Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

By 2030, will we actually 'own' anything ?

UM-Bot

I still buy CDs and DVDs - and have loads and loads of books!  

In fact, I can't think of anything I currently buy that I might rent instead?    Underpants?  :o

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I´ve been saying this for years but my end result is quite different...quite worse for mankind.

By not owning nothing you have nothing, so if for some reason you are without income you have nothing, you´re out in the street, and once you´re in that position, its very very hard to get out, as you´ll be immediately seen by the job market as near undesirable, as someone who was irresponsible.

Its completely ridiculous the new schemes like paid subscriptions, no thanks, unless its something like real services like net Netflix cable. Rented phones? no thanks you keep it.

Stuff that I need I´ll buy I will not rent it.

I´ve warned my parents not to buy a new BMW, they went ahead and put in 25K€ for a car they don't own, and will have to put in another 25k€ if they want to keep it after a 5 years, while paying a monthly rent to BMW. It´s a pretty darn good car, but fck me, way to expensive for something you don't own.

This will also increase waste as people will be discarding stuff that are in good conditions but are not the latest model, example Ifone crap (not bashing Apple). All my phones worked until they died, never for obsolete!

I have my house, at worst I can sell, but its mine, the capital invested is not lost, may be lower or higher in time, but not lost (unless some disaster occurs like a fire earthquake, etc)

Just like I refuse to buy new videogames, I don´t want live services, I want  games that can be played offline. 

• Like 5

2030 is soon... most, People will still own personal possessions and many 'things'.   But, ya, home ownership is fading away pretty fast... And I'd argue that people don't Own anything that isn't 'paid off' .   Debt is seriously out of control.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

I'm intrigued by the idea of car sharing. As electric cars are about 3x more expensive than traditional ones and there are few charge points (especially when you think about how many people live in flats and HMOs) car sharing will become the norm in the UK. A street of say 30 house will be allocated 20 electric MPVs an they will work out themselves how they share them- some families will require them for shopping, others for commuting, others for recreational trips on the weekend and etc.

I've also read that 'home sharing' is being considered- youngsters would be happier with flats, young people with families will require larger houses, older people smaller places again. The properties would be owned centrally and cleaned and serviced by large companies as the occupiers changes according to their requirements. 

It certainly is an interesting concept.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

But does anyone really ever own anything, man?

Hippie joke aside, I'm fine with getting video games from Steam (I can play offline, I do download the games...But I technically only 'own' a license) and paying a few monthly fees for streaming services. I also rent an apartment. I do prefer owning paper books over ebooks, though. I think a balance can be struck between renting, sharing, and owning all the things one needs or wants. I don't know exactly what that balance is, and it definitely varies based on where you live and what your specific situation is, though.  

Edited by Seti42
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, lightly said:

home ownership is fading away pretty fast

At some point we will address that

guillotine_model.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, godnodog said:

I´ve been saying this for years but my end result is quite different...quite worse for mankind.

By not owning nothing you have nothing, so if for some reason you are without income you have nothing, you´re out in the street, and once you´re in that position, its very very hard to get out, as you´ll be immediately seen by the job market as near undesirable, as someone who was irresponsible.

Its completely ridiculous the new schemes like paid subscriptions, no thanks, unless its something like real services like net Netflix cable. Rented phones? no thanks you keep it.

Stuff that I need I´ll buy I will not rent it.

I´ve warned my parents not to buy a new BMW, they went ahead and put in 25K€ for a car they don't own, and will have to put in another 25k€ if they want to keep it after a 5 years, while paying a monthly rent to BMW. It´s a pretty darn good car, but fck me, way to expensive for something you don't own.

This will also increase waste as people will be discarding stuff that are in good conditions but are not the latest model, example Ifone crap (not bashing Apple). All my phones worked until they died, never for obsolete!

I have my house, at worst I can sell, but its mine, the capital invested is not lost, may be lower or higher in time, but not lost (unless some disaster occurs like a fire earthquake, etc)

Just like I refuse to buy new videogames, I don´t want live services, I want  games that can be played offline. 

It always amazes me that people rent and lease cars

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Seti42 said:

But does anyone really ever own anything, man?

Hippie joke aside, I'm fine with getting video games from Steam (I can play offline, I do download the games...But I technically only 'own' a license) and paying a few monthly fees for streaming services. I also rent an apartment. I do prefer owning paper books over ebooks, though. I think a balance can be struck between renting, sharing, and owning all the things one needs or wants. I don't know exactly what that balance is, and it definitely varies based on where you live and what you're specific situation is, though.  

True, but industries are dead on making everything a subscription service.
Just found out you can make a subscription to Nestle Nespresso monthly subscription.

• Like 1

Another issue I have with subscription is not only you not owning stuff. It´s that you´ll end up forced to spend all your hard work earned money in this model, you´ll end up having no choice.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, godnodog said:

True, but industries are dead on making everything a subscription service.
Just found out you can make a subscription to Nestle Nespresso monthly subscription.

Oh, of course they are. The subscription/rent/lease model makes them the most money over time. Retailers and manufacturers have been jealous of insurance companies, money lenders, and landlords for decades (or centuries), probably.

I'd much rather just buy an item like a computer or car outright, but I am OK with renting an apartment, though.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, OverSword said:

At some point we will address that

Bold words and illustration, but what measures would counteract the trend we are seeing?  

2 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Bold words and illustration, but what measures would counteract the trend we are seeing?  

Guillotines. 

• Haha 1

. Only the mega rich will own things and when they "rent" them to you, you'll have to abide by their terms of service. 

No thanks.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

It always amazes me that people rent and lease cars

Me too.  The down payment is ridiculous and then the monthly payment on top of that, just as ridiculous.  And now they expect you to get a 7 year loan on a new car.  I bought a house  in 1988 for less than the car my daughter is paying on now (and it is not the fanciest or most expensive, just mid line car).

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 2

I've told this before,  The only thing I ever bought 'on time' was the 10 acres I'm sitting on..and I paid it off early.   I built this tiny house ,with saved money.  Always bought used vehicles with saved money.   We use a credit card, but pay it off monthly, so, it's never cost us a dime to use . (Except, a little ,ONCE,  when we were late.).      I'm  frugal .    :P. I've always loved the freedom afforded us by owing NOTHING.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Me too.  The down payment is ridiculous and then the monthly payment on top of that, just as ridiculous.  And now they expect you to get a 7 year loan on a new car.  I bought a house for in 1988 for less than the car my daughter is paying on now (and it is not the fanciest or most expensive, just mid line car).

Its all a matter of resource and perspective isn't it? 

On the lowest level, it is the time we had to buy a $1.69 pint of mayonnaise instead of a $2.29 quart because we had to make sandwiches on our weekly paycheck and we needed the other $.60 to buy a loaf of bread.

On the highest level when your source of income far exceeds your expenses it doesn't matter whether you lease or buy, you do what is convenient.  If you desire perpetual new car smell then you lease and give it back in  two years and the cost is worth the sensory pleasure  because you can afford it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Its all a matter of resource and perspective isn't it? 

On the lowest level, it is the time we had to buy a $1.69 pint of mayonnaise instead of a $2.29 quart because we had to make sandwiches on our weekly paycheck and we needed the other $.60 to buy a loaf of bread.

On the highest level when your source of income far exceeds your expenses it doesn't matter whether you lease or buy, you do what is convenient.  If you desire perpetual new car smell then you lease and give it back in  two years and the cost is worth the sensory pleasure  because you can afford it.

That is a good point.  It is people who are always leveraged up to their eyeballs that leasing does not make sense as well as old crusty people like me, nor does buying a new car make any sense, but they do it and continue to live leveraged to their eyeballs, one misstep from disaster because they were taught that appearances are more important than living within your means.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I wish I could give that  ^  a like, a thanks, and a laughy face !  :wub:

I'm just not mechanically inclined....so, sometimes used vehicles have been Costly!  when they needed mechanical attention !    Which has made me consider leasing, because most leases include mechanical maintenance?    It might be cheaper,. SOMETIMES. ..but ,I'm sure I've saved money overall taking the cheapskate route.    :P

Edited by lightly
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, OverSword said:

Guillotines. 

You are just trolling aren't you?  This is just the result of free market capitalism of which you seem to be a strong proponent. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

You are just trolling aren't you?  This is just the result of free market capitalism of which you seem to be a strong proponent. 

That is incorrect. This is removing free market capitalism. It ensures that the elites at the top (the ones who actually own all the stuff you will be renting) will remain at the top, with no room for competition, as a start up will not be able to provide what the established companies can.

This is communism. We see it already in cities across the world. Right now I'm taking part in building a 40 story high rise which has zero carparks available for use. It's in the CBD of a city, so everyone should be using public transport, no matter if that suits your purpose or not. You don't have the option of turning up in a car. 

The "state housing" new buildings in my area have way less carparks than units and there have been trials already for "communal" electric cars which are rented cheaply to residents (as well as free use of communal e-bikes). I am looking forward to reading that all these state provided vehicles have been maintained immaculately by the residents....:rolleyes:

This is not capitalism. It is ideological clap trap which wants to reduce productive members of society to the lowest common denominator. If there aren't restrictions on ownership the majority will still own all of their belongings. It will take political pressure to change the market in this direction. Hence not free-market capitalism at all.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

No it's not.  We don't have free market capitalism.  We have a system in which government licenses monopolies to the highest bidder, rather than preventing them.

In a free market system the government has very limited duties but one of those duties is to protect individuals from being trampled.  Such a government would write legislation to eliminate the right of banks from owning as a business, what are meant to be family dwellings and renting them out.  You can never blame anything in the USA on free market capitalism or even capitalism.  We exist in a what could most accurately be described as a fascist system.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1

That's all a matter of where you are willing to live. I bought a house 5 years ago for about the same price I pay rent every month for my apartment, states really differ.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Nnicolette said:

That's all a matter of where you are willing to live. I bought a house 5 years ago for about the same price I pay rent every month for my apartment, states really differ.

In the area I live in an apartment equivalent to the nice one I lived in when I lived in Texas would be the same as my house payment, but in Texas the rent was a few hundred less.  The house I live in would be appraised a lot lower in the area of Texas I lived in than it is here.   Housing is excessively expensive in this area, even more so because wages are lower by 1/3 to 1/2 of industry standards unless you can get a job at Sandia Lab or Los Alamos Lab.   And now corporations based in other states are buying up apartments and evicting the current residents, a lot of these people could barely afford the rent they are paying and now they have to find a place to live with even more inflated rental prices.  It is facist, because these companies are banks and investment firms who will not be concerned with their tenents or even maintaining the properties.

Edited by Desertrat56

The year is 2030.
Former central bankers run all the governments in the world.
Rates are negative throughout the world.
Central bank balance sheets are 200% of global GDP.
Global debt is 500% of world GDP.
The top 1% own everything.
The bottom 99% are dancing on TikTok.

• Like 1