Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Staggering' price rises and empty shelves on the way

Silver

Morrisons, Asda and Tesco hit by product shortages and staggering price hikes

Premier Foods who provide products from Bisto, Mr Kipling and Ambrosia among many others, are calling for the army's help in food distribution.

Due to the lack of lorry drivers, farm workers, coronavirus restrictions and rising shipping costs, supermarkets and high street stores are having to brace for shortages country wide.

The shortages, according to Lancs Live, have also caused prices to spike by nearly 20 times the rate of inflation for simple, everyday products.

It's even been reported that shoppers have been struggling to find bottled water as well as the rapidly rising costs.

Industry experts are warning that the gaps in supermarket shelves are set to get bigger over the coming weeks as nearly eight out of 10 food suppliers face staff shortages this year.

Clive Black, a retail analyst of broker Shore Capital, said: “You may not have seen wholesale empty shelves but there are more gaps already.”

Morrisons, Asda and Tesco hit by product shortages and staggering price hikes - YorkshireLive (examinerlive.co.uk)

Edited by ted hughes
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

I have noticed that there is already a bottled water shortage. I don't drink tap water because it is foul! (May be forced to in coming weeks :().

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, ted hughes said:

It's even been reported that shoppers have been struggling to find bottled water as well as the rapidly rising costs.

Um, get a bottle, stick it under a tap, turn on the tap?

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Peter B said:

Some tap water is so vile you wouldn't want to drink it. Lots of pets refuse to drink tap water preferring to drink from rainwater puddles when they are outside.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

33 minutes ago, Peter B said:

I heard recently on a programme about plastic waste: The only thing bottled water manufacturers make is plastic bottles. True, isn't it?

Edit: ouija ouija may disagree!

Edited by ted hughes
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

Some tap water is so vile you wouldn't want to drink it. Lots of pets refuse to drink tap water preferring to drink from rainwater puddles when they are outside.

I thought that was because it is colder usually? What do I know though. I sometimes buy carbonated bottled water but I feel guilty about the plastic.

Edited by ted hughes
  • Like 1

I think clear plastic water bottles are the most recyclable plastic.

• 6 months later...

Retail sales have suffered their worst December decline on record, a 3.7% fall month-on-month, as shoppers stayed home due to the Omicron variant, according to ONS.

The sales fall comes after a steady November, with consumers doing their Christmas shopping earlier than previous years.

A fall in demand for petrol and diesel, due to more people working from home under Plan B rules, also contributed to the slump.

https://www.retailgazette.co.uk/blog/2022/01/retail-sales-suffer-worst-ever-december-decline/