Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Covid: How your mask protects other people

Still Waters

Since the beginning of the coronavirus pandemic, many countries have brought in rules, and even laws, requiring people to wear face masks to help contain the spread of the virus. But as restrictions are being lifted globally, many governments are loosening the rules around mandatory face coverings. With the requirements due to be dropped in England on 19 July, the Guardian's science correspondent Natalie Grover looks at why masks are more about protecting others than ourselves, and where we still might want to wear them.

• Thanks 7

I won't be giving up mask wearing any time soon! :no:

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

Me neither.

• Like 7

Hopefully when the inquiry into Covid takes place the actual scientific effect of mask wearing can be illustrated. 

It should obviously have an effect but the question is by how much ?

I have yet to see a solid looking number for reducing virus spread due to mask wearing.

Although there is a good argument for use before mass vaccinations, and there was only limited actions available pre vaccine, will it make much difference today ?

There has been enough variation on mask wearing, to protect against Covid, around the world for its effectiveness to be pinned down reasonably accurately. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

I had my 2 shots already but I will wear a mask at least up until the next summer, if not even longer. :yes:

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I haven't worn as mask since January. 

Has anybody ever called you out on that, in shops, etc.? Perhaps in your state it isn't a rule?

6 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

Has anybody ever called you out on that, in shops, etc.? Perhaps in your state it isn't a rule?

No one has said a word. 

• Like 1

I"m still wearing my mask. There's still other colds and flus going on, and masks are helpful with that. I also happen to like being an anonymous shopper that isn't getting harassed like an employee, so wearing a mask has been wonderful for that. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

I haven't worn as mask since January. 

Several Provinces here completely lifted restrictions. I was in BC last weekend (the opening weekend,) enjoying farmer's markets and small town comforts without a mask. There were a handful of elderly still wearing them but the majority of people did not.

To be fair, I haven't worn one in almost two months including shopping at major outlets. Not once was I hassled about it. Had I done that in 2020 it would have been a different story. I wanted to gauge public reaction and based on my experience, every one here is over the pandemic. There is a vaccine available for those that want it - that should be the end of the story, the lockdowns and the BS. At least, that's how they sold it to us. 

All that being said, I have a new appreciation for the Asian model of mask wearing. I think it's polite to wear one if you are sick and it wouldn't be a bad thing to see that happen during cold/flu seasons. It's the fines and bylaws I have a problem with.

• Like 1

I played by all the rules last year. Even though I hated it. Then in January I just said forget it. Guess I got tired of the constant fear mongering. Last March (2020), my cousin, father, myself, one of my dad's friends and the guy's son-in-law all of us got horribly sick for two weeks. Same symptoms and everything. So I played safe, now I just don't care. I'm burnt out. My dad's friend was positive for Covid, which is why I suspect I've already had it. 

Plus the blood work up I had for my health insurance indicated a robust immune system. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

No one has said a word. 

and no one will, people get shot for asking such questions.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

i wear one at work , inside buildings, and inside my co -op, in hallways and elevators,  due to rules,  some stores  still require masks. i do not really care, i'm not making a fuss over it, if they want customers wearing one, i'll wear one,  i do not think mask issue is worth getting upset over,   but i wish some people wore them permanently, not due to danger of covid, but due to horrible smell coming from their mouth. either rotting teeth, or severe case of gingivitis, or paradontosis,  

• Like 3

Once I got the shot I was done with masks. There's no point anymore, getting vaccinated is as good as it gets for protecting others.

10 minutes ago, aztek said:

i wear one at work , inside buildings, and inside my co -op, in hallways and elevators,  due to rules,  some stores  still require masks. i do not really care, i'm not making a fuss over it, if they want customers wearing one, i'll wear one,  i do not think mask issue is worth getting upset over,   but i wish some people wore them permanently, not due to danger of covid, but due to horrible smell coming from their mouth. either rotting teeth, or severe case of gingivitis, or paradontosis,  

I think the best place for mask usage is food service workers. Just makes more sense to me really. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

I think the best place for mask usage is food service workers. Just makes more sense to me really. 

i agree, 100% even with no covid i think they need to wear one, they sneeze, cough ....  i do not want their body fluids in my food, even if they are perfectly healthy

Edited by aztek
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, moonman said:

Once I got the shot I was done with masks. There's no point anymore, getting vaccinated is as good as it gets for protecting others.

Up until today there is no C19 vaccine that can provide a 100% protection.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If it was suggested wearing a mask protected the wearer, and not just others, there would be a lot less anti-maskers I'm sure!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ted hughes said:

If it was suggested wearing a mask protected the wearer, and not just others, there would be a lot less anti-maskers I'm sure!

it was initially, but people did not believe it,  so then gvmnt figured they would play social responsibility card, make people who do not wear one look like antisocial type.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ted hughes said:

5 minutes ago, aztek said:

it was initially, but people did not believe it,  so then gvmnt figured they would play social responsibility card, make people who do not wear one look like antisocial type.  

This is the sort of thing that makes me despair of my fellow man/woman and very basic education too. It should be obvious to everyone that if a mask can stop the virus going one way, it can equally stop it going the other way!!!!!! :cry:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, aztek said:

... so then gvmnt figured they would play social responsibility card, make people who do not wear one look like antisocial type.  

There was no additional action required by the gvmnt because these types where and acted antisocial already. As I said several times already, the mask thing was the most extensive IQ test conducted on Earth ever. Determining the results required no math, just a single glance.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, toast said:

Up until today there is no C19 vaccine that can provide a 100% protection.

It'll become just another seasonal flu.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ouija ouija said:

This is the sort of thing that makes me despair of my fellow man/woman and very basic education too. It should be obvious to everyone that if a mask can stop the virus going one way, it can equally stop it going the other way!!!!!! :cry:

It doesn't though. The material of masks is too coarse to stop viruses. But it does stop you expelling air forcefully like sneezing or breathing over people (which is why surgeons wear masks). If two people wear masks they protect each other, if only one does the anti-masker is protected by the masker but not the other way round.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, XenoFish said:

I played by all the rules last year. Even though I hated it. Then in January I just said forget it. Guess I got tired of the constant fear mongering. Last March (2020), my cousin, father, myself, one of my dad's friends and the guy's son-in-law all of us got horribly sick for two weeks. Same symptoms and everything. So I played safe, now I just don't care. I'm burnt out. My dad's friend was positive for Covid, which is why I suspect I've already had it. 

Plus the blood work up I had for my health insurance indicated a robust immune system. 

I did all the stuff and still got ****en Covid lol.

A friend of mine didn't social distance at all the entire pandemic. Never tested positive. 

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1

I don't care to wear it anymore. 

But I do hope it becomes a societal norm for people to wear them when they are activity sick and symptomatic.

I plan to do that going forward. Looking back it's pretty dumb how we never thought to do that.

• Like 1