Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Meat Diet Boosts Kid's Growth

BurnSide

Meat diet boosts kids' growth

Michael Hopkin

Bringing up children as vegans is unethical, claims nutritionist.

Meat is a vital part of a child's diet, according to a two-year study of Kenyan schoolkids. Without it, children grow up smaller, less strong and less intelligent, the results suggest.

So clear are the benefits, in fact, that denying children meat or dairy products in the first few years of life is unethical, argues Lindsay Allen of the University of California, Davis, who carried out the research.

The 544 children in the study, who had an average age of seven years, were given two spoonfuls (about 60 grams) of minced beef each day to supplement their ordinary diet. Other groups were given a cup of milk, an equivalent amount of energy as vegetable oil, or no supplement at all.

Over two years, kids given food supplements gained an average of 400 grams more than those without, Allen told the annual meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science in Washington DC on 20 February. Those given meat showed the biggest benefits.

Children in the meat-supplemented group showed up to an 80% greater increase in upper-arm muscle compared with the non-supplemented children; for milk drinkers, this figure was 40%1.

Kids who were fed meat also outperformed their peers in tests of intelligence, problem solving and arithmetic. "The group that received the meat supplements were more active in the playground, more talkative and playful, and showed more leadership skills," Allen said.

Tough choice

Meat and other animal products such as milk contain nutrients that it is difficult to get elsewhere, Allen told the meeting. She pointed out that Kenyans' diet often consists mainly of starchy, low-nutrition corn and beans that lack sufficient iron, zinc, calcium, and vitamins A, E and B12.

Parents who find the idea of eating animals abhorrent might have some tough choices to make, she added. "There's absolutely no question that it's unethical for parents to bring up their children as strict vegans," she said.

Although chemical supplements may fill some gaps, the only way to guarantee that children absorb all the nutrients that they need is to feed them meat and fish, she says.

Luci Daniels, a paediatric dietitian and former chairwoman of the British Dietetic Association, says, "It's unsurprising that adding meat to a child's diet improves their development." Daniels says that the effect seen by Allen may be caused by the protein content of the meat, or the vitamins or minerals present.

"Anyone who has a child on a vegan diet has to be aware that the lack of nutrients can affect the child's development," she adds.

In developing countries like Kenya, feeding the next generation properly is important for future prosperity, says Montague Demment, also at the University of California, Davis and director of the Global Livestock Collaborative Research Support Program. "Poverty creates malnutrition and malnutrition reinforces poverty."

Source:

http://www.nature.com/news/2005/050221/full/050221-5.html

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• seeking

• Novo

• Monkyburd

• hyperactive

You hear horror stories about the USDA not properly monitoring the meat production and with all the antibiotics, bovine growth hormones, and steroids in your meat. On top of that, cow's milk believe it or not contains these hormones, as well as pus and scabs. Furthermore, did you know that the USDA actually only inspects 3 percent of all poultry and with the poultry that you buy at the store, almost 98 percent of it contains traces of fecal matter on the meat itself. It's a wonder that people still eat this stuff let alone want put that crap into their children's bodies. My hope is that that people just stop and think about these things and decide what's best for them.

A little fecal matter never hurt anyone.lol tongue.gif

Problem with being a vegetarian is that they usually overconsume carbs. That can lead to obeisty and many other problems(diabetes).

Edited by ericraven2003

im not sure if anyone noticed but you dont feed a dog salad because he doesnt have teeth for it, he doesnt have teeth for it because he doesnt need it

im not sure if anyone noticed but you dont feed a giraffe a steak because he doesnt have the teeth for it, he doesnt have the teeth for it because he doesnt need it

im not sure if anyone noticed but humans have teeth designed for both meat and vegtables, we dont have teeth for both just for the heck of it, we have it for both because we need both

i just dont see how one can be a vegaterian, its like being a smoker rolleyes.gif

Yeah Vegatarian food is terrible, dont feed kids that. Feed your child chemically processed meat and junk food, its good for them.....

user posted image

All the best

Faeden

Diet requires balance. That includes meat. You can have meat in your diet without eating fast food or junk. Chicken and beef can be some of the leanest foods(fat wise.)

im not sure if anyone noticed but you dont feed a dog salad because he doesnt have teeth for it, he doesnt have teeth for it because he doesnt need it

im not sure if anyone noticed but you dont feed a giraffe a steak because he doesnt have the teeth for it, he doesnt have the teeth for it because he doesnt need it

im not sure if anyone noticed but humans have teeth designed for both meat and vegtables, we dont have teeth for both just for the heck of it, we have it for both because we need both

Teeth, Incisors:

Carnivores: Short and pointed

Omnivores: Short and pointed

Herbivores: Broad, flattened and spade shaped

Humans: Broad, flattened and spade shaped

Teeth, Canines:

Carnivores: Long, sharp and curved

Omnivores: Long, sharp and curved

Herbivores: Dull and short or long (for defense), or none

Humans: Short and blunted

Teeth, Molars:

Carnivores: Sharp, jagged and blade shaped

Omnivores: Sharp blades and/or flattened

Herbivores: Flattened with cusps vs complex surface

Humans: Flattened with nodular cusps

Facial Muscles:

Carnivores: Reduced to allow wide mouth gape

Omnivores: Reduced

Herbivores: Well-developed

Homans: Well-developed

Jaw Type:

Carnivores: Angle not expanded

Omnivores: Angle not expanded

Herbivores: Expanded angle

Humans: Expanded angle

Jaw Joint Location:

Carnivores: On same plane as molar teeth

Omnivores: On same plane as molar teeth

Herbivores: Above the plane of the molars

Humans: Above the plane of the molars

Jaw Motion:

Carnivores: Shearing; minimal side-to-side motion

Omnivores: Shearing; minimal side-to-side motion

Herbivores: No shear; good side-to-side, front-to-back

Humans: No shear; good side-to-side, front-to-back

Major Jaw Muscles:

Carnivores: Temporalis

Omnivore: Temporalis

Herbivore: Masseter and pterygoids

Human: Masseter and pterygoids

Mouth Opening vs. Head Size:

Carnivore: Large

Omnivore: Large

Herbivore: Small

Human: Small

Chewing:

Carnivore: None; swallows food whole

Omnivore: Swallows food whole and/or simple crushing

Herbivore: Extensive chewing necessary

Human: Extensive chewing necessary

Saliva:

Carnivore: No digestive enzymes

Omnivore: No digestive enzymes

Herbivore: Carbohydrate digesting enzymes

Human: Carbohydrate digesting enzymes

Stomach Type:

Carnivore: Simple

Omnivore: Simple

Herbivore: Simple or multiple chambers

Human: Simple

Stomach Capacity:

Carnivores: 60% to 70% of total volume of digestive tract

Omnivores: 60% to 70% of total volume of digestive tract

Herbivores: Less than 30% of total volume of digestive tract

Human: Less than 30% of total volume of digestive tract

Length of Small Intestine:

Carnivore: 3 to 6 times body length

Omnivore: 4 to 6 times body length

Herbivore: 10 to more than 12 times body length

Human: 10 to 11 times body length

Colon:

Carnivore: Simple, short and smooth

Omnivore: Simple, short and smooth

Herbivore: Long, complex; may be sacculated

Human: Long, sacculated

Liver:

Carnivores: Can detoxify vitamin A

Omnivores: Can detoxify vitamin A

Herbivores: Cannot detoxify vitamin A

Human: Cannot detoxify vitamin A

Kidney:

Carnivore: Extremely concentrated urine

Omnivore: Extremely concentrated urine

Herbivore: Moderately concentrated urine

Human: Moderately concentrated urine

Nails:

Carnivores: Sharp claws

Omnivores: Sharp claws or semi-flattened nails

Herbivore: Flattened nails or blunt hooves

Human: Flattened nails

-Credit for this gos to my friend peter guys, but I think it illustrates my point fairly well.

Boosts Kid's Growth

Yeah, also boosts girls hormonal growth faster hmm.gif

To be healthy you just need to eat a balanced diet as well as exercising! Its really not that hard!

Eating meat is not just as bad habit as my vegan friend tells me. This girl in high school used to say taking a sh** was a bad habit too. I think they're both wrong.

Did anyone bother to read the list I provided? I could get into how the organs in a human body work, and demonstrate the not only is meat unhealthy-but uneeded. If Americans ate a more diverse diet, that didnt consist of so much processed plastic food then they wouldnt be so unhealthy. Meat alone isnt healthy, But with all the crap we put in our other foods, Its not wonder people think a Vegan diet would be unhealthy.

and demonstrate the not only is meat unhealthy-but uneeded.

the coldest populated place is in siberia and those people only eat meat, think of temperatures of -40(?)

Meat is necessary

I only eat chicken and fish meat wise. Is that healthy?

Out of interest:

I am 5'5 (18 years old) and weigh around 8 stone. Does anyone know what the weight I should be at roughly is?

Edited by Benjo Koolzooie

Thats (Edited), Living on a diet of purely meat is impossible while living on a diet of vegetables is. I think that says everything that can be said in favor of the health of a vegetarian diet.

Watch the language please Novo

Edited by Thistle

I know many vegetarian families, being I know lots of animal rights activists, and they hardly, if ever, have to go to the doctors, even there kids never have health problems that where brought up vegetarian, in fact they visit the doctors noticeably less than meat eating kids. Its also good to note there kids are also some of the brainiest in there class, I am not saying that being brought up a vegetarian makes you more brainy, but it seems to have done the kids all sorts of good, both physically and mentally. I go on what I have experiences, and I have experienced that being vegetarian has more benefits to it than not being one. The proof is in the pudding so to speak.

All the best

Faeden

Edited by Faeden

Meat is healthy for you, did you not hear the stats from the study they took at the opening post? Meat is excellent for your healthy diet.

However, if you sit in a chair at your home complaining about society all day on your computer, and haven't run or exercised more then two hours a week, you can literally survive on sawdust. laugh.gif

Thats (Edited), Living on a diet of purely meat is impossible while living on a diet of vegetables is.

Watch the language please Novo

Oh, and take your own avatar's advice please tongue.gif

Excuse me? I workout a minimum of one hour a day. I Skateboard,Hike,Camp, and ride a all terrain vehicle. I dont lounge around all day on UM like some people monkyburd grin2.gif. Im a well built, Healthy **vegetarian. I dont tire out half as quick as my meat eating friends either, so please continue to demonstrate your amazing insight into my unhealthy lifestyle.

Hmm, the skateboarding lifestyle huh? What is that.. Mt. Dew and Nachos? rolleyes.gif

I have a shirt like this, just for you Novo! laugh.gif

The Best Page in the Universe

Edited by Monkyburd

The skateboard diet? So now your generalizing me via a hobby as well as a political standpoint.You can't generalize people monkyburd, Im being completely civil with you. Yet when presented with evidence that debunks your arguments all you can do is insult me? What a wonderful way to articulate your arguments. I dont drink soda Monkyburd, Not very often at least. I generally try to avoid processed foods. I eat lots of Salads, Fruits, And the occasional bowl of fried tofu and rice. Im more energetic, Less Lethargic and generally much more healthy than before my change in diet. Although my changes in diet was completely based on moral reasons, Since converting I have lost 30 pounds (Wich I've gained back, Purely in muscle this time.) Began doing more sports, and became a all around more pleasent person. Im not saying your wrong, Merely that my personal experience combined with the scientific evidence I have provided proves that Im right.