Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Pro-China Propaganda Campaign Used Fake Followers Made With AI-Generated Images

spartan max2

Pro-China Propaganda Act Used Fake Followers Made With AI-Generated Images

A pro-China propaganda campaign that’s been bashing the US on social media created fake followers with the help of AI-generated images. 

Since June, the campaign has been posting English-language videos critical of the Trump administration on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube, according to research company Graphika, which has been tracking the group’s activities. 

Graphika dubs the campaign “Spamouflage Dragon.” And like other propaganda activities, the pro-China group uses fake accounts to share and post comments on its content to help it gain wider circulation. However, Graphika noticed something odd with the profile photos belonging to these fake accounts: In some cases, the headshots appear to be the work of an AI program designed to create artificial human faces. 

https://www.pcmag.com/news/pro-china-propaganda-act-used-fake-followers-made-with-ai-generated-images

With the internet and social media and everything, this type of stuff is going to become more and more of a problem overtime.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hate to see a country without freedom and democracy get too much power.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

Hate to see a country without freedom and democracy get too much power.

I hate it even more when such regimes like Xi's can JUSTIFIABLY wag a finger under our noses, condemning our own government excesses and human rights violations.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

That's a bit bizzarre.  Are they too ethical to just rip off existing photos?  

I think it's safe to say NO modern governments have a right to that claim.  If I were the guy in Xi's regime that was tasked with creating such propaganda, I'd push this kind of purely fictional creation just to see how many would accept it without any investigation at all.  These days that group seems to be growing all the time.

43 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

That's a bit bizzarre.  Are they too ethical to just rip off existing photos?  

Building a quality AI to do it would pay off more in the long-run and would become quicker.

23 minutes ago, and then said:

I hate it even more when such regimes like Xi's can JUSTIFIABLY wag a finger under our noses, condemning our own government excesses and human rights violations.  

I challenge the 'JUSTIFIABLY' part of that. You are probably referring to some 'CONTROVERSIAL' issues you have your position on.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

I challenge the 'JUSTIFIABLY' part of that. You are probably referring to some 'CONTROVERSIAL' issues you have your position on.

I don't believe we are as consistently brutal as the CCP is but there can be no doubt that our government is involved with much that the CCP also do to their people.  One prime example is the treatment of Americans who protested and or rioted in DC last January.  The charges brought against these citizens seem to be justified but in reality, the damage being done to their lives and reputations is devastating and the charges do not justify the treatment many of them are receiving.  Here we are, six months out from that day and even though not ONE of those 5-600 Americans have been charged with INSURRECTION, our news media still use the term to continue to stir passions between Americans.  

Another example can be found in the handling of the Ashli Babbitt killing.  There are thousands of hours of CCTV recordings of that day and the DoJ will not make any of it available.  There really isn't sufficient justification for stonewalling on these public records.  In the past we've known that such actions are expected in 3rd world countries but not in the U.S.  

I could understand having those tapes redacted where it might be needed but to simply refuse to make them available smacks of authoritarianism.  When any government breaks its own laws as a convenience to avoid making damaging evidence available, then that government is engaging in self-protection at the expense of the people's trust.

You know that American-America haters such as a few of our members that I will not name eat this kind of propaganda up.  It's like some people get a sexual thrill from thinking the USA is a bad place full of immoral people.  China on the other hand, definitely the good guys.  So much better than us :rolleyes: 

• Like 1