Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Australia launches permanent Firearm Amnesty

Timothy

11 minutes ago, Hugh Mungus said:

Why is there a need? Surely any "gun nut" who is holding onto guns won't get rid of them. But there can't be any gun nuts in Australia because you haven't had a mass shooting since the ban.

Yes I am against giving criminals a free pass.

If your against giving criminals a free pass you would support gun regulation. That's who is most affected by the supply/demand aspect of regulation. Legally acquired and registered guns are affordable here, on the black market they are not. Registration limits criminals from legally purchasing a gun. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Golden Duck said:

No way you'd comply?  You'd continue with criminal behaviour?

I have yard darts and use them.    

If something of value is in my possession and I am responsible with it, I prefer to keep it.   I follow most laws, but if I don't like it, it is hit and miss.  I typically go 60 mph when the speed limit is 55.  I built a shed in my back yard without getting and paying for a permit.   

On 7/8/2021 at 3:07 AM, aztek said:

i'm all for it, give them all up,  i do not see why Australians need guns at all. 

Emus. 
Seriously. 
Emus. 
We already lost to them once, ut’s only a matter of time before they try again.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Emus. 
Seriously. 
Emus. 

only those who turned them in lost them ;)

Edited by aztek
  • Confused 2

9 hours ago, Myles said:

I have yard darts and use them.    

If something of value is in my possession and I am responsible with it, I prefer to keep it.   I follow most laws, but if I don't like it, it is hit and miss.  I typically go 60 mph when the speed limit is 55.  I built a shed in my back yard without getting and paying for a permit.   

I’m the same. But if I had an illicit firearm and wanted to keep it, I’d deactivate it/have it deactivated. Doing <10% over the speed limit or building a shed without a permit isn’t usually much of a risk.

https://www.police.vic.gov.au/sites/default/files/2021-01/Cert%20of%20Deactivation.pdf

• Like 1

On 7/5/2021 at 7:29 PM, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Well... Texas didn’t do much kicking out. 

Yeah, at the time Texas was part of Spain.

2 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Emus. 
Seriously. 
Emus. 

You think it's a joke, do you?

• Haha 2

On 7/8/2021 at 1:07 AM, aztek said:

i'm all for it, give them all up,  i do not see why Australians need guns at all. 

heh well we dont.. pretty much the stuff that wants to kill you over here are too small to worry about having a gun.. snakes.. spiders.. plants.. that kind of thing.. no big carnivores to worry about.. we dont have to worry about the guy breaking in having a gun.. so we dont need one to defend our family.. (mind you.. and this is one thing you guys have over there that we dont.. the right to defend your property.. so if we did have a gun.. and did shoot someone.. you get charged.. I class this as australias biggest downside)

though there are those that like hunting still..  or the people that like competition shooting.. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Timothy said:

I’m the same. But if I had an illicit firearm and wanted to keep it, I’d deactivate it/have it deactivated. Doing <10% over the speed limit or building a shed without a permit isn’t usually much of a risk.

https://www.police.vic.gov.au/sites/default/files/2021-01/Cert of Deactivation.pdf

I don't think I would deactivate it, but I would certainly have it locked up.

• Thanks 1

why would anyone keep a gun deactivated and useless when you need it in a hurry???  i do not see why someone like that need gun at all then, it is useless that way.  anyone who isn't comfortable and confident handling loaded gun should not have one at all.  no different than a scared, driver who doubts himself  behind the wheel. they cause more accidents than those who speed

Edited by aztek
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, aztek said:

why would anyone keep a gun deactivated and useless when you need it in a hurry???  i do not see why someone like that need gun at all then, it is useless that way.  anyone who isn't comfortable and confident handling loaded gun should not have one at all.  no different than a scared, driver who doubts himself  behind the wheel. they cause more accidents than those who speed

You are supporting the need for firearm regulation in America. Thank you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/10/2021 at 2:21 PM, Timothy said:

Lol that's almost every post he makes isn't it? 

• Haha 1

On 7/10/2021 at 12:21 AM, Timothy said:

nope not in America, in Australia only, you do not need gun, you do not deserve to own them

9 hours ago, aztek said:

nope not in America, in Australia only, you do not need gun, you do not deserve to own them

A truly scathing indictment Aztek, we here in the Antipodes really should hang our heads in shame that we don’t need guns.

• Haha 3

On 7/4/2021 at 9:27 AM, joc said:

I like the Governor of Texas, Gregg Abbott's approach.  As of September 1, 2021 in Texas...it  becomes legal for anyone without restrictions to carry a firearm in their vehicles and pretty much anywhere else where restrictions do not apply. :)

I think they refer to that as "Constitutional Carry".  We're working toward that in Alabama as well.  The county sheriff's are fighting it hard because the CCP process has been under their control for decades and it generates a LOT of cash.  We already have an undisputed right to open-carry in public and private places where individuals have not expressly denied such carrying.  Usually those are banks, churches, hospitals, and the like.  Some retail stores get picky about it as well.  Walmart down here doesn't allow open carry in their stores since the crazy in Texas murdered a bunch of Hispanics.  I have no problem with any store or other business that chooses to restrict those rights as long as I have the option to do that business elsewhere.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, and then said:

I think they refer to that as "Constitutional Carry".  We're working toward that in Alabama as well.  The county sheriff's are fighting it hard because the CCP process has been under their control for decades and it generates a LOT of cash.  We already have an undisputed right to open-carry in public and private places where individuals have not expressly denied such carrying.  Usually those are banks, churches, hospitals, and the like.  Some retail stores get picky about it as well.  Walmart down here doesn't allow open carry in their stores since the crazy in Texas murdered a bunch of Hispanics.  I have no problem with any store or other business that chooses to restrict those rights as long as I have the option to do that business elsewhere.

For some reason I thought you lived in Texas.  Alabama!  I gambled once in my life!  At the greyhound race track in Mobile...lost $300  and that was back in the 70s so...chunk of change.  Don't know much about Alabama really...been there a lot of times but just kind of passing through...although I did visit Dauphin Island a couple of times.  The first was 2 weeks before Hurricane Camille.  And it was beautiful.  The last was almost 20 years ago...not so much.  

As far as guns...I won't be carrying one.  But I have the right too...once again...and that is huge.  

• Like 2

On 7/5/2021 at 6:07 AM, Timothy said:

You might want to work on the responsibility part.

Actually, Timothy, if one digs in to the data and just ignores the political posturing and sensationalizing of the media, it's abundantly clear that the VAST majority of American gun owners already meet the standard of being responsible stewards of that Right. Gun crime in the U.S. is mostly gang-related and therefore is usually geographically limited to major Democrat-controlled cities.  Over half of all gun deaths are suicides and for all the posturing and hand wringing in DC about the scourge of "assault weapon" mass shooters, long guns actually come in dead last in the numbers of people murdered.  Another inconvenient statistic is found in the evidence that more people are killed each year in America by blunt objects, feet and fists as well as stabbing weapons than rifles EVER have done.

Handguns hold the record, year in and year, out for most murders.  A serious, thoughtful person would be forgiven for asking why THEY aren't the priority for outlawing?  IMO, the answer is pretty obvious.  The crazies seem to prefer the AR/AK platforms and while it is true that such weapons are HIGHLY efficient for that purpose, the total numbers are miniscule by comparison.  So... why the focus on the least deadly weapon of the lot?  I'd posit that it's all about media hype, emotion-driven crowd control, and a multi-phase plan to chip away until they achieve their goal of making every American that owns guns, a felon waiting to be busted.

It really is clever, even if it's easily identified.  Once the scourge of "assault rifles" is removed, the mass shootings still continue and of course the next step is to remove more of these offending weapons, one class at a time.  If the Democrats held enough power, Americans would be limited to whatever gun the government decided they could possess and they'd be on a tight leash at that.  It seems to work in OZ and Kiwi-land and I respect their choice in the matter.  I'd just like that reciprocated, but I won't hold my breath ;) 

• Like 2