Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Woman with Down’s syndrome takes Sajid Javid to court over abortion law

Still Waters

13 minutes ago, ted hughes said:

Hope not, otherwise most teenage boys would be mass-murderers.

Once the secular laws were compliant with the most rigid religious interpretations regarding terminating pregnancies, I'm absolutely certain the quasi-Christian talibans would start campaigning to protect sanctity of sperms next. 

And they can back it up with the Old Testament. Not with the New Testament, though. He who is without sin may cast the first stone and someone focused on sexual life of others obviously doesn't qualify. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/11/2021 at 4:25 AM, Helen of Annoy said:

Once the secular laws were compliant with the most rigid religious interpretations regarding terminating pregnancies, I'm absolutely certain the quasi-Christian talibans would start campaigning to protect sanctity of sperms next. 

And they can back it up with the Old Testament. Not with the New Testament, though. He who is without sin may cast the first stone and someone focused on sexual life of others obviously doesn't qualify. 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Yes, yes, we already had that in the thread :D 

But you know what they say - everyone makes fun of Catholics until they need an exorcism :yes:

Kidding... to a certain extent. 

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, OverSword said:

This is a complete non sequitur and nothing to do with the topic, but just some sort of "oh really" type info. I happened to be in Denmark when this film was shown in theatres there. A small group of us, all English, went to see it at Roskilde, hoping it would not be dubbed and just have Danish subtitles. It wasn't dubbed and it didn't have subtitles. The cinema was packed, and they all laughed at all the right places as they could all speak English. I could not imagine the situation if a Dane went into a cinema in the UK to see a Danish film, and find no English dubbing or subtitles, and the cinema packed with Danish speaking Brits. Sort of embarrasing in a way that so many speak English, while so many English speakers only speak English.

41 minutes ago, Helen of Annoy said:

Yes, yes, we already had that in the thread :D 

But you know what they say - everyone makes fun of Catholics until they need an exorcism :yes:

Kidding... to a certain extent. 

This reminds me of the sleazy character in the Brendan Foster version of The Mummy who carried symbols of all the religions just to be on the safe side.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Wepwawet said:

This is a complete non sequitur and nothing to do with the topic, but just some sort of "oh really" type info. I happened to be in Denmark when this film was shown in theatres there. A small group of us, all English, went to see it at Roskilde, hoping it would not be dubbed and just have Danish subtitles. It wasn't dubbed and it didn't have subtitles. The cinema was packed, and they all laughed at all the right places as they could all speak English. I could not imagine the situation if a Dane went into a cinema in the UK to see a Danish film, and find no English dubbing or subtitles, and the cinema packed with Danish speaking Brits. Sort of embarrasing in a way that so many speak English, while so many English speakers only speak English.

According to Michio Kaku English is and will be going into the future the common language of humanity.  He's right too.  I watched a TV show about a Japanese woman that was going to third world countries and aiding the locals on producing goods for the tourism industry to supplement their income.  The language they spoke to communicate with each other was English.  As a matter of fact the relatively uneducated farmers of Bhutan spoke better English than the Japanese woman.  

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, OverSword said:

According to Michio Kaku English is and will be going into the future the common language of humanity.  He's right too.  I watched a TV show about a Japanese woman that was going to third world countries and aiding the locals on producing goods for the tourism industry to supplement their income.  The language they spoke to communicate with each other was English.  As a matter of fact the relatively uneducated farmers of Bhutan spoke better English that the Japanese woman.  

*than the Japanese woman. 

:P 

Couldn't resist. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, OverSword said:

According to Michio Kaku English is and will be going into the future the common language of humanity.  He's right too.  I watched a TV show about a Japanese woman that was going to third world countries and aiding the locals on producing goods for the tourism industry to supplement their income.  The language they spoke to communicate with each other was English.  As a matter of fact the relatively uneducated farmers of Bhutan spoke better English that the Japanese woman.  

Yes, it certainly looks like this is going to be a thing. I recently watched the Netflix series Katla, a sort of Icelandic version of the French Les Revenants, The Returned. Mostly the dialogue was in Icelandic, but when in several scenes there was an Icelander and a Swede, they both spoke English.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Wepwawet said:

Yes, it certainly looks like this is going to be a thing. I recently watched the Netflix series Katla, a sort of Icelandic version of the French Les Revenants, The Returned. Mostly the dialogue was in Icelandic, but when in several scenes there was an Icelander and a Swede, they both spoke English.

In real life, when I talk to other Slavs we use English. Then someone can't remember the exact word and tries with their own and we mostly understand it, though the accents are different. But it's not easy to follow whole sentences. Sometimes I watch Russian documentaries without titles and understand a lot and then I lose it right in the interesting part :lol: 

In short, yes, English is all-present and it has the advantage that it still can be understood even if the grammar is off. 

But I'd prefer more exact language than English, for the future European lingua Franca. English is chaotic and sounds too... mumbling :D 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Helen of Annoy said:

English is chaotic and sounds too... mumbling :D 

Er, dunno, innit :lol:

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...