Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Deja vu

docyabut2

What I had quite frequently as a child was the sense that I have seen this before and I knew what I was going to see/hear before it happened.

I was curious about the nature of the experience even as a child and wanted to prove it. One time I remember blurting out the exact words my brother was going to say a second or two before he said it but he said it anyway. It was not something easily predictable and he was like 'How'd you know that? How'd you know that?. When I had that surety level it was accompanied by a wavy consciousness. As I aged I lost this ability.

My leading theory is that there are different type of experiences labeled 'deja vu' and mine was somehow my consciousness being impatient (quick?)  and jumped itself a little ahead of the physical timeline. Don't ask me to do it now and it was not something I could control even back then.

I don't think my deja vu was related to past lives but other peoples may well be.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Yes.

Because it's deja vu all over again 

But how do you know that?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, XenoFish said:

https://www.sciencefocus.com/the-human-body/deja-vu/

“Déjà vu is basically a conflict between the sensation of familiarity and the awareness that the familiarity is incorrect. And it’s the awareness that you’re being tricked that makes déjà vu so unique compared to other memory events,” he explains.

in my experience of what one would class as Déjà vu; they have been insignificant & mundane= for example:

sitting at the dinner table & asking someone to pass the salt- you go: 'wow, Déjà vu, this has happened before'

that's because it has... Probably many times - the brain just locks onto it- why? Who knows

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

The only time in my life I experienced a dejavu feeling was the nite I met my husband. I felt like I knew him  that we knew each other, being with him felt familiar. . It was bizzare, I like your explanation. 

The same happened with my girlfriend. In fact, I knew that I loved her before we even met, physically. She told me that she loved me from the moment she started talking to me. We both share the same thoughts on marriage (I told my mom after two weeks that I would end up marrying this woman), and even want kids relatively soon.

Been together almost four months, and have been basically living together for the same amount of time (mostly due to COVID--we bubbled).

We both agree that it felt like two long lost lovers reuniting after an exceptionally long time.

I didn't want to derail and make this thread about me, but your post struck a chord.

Edited by Nuclear Wessel
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, ThereWeAreThen said:

But how do you know that?

Not to be simplistic but the same way anything that's known is known. Even when it's just a feeling. 

8 minutes ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

The same happened with my girlfriend. In fact, I knew that I loved her before we even met, physically. She told me that she loved me from the moment she started talking to me. We both share the same thoughts on marriage, and even want kids relatively soon.

Been together almost four months, and have been basically living together for the same amount of time (mostly due to COVID--we bubbled).

We both agree that it felt like two long lost lovers reuniting after an exceptionally long time.

I didn't want to derail and make this thread about me, but your post struck a chord.

That is the way it was with Sean and I, we literally moved in together a few weeks after we met too. I think soul mate is silly, but In our case he is my soul mate.  When we were together 4 months we were planning our first kid. Lol 

‘’Sean and I are 26 years on this journey together and the feeling of this was meant to be is still going strong, now I am just so grateful to have my fairy tale, I am truly loved and I truly live to love him. We love being together. Maybe it is what true love is. 

I am so happy for you and my only advice is enjoy every moment this is what you were waiting fo and deserve.  :wub:

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

That is the way it was with Sean and I, we literally moved in together a few weeks after we met too. I think soul mate is silly, but I get it. When we were together 4 months we were planning our first kid. Lol 

‘’Sean and I are 26 years on this journey together and the feeling of this was meant to be is still going strong. Maybe it is what true love is. 

I am so happy for you and my only advice is enjoy every moment this is what you were waiting for. :wub:

Thanks. :)

Logically, soulmates don't exist; the idea is, as you say, silly.

It certainly made me think, though.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't at least entertain the possibility.

Edited by Nuclear Wessel
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

Thanks. :)

Logically, soulmates don't exist; the idea is, as you say, silly.

It certainly made me think, though.

Same here, I must admit I have made an exception to the soul mate thing myself.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There is such a thing as a soulmate but like a lot of things, it isn't what most people think it is. 

37 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

One time I remember blurting out the exact words my brother was going to say a second or two before he said it

he repeated you= your real reaction was: 'why have you just repeated what i said'? ;)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

he repeated you= your real reaction was: 'why have you just repeated what i said'? ;)

ha ha ...the words would not have made sense as originating from me. No I don't remember the details. I even remember knowing what TV newscasters were going to say.

1 hour ago, Sherapy said:

The only time in my life I experienced a dejavu feeling was the nite I met my husband. I felt like I knew him  that we knew each other, being with him felt familiar. . It was bizzare, I like your explanation. 

In my belief system we can come into this lifetime sometimes with a contract to spend it with another soul we knew from a previous lifetime.

Just what popped into my head as I read your post. 

Edited by papageorge1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

In my belief system we can come into this lifetime sometimes with a contract to spend it with another soul we knew from a previous lifetime.

Just what popped into my head as I read your post. 

You know I like that.:wub:

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

I have heard of genetic memory, but unfortunately I don't think that would be possible in this case. When my mother and father immigrated to the US, their was no other family that been in this country to our knowledge. Thanks for the help and the link, I appreciate it very much. I am certain that there is a logical explanation for what happened to me. I just have not found it yet, and I suspect that most likely I never will. I will just have to chalk this one up to Unexplained or maybe someone who posts to this thread has some Idea.

Thank you my friend!:tu:

My (first) explanation would be that you  briefly connected to the universal consciousness, which spans both time and space.  While YOU had never been in the house before, other consciousness's had and you accessed them via the link of the cosmic consciousness In a way you were viewing a virtual recording of the house as seen through another's eyes while actually also observing it in real time

Imagine you had seen a place on you tube some years before and then entered it in real life.  It is that kind of experience   

A person can learn to do this more regularly and specifically/precisely, to see into the past, as well as longitudinally around the world in present time. 

I have never had dejavu, but  have  many experiences with "premonition" ie knowing what will happen and knowing what a place will look like before i enter it.

If I didn't understand what was happening, I could  easily confuse it with deja vu  

Another simple explanation is that our minds work incredibly fast. Much faster than we realise, processing millions of pieces of data  per second.

There is an increasing body of evidence that only a minuscule proportion of the sensory data processed by the unconscious mind (capable of processing approximately 11 million bits per second) is referred to the conscious mind (capable of processing approximately 50 bits per second).

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/14681360500487470#:~:text=There is an increasing body,approximately 50 bits per second).

thus your conscious mind can be reprocessing data already accepted and processed by your subconscious, creating a "twinning effect " of de javu 

Edited by Mr Walker
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

My (first) explanation would be that you  briefly connected to the universal consciousness, which spans both time and space.  While YOU had never been in the house before, other consciousness's had and you accessed them via the link of the cosmic consciousness In a way you were viewing a virtual recording of the house as seen through another's eyes while actually also observing it in real time

Imagine you had seen a place on you tube some years before and then entered it in real life.  It is that kind of experience   

A person can learn to do this more regularly and specifically/precisely, to see into the past, as well as longitudinally around the world in present time. 

I have never had dejavu, but  have  many experiences with "premonition" ie knowing what will happen and knowing what a place will look like before i enter it.

If I didn't understand what was happening, I could  easily confuse it with deja vu  

Thanks, but I do not believe in a Universal Consciousness in the manner you speak of. I have never had premonitions of any kind. I believe there is another way to explain this without any form of supernatural involvement.

Peace.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, papageorge1 said:

What I had quite frequently as a child was the sense that I have seen this before and I knew what I was going to see/hear before it happened.

I was curious about the nature of the experience even as a child and wanted to prove it. One time I remember blurting out the exact words my brother was going to say a second or two before he said it but he said it anyway. It was not something easily predictable and he was like 'How'd you know that? How'd you know that?. When I had that surety level it was accompanied by a wavy consciousness. As I aged I lost this ability.

My leading theory is that there are different type of experiences labeled 'deja vu' and mine was somehow my consciousness being impatient (quick?)  and jumped itself a little ahead of the physical timeline. Don't ask me to do it now and it was not something I could control even back then.

I don't think my deja vu was related to past lives but other peoples may well be.

I agree  that this is highly likely 

if you had learned to read recognise and use your subconscious a bit better than some people,  it is even more likely  

Ie your subconscious perceives and reacts to data  instantly  Your conscious mind lags by a second or several.

That lag creates a twinning effect of perception where your mind "sees" or processes the same input twice. 

1 minute ago, Manwon Lender said:

Thanks, but I do not believe in a Universal Consciousness in the manner you speak of. I have never had premonitions of any kind. I believe there is another way to explain this without any form of supernatural involvement.

Peace.

see the second half of my post and the next one 

That is a more "acceptable" rationale but it doesn't explain other phenomenon deriving from  access to the cosmic conscouness 

Its interesting You are Buddhist and one of the tents of Buddhism is this form of universal consciousness 

Hence springs the Buddhist notion of no self. The Buddhists say that ultimately there is no self because in that aspect, universal consciousness, you cannot experience a self. Any entity-ness stops you from experiencing this vastness which is the elimination of separateness, the elimination of discrimination. There is complete non-differentiation. There is no separation, no two, and no thought that there is one

https://www.diamondapproach.org/glossary/refinery_phrases/universal-consciousness

My point is that this is not just a belief, but a physical reality, experienced and learned by many humans, including Buddha  

Personally, I only "dabble at the margins" of the abilities which linkage to the universal consciousness gives you, but that is more than most people ever experience 

27 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

see the second half of my post and the next one 

That is a more "acceptable" rationale but it doesn't explain other phenomenon deriving from  access to the cosmic conscouness 

Its interesting You are Buddhist and one of the tents of Buddhism is this form of universal consciousness 

Hence springs the Buddhist notion of no self. The Buddhists say that ultimately there is no self because in that aspect, universal consciousness, you cannot experience a self. Any entity-ness stops you from experiencing this vastness which is the elimination of separateness, the elimination of discrimination. There is complete non-differentiation. There is no separation, no two, and no thought that there is one

https://www.diamondapproach.org/glossary/refinery_phrases/universal-consciousness

My point is that this is not just a belief, but a physical reality, experienced and learned by many humans, including Buddha  

Personally, I only "dabble at the margins" of the abilities which linkage to the universal consciousness gives you, but that is more than most people ever experience 

No it isn’t’, you are projecting your own belief onto Buddhism.

‘You only demonstrate you have no practice of Buddhism at all.

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Will Due said:

There is such a thing as a soulmate but like a lot of things, it isn't what most people think it is. 

It is a fun idea if nothing else.

3 hours ago, Sherapy said:

No it isn’t’, you are projecting your own belief onto Buddhism.

‘You only demonstrate you have no practice of Buddhism at all.

Rather it is YOU who is projecting your needs and desires onto Buddhism.

You do this with everything, and have ever since your first posts here.

It is one reason i find it almost impossible to communicate effectively with you.

IMO You simply cant see outside of the box you have constructed to protect yourself.    

I've studied and taught Buddhism . I incorporate elements of it into my own life, but I am not a Buddhist  

There are many forms of Buddhism, and as many individual beliefs within Buddhism as there are within Christianity or Islam 

My point here was that one of the principle tenets of Buddhism is the universality of consciousness and existence 

Take that beyond mere belief into physical practice and you have the sort of experiences which I have. 

I repeat.

If this was NOT the case what would be the point of practicing Buddhism and seeking the truths it holds?

It is meant to PHYSICALLY change you, and your relationship with the universe.

In the sutras, we find analogies that describe the Buddha as a doctor, knowledge of Dharma as the treatment, and all lay people as patients. The occurrence of disease is closely related to one's mental, physical and spiritual health, society, culture, and environment. It is not enough to approach medicine in a manner that simply eradicates symptoms; the psychosocial aspects of disease and its mind based causes and remedies must be a primary consideration. Holistic care involves harmonization of all these elements, and the Buddhist philosophy offers great insight for the physician. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6330872/

According to tradition, the Buddha initially doubted whether the reality he realized was too subtle to be conveyed in words. Thus, in the “Detailed Account on the Natural Acts [of the Buddha]” (“Lalitavistarasūtra,” Vaidya 1958, 286), we are told that the Buddha said to himself (my own translation from the Sanskrit), “I found a Dharma, profound, peaceful, pure, luminous, nectar-like, and not conditioned. Even if I taught it, nobody would understand it. 

https://link.springer.com/referenceworkentry/10.1007%2F978-1-4020-8265-8_1596

However it is not restricted to Buddhism. Any human can experience enlightenment or gnosis and connection to the universal consciousness along many different pathways.

That is because it is not a belief or a state of mind but a physical reality, accessible to humans,  which enhances human skills and abilities 

Thus, even an atheist can experience it. 

Edited by Mr Walker

14 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

I've studied and taught Buddhism . I incorporate elements of it into my own life, but I am not a Buddhist 

Hi Walker

Are you sure you are not incorporating elements of your life onto Buddhism as that seems what you do with most philosophical perspectives?

:huh:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Will Due said:

Not to be simplistic but the same way anything that's known is known. Even when it's just a feeling. 

Through science?

3 hours ago, closed for business said:

Hi Walker

Are you sure you are not incorporating elements of your life onto Buddhism as that seems what you do with most philosophical perspectives?

:huh:

Sorry, but i don't see any  relevant difference .

Everyone does both, with any belief or value 

ie a person adapts their beliefs to their life, and their life to their beliefs 

There is no "one Buddhism"  anymore than there is " one Christianity" or  "one Islam"

Every individual lives a unique personal  variant of their faith.

My own values and beliefs,  grown from  my own experiences, incorporate strong elements of Buddhism Jainism, gaeanism, Judaism, and Christianity, but are perhaps mainly humanist 

Thus the following tenets of Buddhism are also reflected  in humanism and the other religions i mentioned 

What are the 5 pillars of Buddhism?
The Five Precepts
  • Refrain from taking life. Not killing any living being. ...
  • Refrain from taking what is not given. Not stealing from anyone.
  • Refrain from the misuse of the senses. Not having too much sensual pleasure. ...
  • Refrain from wrong speech. ...
  • Refrain from intoxicants that cloud the mind.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/buddhism/beliefs/fournobletruths_1.shtml

I dont strictly follow the first, but am 90% vegetarian   and support ethical treatment  of animals.

I follow the rest  quite strictly,  although what constitutes "wrong speech "is unclear. 

I see "wrong speech" as words which are designed to hurt others or are lies designed to benefit yourself  

from the Buddha

The Buddha was precise in his description of Right Speech. He defined it as “abstinence from false speech, abstinence from malicious speech, abstinence from harsh speech, and abstinence from idle chatter.” In the vernacular this means not lying, not using speech in ways that create discord among people, not using swear words or a cynical, hostile or raised tone of voice, and not engaging in gossip. Re-framed in the positive, these guidelines urge us to say only what is true, to speak in ways that promote harmony among people, to use a tone of voice that is pleasing, kind, and gentle, and to speak mindfully in order that our speech is useful and purposeful.

https://tricycle.org/trikedaily/family-dharma-right-speech-reconsidered/

Some might disagree, but i try very hard to stick to all those principles  I am not perfect, and so sometimes fail. 

The humanist principles my parents taught me in this area are almost identical. 

Edited by Mr Walker
  • Like 1

Page 2 and already off topic. This section never ceases to amaze me on how fast any thread can be derailed.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ThereWeAreThen said:

Through science?

The knowledge of what was originally planned grows through the acceptance of certain things as they really are.

It's not a matter of perspective. It's a matter of recognition. 

When that's changed up, that's when it being deja vu all over again, ends.

Edited by Will Due