Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Report predicts ‘societal collapse’ from 2040 onwards

Eldorado

On 8/24/2021 at 4:00 PM, aztek said:
On 8/24/2021 at 4:00 PM, aztek said:

show me what you mean on a real world example. show me where something like you describe already happened with consequences that you predict. 

Hi Aztek

Spartacus

• Haha 1

On 8/25/2021 at 12:00 AM, aztek said:

show me what you mean on a real world example. show me where something like you describe already happened with consequences that you predict. 

It will happen, and I will personally lead the masses.

Not before a few strong beers, of course!

Edited by Abramelin
  • Haha 2

On 7/20/2021 at 1:41 AM, Helen of Annoy said:

Forgot to say that they always keep the repressive mechanisms (easy, if the only paying job for a common man in the country is in police or army)

Hi Helen

I do my bit by giving them something to do(worry about):whistle:

• Thanks 1

On 7/17/2021 at 9:23 AM, Eldorado said:

A prediction from scientists at Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) in 1972 suggesting that we’ll face “societal collapse” by 2050 seems to be right on track, a new study from KPMG has found.

Gaya Herrington, sustainability and dynamic system analysis lead at KPMG, used a world simulation model that analysed the world’s progression over the past 49 years to prove or disprove MIT’s theory.

So what did Herrington’s research find out?

Full article at MSN: Link

It doesn`t give a breakdown of why they believe a collapse is coming.

If its a shortage of water, then that won`t cause a collapse. It might hit 3rd world countries but outside of them if we needed to we would just produce drinking water from the ocean. In fact, many people already get their water from desalination plants. I myself do, I have one that fills into a sealed reservoir (meaning it takes in no rain or river water).

If its a food crises, then that won`t cause a collapse either. Africa cannot produce enough food already, and its African 3rd world countries that would be hit. The rest of planet has enough food, and most of the planet is not citied or farm landed up. Most of it is wilderness waiting to be utilized. Take Canada and Australia. Both have the land for a billion people and the farms they need. Both have a very low population. Same for Russia. You could get 3 billion people in Russia.

There is no over population crises. Those who buy into that usually live in a high density region of the planet, and think that mirrors the rest of the planet. It doesnt. Most of the planet is pristine wilderness.

The only challenge I can see coming is with fossil fuels. They are running out, synthetic fuels are expensive to produce, and it means we will need to go nuclear only to meet our energy needs. Hopefully, there will be commercially active fusion plants by that stage. Minerals and metals arent really a problem, although with some of them we will need to start going deeper to get them.

And of course technology and science are constantly moving forward so new ways of handling the above problems will come.

3 hours ago, closed for business said:

Hi Helen

I do my bit by giving them something to do(worry about):whistle:

Now you gave me something to worry about. I just mentioned in the exorcism thread that confronting demons is dangerous on do-it-yourself basis, even if they aren't real.   

• Haha 1

On 7/20/2021 at 10:57 AM, Helen of Annoy said:

Sleeping with shotgun under your pillow is not the definition of safety most people would find acceptable. But you're sort of American, so you don't really know what organized, functioning society looks like, since your old country too is in its own post-societal-apocalypse. 

Yeah, I just invented a heap of words. To save on space. 

Don't ever think @aztek represents even a small group of people in the U.S.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Helen of Annoy said:

Now you gave me something to worry about. I just mentioned in the exorcism thread that confronting demons is dangerous on do-it-yourself basis, even if they aren't real.   

Hi Helen

:lol:

Someone has to keep people employed and I do it free of charge.:lol:

16 minutes ago, closed for business said:

Hi Helen

Fine. But I'll kill you if you get yourself murdered or something.  

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Don't ever think @aztek represents even a small group of people in the U.S.

Don't worry, I know what he's doing. That "resident troll" in his signature is an absolutely accurate description. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, closed for business said:

Hi Helen

Well,   free of all but a few charges, huh?   

• Haha 2

Have they looked out the window?

• Thanks 1

Report predicts ‘societal collapse’ from 2040 onwards

It's  already happening, has been for quite a while IMO, with the west leading the way.

We have a financial system that keeps crashing, massive and widening wealth inequality, civil unrest, failed political systems. Not to mention a pandemic. There's a lot of dysfunction.

Throw in effects of climate change that will lead to food shortages and water scarcity for huge numbers of people, increasing aridity in large temperate areas, certain tropical areas likely to become uninhabitable, refugee crises and increased conflicts.

Then also throw in the ecological problems we have which also appears to be heading for collapse. High extinction rates. The pressure resource requirements of feeding and supplying goods to nearly 8 billion people (which is set to increase for sometime yet), especially as many poorer regions modernise..

The prognosis isn't good, it might be in full swing by 2040-50 at the rate we're going.

On 8/25/2021 at 8:00 AM, aztek said:

There's plenty of historical precedent for that type of thing.

https://www.britannica.com/event/French-Revolution

• Like 1