of a ball of fire".

Full story at MSN: Link

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

Demonic entities are often accompanied by the smell of a rotting corpse/ sulphur/ rotten eggs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leap_Castle#Haunting

The castle is allegedly haunted by a sinister elemental spirit referred to only as "It".

The creature is described by Mildred Darby as being about the size of a sheep, with a human face, black holes for eyes and a nose and giving off the smell of a rotting corpse.

Edited by acute
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

See this is sorta (sorta) connected to an idea I had about the Gorgons (No I don't believe Gorgons to be real). In the original Myth people turned to stone if they saw the face of a Gorgon because it was so ugly/terrifying. And here people go "bed-bound with shock" from seeing a ghost with a burning face. I wager today people wouldn't go into quite as big a shock over a ghost with a burning face, because people tend to be desensitised from movies and such.
So..in the same vein I'm wondering, could you make yourself immune to being turned to stone by a Gorgon simply by desensitising yourself by looking at ugly/disturbing creatures beforehand?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1887 and no one could get us an early cell phone picture of this? Oh well, the skeptics would have called it an early version of photoshop anyway.

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Seti42 said:

Newspaper publishes the story just before Halloween.

1f914.png.234ed2313e8a7a501909acc8d0294bc5.png

Pretty much. This is a rehashed version of the story that Tom Slemen wrote about in one of his enjoyable but not very factual books. That Jocelyn-whats-her-name from Mysterious Universe seems to regurgitate a lot of his stories while seemingly swallowing them whole like they're truth taters. Tom is a storyteller, that gets lost on a lot of people. 

Edited by Gilbert Syndrome

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/3/2021 at 6:07 PM, Orphalesion said:

See this is sorta (sorta) connected to an idea I had about the Gorgons (No I don't believe Gorgons to be real). In the original Myth people turned to stone if they saw the face of a Gorgon because it was so ugly/terrifying. And here people go "bed-bound with shock" from seeing a ghost with a burning face. I wager today people wouldn't go into quite as big a shock over a ghost with a burning face, because people tend to be desensitised from movies and such.
So..in the same vein I'm wondering, could you make yourself immune to being turned to stone by a Gorgon simply by desensitising yourself by looking at ugly/disturbing creatures beforehand?

Maybe they would pull out a cellphone and the pic would be so blurry , it wouldn't be clear enough to cause an issue.

On 7/4/2021 at 3:43 PM, Seti42 said:

Newspaper publishes the story just before Halloween.

1f914.png.234ed2313e8a7a501909acc8d0294bc5.png

Its stil a 99.999% Paranormal and 00.001% Logic. 

Sorry the Papameter is bia...always right.

• Haha 3