Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Australia launches permanent Firearm Amnesty

Timothy

https://crimestoppers.com.au/firearmamnesty

ABOUT

The Australian Government has partnered with Crime Stoppers Australia to launch a permanent national firearms amnesty to keep Australians safe while ensuring those with a legitimate need to access firearms are able to do so.

People who have an unregistered firearm or firearm-related item will be able to surrender it to a police station anonymously and without penalty, for registration, sale or destruction.

Licensed firearms dealers can also receive surrendered firearms in most states and territories. An unwanted firearm may also be handed in.

To support the commencement of the amnesty, Crime Stoppers has launched a National Illicit Firearms Campaign.

In coming months, Crime Stoppers will deliver 65 grassroots community events across the nation to encourage people to do the right thing and hand in unwanted or unregistered firearms.

—————

Thoughts from Aussies and others?

Personally; I’m all for it.

News articles to read (if interested) via this search link:

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=permanent+firearm+amnesty&client=safari&hl=en-au&tbm=nws&prmd=nisv&ei=TKXhYN7jNY_99QO6h5qYCQ&start=0&sa=N&biw=414&bih=697&dpr=3

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I like the Governor of Texas, Gregg Abbott's approach.  As of September 1, 2021 in Texas...it  becomes legal for anyone without restrictions to carry a firearm in their vehicles and pretty much anywhere else where restrictions do not apply. :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

Call me crazy...we like FREEDOM in Texas.  With Freedom comes Responsibility.   But you know...hey...we kicked England's red boots out so...ya know...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Seems logical enough. I guess my only concern is that if it's anonymous than people could be getting rid of murder weapons. Could help them not get prosecuted in the future.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

Seems logical enough. I guess my only concern is that if it's anonymous than people could be getting rid of murder weapons. Could help them not get prosecuted in the future.

That is an unfortunate possibility.

But the majority are people with weapons which they shouldn't have had for a while.

20 hours ago, joc said:

Call me crazy...we like FREEDOM in Texas.  With Freedom comes Responsibility.   But you know...hey...we kicked England's red boots out so...ya know...

You might want to work on the responsibility part.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/4/2021 at 4:05 PM, spartan max2 said:

Because just wiping-off the prints and throwing them in the river has never worked, has it?

2 hours ago, Inn Spectre said:

Because just wiping-off the prints and throwing them in the river has never worked, has it?

I never claimed there wasn't other ways to get rid of murder weapons lol :huh:

On 7/5/2021 at 12:59 AM, joc said:

Well... Texas didn’t do much kicking out. 

• Like 3

On 7/4/2021 at 10:13 PM, Timothy said:

ABOUT

The Australian Government has partnered with Crime Stoppers Australia to launch a permanent national firearms amnesty to keep Australians safe while ensuring those with a legitimate need to access firearms are able to do so.

People who have an unregistered firearm or firearm-related item will be able to surrender it to a police station anonymously and without penalty, for registration, sale or destruction.

Licensed firearms dealers can also receive surrendered firearms in most states and territories. An unwanted firearm may also be handed in.

To support the commencement of the amnesty, Crime Stoppers has launched a National Illicit Firearms Campaign.

In coming months, Crime Stoppers will deliver 65 grassroots community events across the nation to encourage people to do the right thing and hand in unwanted or unregistered firearms.

—————

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=permanent+firearm+amnesty&client=safari&hl=en-au&tbm=nws&prmd=nisv&ei=TKXhYN7jNY_99QO6h5qYCQ&start=0&sa=N&biw=414&bih=697&dpr=3

Fantastic move forward. 

Can't hurt to have a clean out every now and then. Probably get some weapons that gun nuts held onto and have either passed on or forgotten why they were important to begin with. Hand me downs and inheritances could be a larger part of the haul.

On 7/5/2021 at 12:59 AM, joc said:

I don't consider that freedom. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/4/2021 at 8:13 AM, Timothy said:

ABOUT

—————

It should be like that everywhere in my opinion. And they need to raise the penalty to criminals having them to a very long prison sentence. I don’t understand how any country in the world is going to stop criminals from carrying them if they don’t get control of who owns guns. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

So they willingly give them away without compensation?    No way would I do that.   I'd just keep them locked up.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Myles said:

So they willingly give them away without compensation? 

Depends on the situation. From the link.

Each state and territory have their own requirements about what can be surrendered, registered or sold.

8 hours ago, Myles said:

No way would I do that.   I'd just keep them locked up.  

Yes but you guys have a barbaric gun culture and don't go be two hoots about community. They can all die as long as you have a gun. We don't need guns, we are a lot tougher and care about community. 

9 hours ago, Myles said:

So they willingly give them away without compensation?    No way would I do that.   I'd just keep them locked up.  

The compensation is not being prosecuted for a crime.  No way you'd comply?  You'd continue with criminal behaviour?

On 7/6/2021 at 1:47 PM, psyche101 said:

Fantastic move forward. 

Can't hurt to have a clean out every now and then. Probably get some weapons that gun nuts held onto and have either passed on or forgotten why they were important to begin with. Hand me downs and inheritances could be a larger part of the haul.

I'm a bit confused by this. Who is this new policy targeting? Didn't you have a "buy-back" in the 90's? So there are no guns because they were all confiscated. You have been saying that there are no shootings in Australia because of the buy back and banning of guns.

Are you now saying that there are guns held illegally by "gun nuts", but no one has gone on a mass shooting rampage? How is that possible, we know if guns exist then mass shootings happen. You point it out in every thread in the US section that involves a shooting.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

2 minutes ago, Hugh Mungus said:

I'm a bit confused by this. Who is this new policy targeting? Didn't you have a "buy-back" in the 90's? So there are no guns because they were all confiscated. You have been saying that there are no shootings in Australia because of the buy back and banning of guns.

Are you now saying that there are guns held illegally by "gun nuts", but no one has gone on a mass shooting rampage? How is that possible, we know if guns exist then mass shootings happen. You point it out in every thread in the US section that involves a shooting.

Are you against an amnesty?

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

Are you against an amnesty?

Why is there a need? Surely any "gun nut" who is holding onto guns won't get rid of them. But there can't be any gun nuts in Australia because you haven't had a mass shooting since the ban.

Yes I am against giving criminals a free pass.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Hugh Mungus said:

It’s simply to try to remove/reduce the number of illicit firearms which people may still have in their possession which were not handed in with previous amnesties for whatever reason.

Eg. Forgotten firearms which are located with deceased estates, family heirlooms which were reluctant to have been given up previously, previous fear of penalty etc. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Hugh Mungus of course it’s very unlikely that any criminals would hand in illicit firearms, but it’s all about reducing the number of firearms in circulation which could potentially end up in a criminal or potential mass shooters hands.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Hugh Mungus said:

Why is there a need? Surely any "gun nut" who is holding onto guns won't get rid of them. But there can't be any gun nuts in Australia because you haven't had a mass shooting since the ban.

Yes I am against giving criminals a free pass.

Self reporting with no sanction is not a new idea.  But, you want to prosecute regardless, I see.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Hugh Mungus said:

I'm a bit confused by this.

That's hardly surprising. I reckon tying shoelaces would be quite a challenge for you going by what I've seen of you on the forum.

Who is this new policy targeting?

Remnants, imports illegal and otherwise, inheritances, forgotten items, abandoned hobbies etc etc etc..

Anyone with an unregistered weapon. 

Didn't you have a "buy-back" in the 90's?

Several.

So there are no guns because they were all confiscated.

No, they were regulated, not banned or confiscated. That means any Aussie can own a gun if they register and have good reason to own one.

You have been saying that there are no shootings in Australia because of the buy back and banning of guns.

Buy back yes, ban no. You're putting words in my mouth there. Regulation is not a ban. 

Easy, I didn't say that. I said some may be held by some gun nuts who couldn't bring themselves to part with their phallic security blanket at the time. There could be many reasons to have a clean out, which is what I actually said. I stated several reasons in my post but I see your tiny mind could only grasp one of them. 

Read posts before you quote them. You won't look as stupid then. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1