Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Euro 2020 was worst ever tournament for crime

Eldorado

England fans launched “random attacks on Italians” after the final of the Euro 2020 tournament, police have said.

Forces across the country are still collating figures on the number of incidents targeting supporters of Italy, who won the tournament on penalties.

More than 2,300 police incidents linked to the Euros have so far been recorded, surpassing the 2018 World Cup to make it the worst football tournament on record for crime.

They include stabbings, glassings, fights and assaults on police officers, with at least 622 people arrested so far in England and Wales.

Full story at MSN: Link

• Haha 1
  • Sad 3

8 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

England fans launched “random attacks on Italians” after the final of the Euro 2020 tournament, police have said.

Forces across the country are still collating figures on the number of incidents targeting supporters of Italy, who won the tournament on penalties.

More than 2,300 police incidents linked to the Euros have so far been recorded, surpassing the 2018 World Cup to make it the worst football tournament on record for crime.

They include stabbings, glassings, fights and assaults on police officers, with at least 622 people arrested so far in England and Wales.

If I were in charge and this kind of thing was not happening in any other tournament country I would ban the UK from next year's tournament.  The teams are representing their country and if their countrymen can't behave then they should loose their position in the tournament.   In the U.S. soccer (what you call football) has rules that include the behviour of the audience.  If a team fan creates violence the team is punished.  

• Like 1

Why do all football thugs look the same?

Large, bald, testosterone-fuelled right-wing burger-necked EDL activists, with their white van parked nearby.

.....or am I generalising? ;)

• Haha 4

The problem is..... The English have no clear identity, unlike the Scots and the Welsh.

The flag most people identify with in England is the Union Flag, which is the 'default' flag for the UK.  The cross of St.George was hijacked by extremists a long time ago.

1 minute ago, acute said:

The problem is..... The English have no clear identity, unlike the Scots and the Welsh.

The flag most people identify with in England is the Union Flag, which is the 'default' flag for the UK.  The cross of St.George was hijacked by extremists a long time ago.

Isn't the Union flag the UK flag?  What flag should they identify with?

• Like 1

Just now, Desertrat56 said:

Isn't the Union flag the UK flag?  What flag should they identify with?

The Scots are proud of their Saltire flag, the Welsh rally behind their Red Dragon, but the English don't feel particularly proud of their Cross of St.George, because it has negative connotations of Empire, conquest, and subjugation.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, acute said:

The Scots are proud of their Saltire flag, the Welsh rally behind their Red Dragon, but the English don't feel particularly proud of their Cross of St.George, because it has negative connotations of Empire, conquest, and subjugation.

And the Union Jack?  That is the flag that was flying for the british during our revolutionary war.   

• Like 2

Just now, Desertrat56 said:

And the Union Jack?  That is the flag that was flying for the british during our revolutionary war.   

We don't have the same allegiance to the flag in the way that you do in the US, and Northern Ireland isn't represented on our Union Flag at all!

• Confused 1

It's that Sex Pistols over Pink Floyd syndrome... 

~

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, acute said:

It doesn't really happen with Rugby or Cricket.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, acute said:

We don't have the same allegiance to the flag in the way that you do in the US, and Northern Ireland isn't represented on our Union Flag at all!

What about the Manx.  They have their own flag too.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, acute said:

St Patrick's saltire?

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

St Patrick's saltire?

Well... yes, historically.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Desertrat56 said:

What about the Manx.  They have their own flag too.   

The Isle of Man isn't in the UK, and it was never in the EU.

Edited by acute
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, acute said:

https://www.royal.uk/union-jack

The Red diagonal cross with the white background represents Ireland, Wales is not represented.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, acute said:

You have some funny ideas about us English.

Lets just be clear, come St Georges Day our high streets are lined with our cross not the Union Jack. During Euro 2020 (and still present in large numbers at the moment) many households have our flag hanging our their windows and flying high on flag poles. 

We are very proud, have a solid national identity, and we embrace it. While we are English we are also British so the Union Jack is about too.

Our football hooliganism arises from an Englishman feeling very Nationalistic during our progression of our team through the tournament, with plenty of beer added in, with disappointment over loosing the final added in, with the presence of Italian men supporting their team who won, many singing `its coming to Rome, its coming to Rome, football is coming to Rome`.

Next thing you know they are looking for Italians to beat on.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

If I were in charge and this kind of thing was not happening in any other tournament country I would ban the UK from next year's tournament.  The teams are representing their country and if their countrymen can't behave then they should loose their position in the tournament.   In the U.S. soccer (what you call football) has rules that include the behviour of the audience.  If a team fan creates violence the team is punished.  

We have had issues with bad behaviours surrounding football for decades, although it did appear to be getting better (that may be due to me following football less over the years though).  I  fully agree that serious action needs to take place to hopefully deal with the issue.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TashaMarie said:

https://www.royal.uk/union-jack

The Red diagonal cross with the white background represents Ireland, Wales is not represented.

Quite right, thanks.

In my defence..... It was late, I was tired, and I was threatening to filibuster. ;)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

Lets just be clear, come St Georges Day our high streets are lined with our cross not the Union Jack. During Euro 2020 (and still present in large numbers at the moment) many households have our flag hanging our their windows and flying high on flag poles. 

That depends on where you are.

If you live in a sleepy village in Kent (for example) you have likely never seen the St.George's Cross hijacked by a Right-Wing march or demonstration,

and the local 'only football thug in the village' is probably known affectionately as "Barmy Barry".

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Eldorado said:

Whilst I do think there definitely would have been trouble and attacks on some Italian supporters, I do question the article and the way it has been put forth. For example there are many many videos on youtube currently that are all titled 'English fans attack Italian fans' etc etc......not one of those videos actually shows what it claims in the title. The majority are English fans fighting against other english fans who tried to get into the stadium without tickets. Some are of fans fighting from other teams from another time....nothing to do with the Euros. Drunk people fighting in bars etc with stabbings and glassings will always happen, this does not mean the English fans 'stabbed' or 'glassed' Italian fans, hence why I think they way in which they have potrayed it makes it sound as if this is what was happening.

I have yet to see one video of any Italians being attacked by English fans.....whilst I am not suggesting this didn't happen, it certainly didn't happen in mass numbers nor do any of the videos support that assertion

Curious if anyone has come across any videos that show Italy being attacked by English fans?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, acute said:

The Isle of Man isn't in the UK, and it was never in the EU.

Oh thanks for that.  I thought it was.   I guess that's why they get angry when people call them Irish.   So they are their own country?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

I guess that's why they get angry when people call them Irish.   So they are their own country?

It's a self-governing Island Nation, but also a British Protectorate, like the Channel Isles.

They have their own Parliament and laws, but Queen Liz is Head of State, and the UK is responsible for Defence.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, acute said:

Quite right, thanks.

In my defence..... It was late, I was tired, and I was threatening to filibuster. ;)

No problem, it happens to the best of us.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

You have some funny ideas about us English.

We are very proud, have a solid national identity, and we embrace it. While we are English we are also British so the Union Jack is about too.

Our football hooliganism arises from an Englishman feeling very Nationalistic during our progression of our team through the tournament, with plenty of beer added in, with disappointment over loosing the final added in, with the presence of Italian men supporting their team who won, many singing `its coming to Rome, its coming to Rome, football is coming to Rome`.

Next thing you know they are looking for Italians to beat on.

Yet this doesn't explain the poor behaviour in comparison to either Rugby or Cricket fans.

• Like 1