Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Report predicts ‘societal collapse’ from 2040 onwards

Eldorado

A prediction from scientists at Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) in 1972 suggesting that we’ll face “societal collapse” by 2050 seems to be right on track, a new study from KPMG has found.

Gaya Herrington, sustainability and dynamic system analysis lead at KPMG, used a world simulation model that analysed the world’s progression over the past 49 years to prove or disprove MIT’s theory.

So what did Herrington’s research find out?

Full article at MSN: Link

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Make enough predictions and one is likely to come true.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dates_predicted_for_apocalyptic_events

1 hour ago, esoteric_toad said:

Make enough predictions and one is likely to come true.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dates_predicted_for_apocalyptic_events

dude seriously?

you understand that you are mixing scientific studies with mambo jambo dice on a cup predictions?

you could claim that the studie was limited by the capabilities of the time it was made, but you chose to mix it with nonsensical stuff.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Nothing short of total collapse will affect the wealthy...So they don't care. Climate change, economic stagnation, food shortages, etc. will only really ruin the lives of the not-wealthy.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Seti42 said:

Nothing short of total collapse will affect the wealthy...So they don't care. Climate change, economic stagnation, food shortages, etc. will only really ruin the lives of the not-wealthy.

The wealthy will also be affected, as soon as the poor and starving masses go on the move.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

By then the wealthy will be sipping pina coladas and margaritas on Mars, according to plan. 

~

• Haha 5

At the rate the world is going especially given what last year gave us. Can't say I ain't surprised, may as well enjoy these last 20 years as I know it while they're here.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Helen of Annoy said:

The plan that has a tiny fault in form of the fact that self-sustainable Mars colony is not a realistic idea at the current stage of human technology development.

Don't worry, amazon™ will be able to deliver everything except Branson Virgin toilet paper...  :yes: Jeff don't like it, banned... 

~

Edited by third_eye
  • Haha 5

14 hours ago, third_eye said:

By then the wealthy will be sipping pina coladas and margaritas on Mars, according to plan. 

~

According to a very flawed plan. Even an scorched earth wasteland will be more habitable than mars.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

despair eathlings, with each passing day my power grows. soon i will destroy you all 

• Haha 2

Name sounds familiar,,, ? almost like Carrington.

Hard to see page,,:unsure: popup

" Microsoft cares about you bla blah  ""and privacy . .  . further near bottom: 
 . . 
"    We and our partners process data  .... " (no kidding:angry:) and moving on,

Regarding ?MIT  , "end of the
world " report:
Vars/variables 1~10 maybe condensed to content, entropy.

Very nice. Interesting, never mentioned societal or environment entropy.

B)

Thanks for posting that btw.

At the present rate of societal decline I think that the world's governments being around for another 30 years is HIGHLY optimistic.   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, and then said:

At the present rate of societal decline I think that the world's governments being around for another 30 years is HIGHLY optimistic.   

Oh, governments will stay. When they're self-serving mob-like structures they don't mind society collapsing. When they are interested in the control over resources and financial transactions only and don't care for anything except their personal short-term gain, they happily ignore the collapse of both physical and social infrastructure. 

edit: Forgot to say that they always keep the repressive mechanisms (easy, if the only paying job for a common man in the country is in police or army) and they need the state as the cover entity for their personal business (hence the frothing verbal patriotism).  

Edited by Helen of Annoy
  • Like 3

On 7/17/2021 at 11:16 AM, Abramelin said:

The wealthy will also be affected, as soon as the poor and starving masses go on the move.

lol, when that happens, the rich will be on their own islands, of have armed security around their homes,  they will close bridges and roads leading to their homes, they have done it before

Edited by aztek

1 hour ago, aztek said:

lol, when that happens, the rich will be on their own islands, of have armed security around their homes,  they will close bridges and roads leading to their homes, they have done it before

You mean a few can withstand millions that are desparate and have literally nothing to lose?

Have you ever seen South American army ants devour a prey much larger than them?

If the going gets really tough, those few will be overwhelmed, stampeded, crushed. They will be able to withstand the onslaught for a while, but finally their heads will end up on sticks.

Btw., this is a nice script for a movie.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

yes they will be safe, and they will kill anyone approaching their homes uninvited, 

the millions will be fighting each other for any scrap of food. those who steal and rob always looking for an easy victim, of course they  will have something to lose, their lives

it would be a very lame movie

Edited by aztek

1 minute ago, aztek said:

yes they will be safe, and they will kill anyone approaching their homes uninvited, 

the millions will be fighting each other for any scrap of food. those who steal and rob always looking for an easy victim

it would be a very lame movie

My bet is on those millions.

They may be desparate, but therefore not all of them necessarily stupid.

Guns will run out of ammo at some point in time; at another point in time the 'lucky few' will run out of food too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

Guns will run out of ammo at some point in time; at another point in time the 'lucky few' will run out of food too.

lmao, movies are not real.  go read news on what happens in south Africa, rich are safe and sound, yet millions are looking for any food they can find. 

Edited by aztek

10 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

Or have it poisoned :) 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, aztek said:

lmao, movies are not real.  go read news on what happens in south Africa, rich are safe and sound, yet millions are looking for any food they can find. 

Sleeping with shotgun under your pillow is not the definition of safety most people would find acceptable. But you're sort of American, so you don't really know what organized, functioning society looks like, since your old country too is in its own post-societal-apocalypse. 

Yeah, I just invented a heap of words. To save on space. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, aztek said:

That is no comparison to what I had in mind.

If millions of poor South Africans decide an mass to attack the 'lucky few', the 'lucky few' will be toast soon.

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Helen of Annoy said:

It's spelled earthlings. We can only hope your spelling power is growing too. 

Eathlings come from a planet occupied by a species of Celine Dion clones.  It has a complete lack of r's.

• Haha 3

• 1 month later...
On 7/20/2021 at 12:57 PM, Abramelin said:

That is no comparison to what I had in mind.

If millions of poor South Africans decide an mass to attack the 'lucky few', the 'lucky few' will be toast soon.

show me what you mean on a real world example. show me where something like you describe already happened with consequences that you predict.