Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Still Waters

18-year-old joining Blue Origin's 1st passenger spaceflight

Still Waters

An 18-year-old is about to become the youngest person in space, rocketing away with an aviation pioneer who will become the oldest at age 82.

Blue Origin announced Thursday that instead of a $28 million auction winner launching with founder Jeff Bezos on Tuesday, Dutch runner-up Oliver Daemen will be on board. The company said he'll be the first paying customer, but did not disclose the price of his ticket.

"I am super excited to experience zero-g and see the world from above," Daemen said in a video posted by Dutch broadcaster RTL.

Also soaring on Blue Origin's first launch with passengers: Bezos' brother and Wally Funk, one of 13 female pilots who went through the same studies in the early 1960s as NASA's Mercury 7 astronauts did, but were rejected for being women.

The four will blast off from West Texas atop a New Shepard rocket for a 10-minute flight.

https://phys.org/news/2021-07-blue-year-old-space-july.html

Related:

And

• Like 5

and then

I can't even imagine having that opportunity at 18.  I wish all of them fair winds and following seas!  What an adventure.

• Like 4