Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Waspie_Dwarf

New SpaceX drone ship arrives at Port Canaveral

Waspie_Dwarf

New SpaceX drone ship arrives at Port Canaveral

A new SpaceX drone ship named “A Shortfall of Gravitas” was towed into Port Canaveral Thursday, completing a shuffling of SpaceX’s rocket landing platforms to support upcoming launches from Florida and California.

“A Shortfall of Gravitas” was towed from a construction facility in Louisiana after completing an initial series of sea trials. SpaceX teams at Port Canaveral will finish readying the drone ship for offshore landings of Falcon rocket boosters.

arrow3.gif  Read More: Spaceflight Now

Grey Area

I love this, whoever named the vessel I think had been reading Iain M Banks.  In his culture series the ships are all have eccentric names, one of which is Zero Gravitas.

I wonder what the next one will be called?

Waspie_Dwarf
1 hour ago, Grey Area said:

I love this, whoever named the vessel I think had been reading Iain M Banks.  In his culture series the ships are all have eccentric names, one of which is Zero Gravitas.

From the article:

The name of the new landing platform is a nod to “Experiencing A Significant Gravitas Shortfall,” a starship featured in the “Culture” science fiction novel series by the late Scottish author Iain M. Banks.

SpaceX’s two other drone ships are also named for sentient, planet-sized ships in Banks’ novels: “Just Read the Instructions” and “Of Course I Still Love You.”

1 hour ago, Grey Area said:

I wonder what the next one will be called?

There almost certainly won't be a next one. Elon Musk intends to phase out the Falcon 9 and Falcon Heavy once the Superheavy/Starship is operational. 

• Like 1

Grey Area
8 hours ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

From the article:

There almost certainly won't be a next one. Elon Musk intends to phase out the Falcon 9 and Falcon Heavy once the Superheavy/Starship is operational. 

I’m sorry Waspie I shoulda read the whole article, thanks for doing the work there.