Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

1st female grizzly bear in 40 years collared in Washington state

Still Waters

11 hours ago, Swede said:

his does not mitigate the reality that your blanket "fact" is demonstrably false. Perhaps even more egregious is that your "fact" led contributor and moderator Rashore (#13) to reach an inaccurate conclusion related to a tangential matter.

Oh my, how egregious :lol: whatever shall I do to atone? Look man, that’s southern Oregon and this is Western Washington, and I can tell you from having encountered black bears here that locally they are not 400 lbs.

On average, black bears in the Western U.S. weigh 100-300 pounds. https://wdfw.wa.gov/species-habitats/species/ursus-americanus#desc-range

Here where I live 300 would be HUGE.  Nonetheless a 200 pound bear is terrifying when they walk into your camp, which I have experienced twice.

11 hours ago, OverSword said:

Oh my, how egregious, whatever shall I do to atone? Look man, that’s southern Oregon and this is Western Washington, and I can tell you from having encountered black bears here that locally they are not 400 lbs.

On average, black bears in the Western U.S. weigh 100-300 pounds. https://wdfw.wa.gov/species-habitats/species/ursus-americanus#desc-range

Here where I live 300 would be HUGE.  Nonetheless a 200 pound bear is terrifying when they walk into your camp, which I have experienced twice.

1)    Apologize to Rashore for providing false information.

2)  Apparently you did not read the rest of the information previously supplied. To reiterate:

https://www.nwbiggame.com/top_10.cfm

In studying this information, you will note that trophy black bears have been harvested from:

Clackamas County: 1 specimen. #4 of the Rifle Top10. Score: 21 11/16.

Washington County: 1 specimen. #6 of the Rifle Top 10. Score: 21 8/16.

Hood River County: 2 specimens. #4 of the Black Powder Top 10. Score: 21 2/16.

#10 of the Black Powder Top 10. Score: 18 6/16.

Wasco County: 1 specimen. #9 of the Archery Top 10. Score: 21 1/16.

Three of the above counties border Multnomah County, which is a small county. You will also note that four of the five scores are well in excess of the previously mentioned greater-than-19 figure.

Edit: Format.

Edited by Swede
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Swede said:

1)    Apologize to Rashore for providing false information.

Woah hey now. Though I appreciate the thoughtfulness behind the thought of asking for apology an all that... please don't ask another member to apologize on my behalf. Or any member really. 

And really, maybe all of us should quit going off tangent and all and get back to the OP.. this is pretty exciting news for there to be the first female, and with cubs! to for sure be located and tracked down and collared in the area in 40 years. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, rashore said:

Woah hey now. Though I appreciate the thoughtfulness behind the thought of asking for apology an all that... please don't ask another member to apologize on my behalf. Or any member really. 

And really, maybe all of us should quit going off tangent and all and get back to the OP.. this is pretty exciting news for there to be the first female, and with cubs! to for sure be located and tracked down and collared in the area in 40 years. 

Copy.

• Thanks 1