Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

School wins appeal to use electric shock devices on students to 'correct' behaviour

Still Waters

46 minutes ago, aztek said:

if they were doing it anyway, and no one got in troubles, what is the significance of the ruling?

Ignorance of the issue.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, aztek said:

if they were doing it anyway, and no one got in troubles, what is the significance of the ruling?

From the wikipedia page:

"The center has been condemned for torture by the United Nations Special Rapporteur on Torture."

"While the FDA issued a formal ban on the GED in 2020, the device continues to be used on some residents pending an administrative stay for the duration of the COVID-19 pandemic.[2]"

"The Judge Rotenberg Center's behavior modification program uses the methods of applied behavior analysis and relies heavily on aversion therapy. Aversives used by the JRC include contingent food programs, long-term restraints, sensory deprivation, and GED shocks. While JRC claims to rely mainly on positive behavior support and contends that aversives are used only as a last resort when positive intervention has failed, multiple state reports have found that aversives are used for minor infractions, and that no significant positive behavior support programs exist."

"In a video that surfaced in 2011, JRC staff tied an autistic boy face-down to a four-point board and shocked him 31 times at the highest amperage setting. The first shock was given for failing to take off his coat when asked, and the remaining 30 shocks were given for screaming and tensing up while being shocked. The boy was later hospitalized with third degree burns and acute stress disorder, but no action was taken against any of the staff as neither the law nor JRC policy had been broken. In a separate incident, two residents were awoken from their beds at night, restrained, and shocked 77 and 29 times (respectively) on the false allegation that they had misbehaved. The center's founder, Matthew Israel, was indicted on criminal charges for ordering a video of the incident destroyed and was forced to resign his position at the JRC as part of a plea deal to avoid prosecution.[3]"

• Sad 2

More from the Wikipedia page:

"An FDA investigation found that some parents and guardians were pressured into giving consent to put their child on the GED, that they were not provided with accurate information about the device's risks, and that other options were not exhausted before resorting to the GED. The agency also found that the GED could cause both physical and psychological harm, including pain, burns, tissue damage, depression, fear, and aggression. Furthermore, they concluded that the GED device may have caused one resident to enter a catatonic state, and that it can in some cases worsen the behaviors that it claims to treat."

The methods the school uses would be bad enough if the victims were completely in control of themselves and fully understood what was being asked of them and why, but if their mind is already 'malfunctioning', if they are 'living in their own world(their own Hell)' how can they comply satisfactorily? This type of regime is bound to attract a particular sadistic type of person to it's staff, or at the very least, staff who blindly obey orders and are unwilling to speak out. I can't help but think that when this particular hornets' nest is eventually broken up and destroyed, worse horrors will be uncovered including connections to the school. 

• Sad 2

12 hours ago, aztek said:

there has to be a reason why parents allow it, maybe they know something you do not, deal with issues you never heard of, and are in a position you can't even imagine.

my uncle admitted his 30 year old daughter into mental institution, she was not violent,  was not trying to hurt anyone or herself,  at first i was very much angry at him, and his wife, then i found out things i did not know, and i understood why they did it, and believe they did the right thing. 

Damning criticism if ever there was...

My father worked as a supervisor at a government sponsored facility called The Sunshine Center.  It was for Down Syndrome young people, giving them occupational therapy manufacturing items for sale, also giving them an income and facilitating their integration into society outside the home. The more suitable and  capable were placed in public jobs outside. It created a community of DS individuals where they could meet, associate, even date and marry. These were DS people we usually associate with the affliction. However DS has a dark side of much more dysfunctional individuals who are so much a danger to themselves and others, they require institutionalization. They're usually home raised up to the point or age where their families are no longer capable of caring for them.

Aggression in Down's syndrome - Johnson - 2016 - Progress in Neurology and Psychiatry - Wiley Online Library

What in the absolute mother****ing **** is wrong with these people? Zapping disobedient children? Autistic children? This hellhole should burn

• Like 2

Just now, Autochthon1990 said:

What in the absolute mother****ing **** is wrong with these people? Zapping disobedient children? Autistic children? This hellhole should burn

More to the point, how are they getting away with it and being actively encouraged by a judge?!!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

More to the point, how are they getting away with it and being actively encouraged by a judge?!!

In MASSACHUSETTS. This isn't even like Texas or anything...I hope this goes to higher courts 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

From the wikipedia page:

pretty much proves what i said, no one got punished. condemning means absolutely nothing, 

3 minutes ago, aztek said:

pretty much proves what i said, no one got punished. condemning means absolutely nothing, 

Did you miss the bit about the founder of the school indicted on criminal charges and forced to resign his position?

Others have perhaps escaped punishment because of outdated laws that need urgent reform/technical loopholes.

1 minute ago, ouija ouija said:

Did you miss the bit about the founder of the school indicted on criminal charges and forced to resign his position?

Others have perhaps escaped punishment because of outdated laws that need urgent reform/technical loopholes.

yet they continued and no one who was actually doing it got any punishment,   i guess you missed that, oh yea, and the criminal charge,  for destroying evidence, not for what actually went on in the school. you missed that too

• Like 1

1 minute ago, aztek said:

yet they continued and no one who was actually doing it got any punishment,   i guess you missed that, oh yea, and the criminal charge,  for destroying evidence, not for what actually went on in the school. you missed that too

Why did he destroy the video? Obviously because it was incriminating. Forcing him to resign his position was probably the most they could do given the lack of evidence . . . . . evidence showing what went on in the school.

Also, who knows if strings were being pulled in the background?

10 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

Why did he destroy the video? Obviously because it was incriminating. Forcing him to resign his position was probably the most they could do given the lack of evidence . . . . . evidence showing what went on in the school.

Also, who knows if strings were being pulled in the background?

yea, they outright committed a crime, the shock was not used for a therapy, or to stop a guy from attacking others, it was punishment, and those fkers who did it 30 times seem to enjoy it,  like i said in my first post, 'as long as school does not abuse it" and they sure did. 

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, aztek said:

good, shock collars are animal cruelty

If used incorrectly they are.    They can also be very effective.  I think a shock collar has saved several dogs of mine through the years.   If they would get to a point down the driveway it would beep then it would shock if they didn't stop.   Really only took 1 or 2 shocks and the dog would never go past a certain point again.  The beep would be enough.  Soon after, they don't need the collar on at all.   Many dogs are hit on the road, but never one of mine.   I did lose 2 cats that way through the years.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Myles said:

If used incorrectly they are.    They can also be very effective.  I think a shock collar has saved several dogs of mine through the years.   If they would get to a point down the driveway it would beep then it would shock if they didn't stop.   Really only took 1 or 2 shocks and the dog would never go past a certain point again.  The beep would be enough.  Soon after, they don't need the collar on at all.   Many dogs are hit on the road, but never one of mine.   I did lose 2 cats that way through the years.  

They don't always work.  I remember a friend who was trying to teach the dog not to jump the fence.  She put the shock collar on and set the boundary at the fence.  The dog jumped and got shocked but landed on the other side of the  fence and ran away.     It just seems smarter to make a higher fence.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

They don't always work.  I remember a friend who was trying to teach the dog not to jump the fence.  She put the shock collar on and set the boundary at the fence.  The dog jumped and got shocked but landed on the other side of the  fence and ran away.     It just seems smarter to make a higher fence.

You also have to help teach along with the collar.   For me, it was me out there telling them to stop, which coincided with the beep.   After that, my demand of stop would work anywhere.  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Myles said:

You also have to help teach along with the collar.   For me, it was me out there telling them to stop, which coincided with the beep.   After that, my demand of stop would work anywhere.  

Too many people think dogs know more than they do.  When they are puppies they are like babies, just instinct and exuberance.   Too many dogs end up in the pound because people  expect then to think like a human.

• Like 2

Use a taser on a child with mental disabilities or autism?  Only the pseudo science of psychology could think of this as helpful. Barbaric and it shows you the state of our judicial system

Edited by tortugabob
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

:wacko:  My daughter quit her PHD program in Behavioral psychology because of that practice.   I would never let my autistic grandson near a school like that.  

If someone would do that to my child it would be the last thing they did. When it comes to my family I would take down the universe before allowing anyone to hurt them.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Myles said:

that wont stop a mental patient from harming himself or others, 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Myles said:

In New Mexico all kids that are to be punished (in public school) were sent to the principal so that the teacher is not involved in the decision of what consequences will be given.  When my daughter was in school it had changed.  The teacher had no time to teach because of needing to discipline one or two students in the class.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, aztek said:

that wont stop a mental patient from harming himself or others, 

Not at all.   I just think of the pain in the butt students.   My wife has been a teacher for years and it is now nearly impossible to do anything with a poorly behaved student.   There are no threats to use on them.   Many of the parents defend the child every time.  Principles offices will tell the teachers to keep them in the class even though they are disruptive.  

• Like 2