Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Valete!

Ianus

Salutations to everyone!

I finally decided to make me an account on this very nice site --It took a considerable effort because of my idiosyncrasy for any and all internet footprint, but I think it is worth it.

I have one goal in life, that is to read all the books written by humans.

I very soon realised that this must be done in chronological order; moreover, I cannot go with translations, which quite complicates my endeavour.

I am currently on the astoundingly large Roman literature, having read most of the republic authors and gnawing at the empire. My Italian education fortunately left in me some Latin bases from which to soar (even in scientific high schools we are taught Latin).

Next steps, learn to a reading minimum ancient Greek, to aggress their own large stock (I am accepting advices on easy authors: Thucydides?); and then, lo!, I'll have to learn to read sumerian and akkadian in order to get back to the very beginning. No worry.

Well, once that settled, I will have the basis to redescend to Stephen King and beyond.

Cheers

Edited by Ianus
Plural salutation: you are many!
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

Welcome Ianus, make yourself at home :) 

• Like 3

:st Heavens! You have quite the task ahead of you. Good Luck with that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Salutation... (singular)

Funnily enough, I am currently scratching at this read... 

And then you vanish—and with you, their meanings. Join renowned archaeologist Genevieve von Petzinger on an Indiana Jones- worthy ...

(360)

the first signs genevieve von petzinger from ideas.ted.com

7 Jun 2017 — The 32 signs documented by von Petzinger include dots, asterisks, spirals and negative hands. Negative hands, ...

~

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Still Waters said:

Welcome Ianus, make yourself at home :) 

Thanks, will do

40 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

:st Heavens! You have quite the task ahead of you. Good Luck with that.

Well, once the goal set we just concentrate on each little step, don't we? ;)

• Like 3

Welcome to UM Ianus  :st

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, third_eye said:

Funnily enough, I am currently scratching at this read... 

[...]

Quite interesting, thanks!  Love her premise:

[...] was drawn to the often-overlooked abstract signs: the disks, triangles, dots, circles and lines. “There was something about them that I found much more interesting than the animals and the people,”

And then there's the petroglyphs all over the Alps:

Composizione_geometrica_chiamata_mappa_di_Bedolina_-_Bedolina_R_1_-_Capo_di_Ponte_(Foto_Luca_Giarelli).jpg.08a782e4cb42f21d12d68eb398d6e2a5.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_Drawings_in_Valcamonica#/media/File:Composizione_geometrica_chiamata_mappa_di_Bedolina_-_Bedolina_R_1_-_Capo_di_Ponte_(Foto_Luca_Giarelli).jpg

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, susieice said:

Welcome to UM Ianus  :st

Thank you!

---

But draconum dentibus flammaque horripilo! --not sure I can really face life's dragons; I fear I'd rather hide somewhere :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ianus said:

Salutations to everyone!

I finally decided to make me an account on this very nice site --It took a considerable effort because of my idiosyncrasy for any and all internet footprint, but I think it is worth it.

I very soon realised that this must be done in chronological order; moreover, I cannot go with translations, which quite complicates my endeavour.

I am currently on the astoundingly large Roman literature, having read most of the republic authors and gnawing at the empire. My Italian education fortunately left in me some Latin bases from which to soar (even in scientific high schools we are taught Latin).

Next steps, learn to a reading minimum ancient Greek, to aggress their own large stock (I am accepting advices on easy authors: Thucydides?); and then, lo!, I'll have to learn to read sumerian and akkadian in order to get back to the very beginning. No worry.

Well, once that settled, I will have the basis to redescend to Stephen King and beyond.

Cheers

I recommend Homer, but I read the english version.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

I recommend Homer, but I read the english version.

Well, I'd like to start with him(?), but I'm scared of poets of ancient people while still learning their language. For what I experienced, the roman poetic syntax is overwhelming for a newbie, and it becomes clearer and wonderful as you become acquainted with the language.  --But he(?) is one of my majour targets!

(I read the Iliad in a translation, but that does not count for my endeavour!, it is at most propedeutic B))

• Like 1

Doh... 

Homer-Simpson-Injecting-Donuts-Into-The-

...Nuts...

~

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, third_eye said:

Doh... 

...Nuts...

Frankly, if Bob Dylan got a nobel for literature, Matt Groening should have two.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome :)

On 7/8/2021 at 1:41 PM, Ianus said:

Salutations to everyone!

Cheers

You'll enjoy Sir Terry Pratchett's books once you get to them, I still aint read them all. :yes:

• Like 1

I admire your ambitious goal.  I was a voracious reader, averaging 4-7 books a week for over twenty years.

Lately, I'm coasting on this, but it was a glorious trip while it persisted.

I'm a big fan of setting personal unattainable ideals.

After all, if our ideals never exceed our capabilities, are they ideals at all?

You have a great journey ahead of you... enjoy

• Like 1