Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Jeff Bezos is about to blast off into space with Blue Origin. Here's how to watch

Still Waters

Jeff Bezos, the richest person in the world, is set to join the astronaut club Tuesday on the first crewed launch by Blue Origin, another key moment in a big month for the fledgling space tourism industry.

The mission comes days after Virgin Galactic founder Richard Branson crossed the final frontier, narrowly besting the Amazon magnate in their battle of the billionaires.

Blue Origin's sights are, however, set higher: both literally in terms of the altitude to which its reusable New Shepard craft will ascend compared to Virgin's spaceplane, but also in its future ambitions.

Bezos founded Blue Origin back in 2000, with the goal of one day building floating space colonies with artificial gravity where millions of people will work and live.

https://www.sciencealert.com/jeff-bezos-is-about-to-blast-off-into-space-with-blue-origin-here-s-how-to-watch

• Like 3

Well, that it's!  No going back now.  The I25/I10 corridor between Spaceport America and Blue Origin will see exponential growth.  Las Cruces and El Paso will be the center of the universe for some time.

• Like 2

I saw that the Sun article called the location a "secretive place in the desert"   LOL.  Secretive.   

7 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

So bezos took a penis rocket to space?!? I mean, anyone else notice that?

Queen's man doesn't have to worry about that nonsense.

Could you imagine what Bezos, Musk and Bronson could do if they worked together instead of having whose penis is bigger contest?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, glorybebe said:

Could you imagine what Bezos, Musk and Bronson could do if they worked together instead of having whose penis is bigger contest?

Neither one are in Musk's league, at least not yet. On the one hand, you have two billionaires who who took trips to nowhere on their stunt plane and rocket. On the other, you have a man who sends cargo and astronauts to the ISS. Their achievements, as yet, do not compare.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Hammerclaw said:

Neither one are in Musk's league, at least not yet. On the one hand, you have two billionaires who who took trips to nowhere on their stunt plane and rocket. On the other, you have a man who sends cargo and astronauts to the ISS. Their achievements, as yet, do not compare.

But, their money and passion for space exploration could join together and really make great strides in space technology.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, glorybebe said:

But, their money and passion for space exploration could join together and really make great strides in space technology.

Musk doesn't need them. Blue Origin seems to have plateaued and Virgin Galactic is content to sell joyrides to tourists. On paper, yours is a good idea, but in practice in the private sector, competition is king.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Agreed. However, the Bezos deal had the rocket land in a designated place and performed as it should. It landed on the spot to be reused again. Not as impressive as landing a rocket on floating platform on the sea, and Spacex has created workable and practical space capsules that leave actual orbit, and make it to the space station. Spacesuits that work. Musk is miles ahead. But....if I had to put money on who is second for the space tourist industry, I have to go with Bezos. And the new boom to that little speck on the map in northwest Texas. Branson will not fly for another year, and Bezos will go again in months.

• Like 1

In the end, it's planet earth that will lose... 

~

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jeceris said:

Agreed. However, the Bezos deal had the rocket land in a designated place and performed as it should. It landed on the spot to be reused again. Not as impressive as landing a rocket on floating platform on the sea, and Spacex has created workable and practical space capsules that leave actual orbit, and make it to the space station. Spacesuits that work. Musk is miles ahead. But....if I had to put money on who is second for the space tourist industry, I have to go with Bezos. And the new boom to that little speck on the map in northwest Texas. Branson will not fly for another year, and Bezos will go again in months.

Mine is on Boeing, whose fully developed launch system and spacecraft, Starliner, launches for it's second test flight at the end of the month. If all goes well, they'll launch a crewed capsule to the ISS before the end of the year. For some, reaching space is an arbitrary line in the sky. For someone like me, who grew up in the space-age, reaching space is reaching orbit.

12 hours ago, jeceris said:

Northwest Texas?  Which spaceport do you think is in NW Texas?  One is in Southern New Mexico and the other is in SW Texas.

So what?  Alan Shepard did a sub-orbital flight in May of 1961.  Sixty years later "Dr Evil"  and the Virgin Galactic guy, Branson did it for their egos, publicity and the government contracts that will come their way. Bezo's company will use a computer algorithm to fire you if you don't make your delivery quotas on time.  You won't even get a call from a human being.  The computer will generate an email telling you to get lost.   Branson asked for a 300 million dollar bailout from the UK government last year for Virgin Airlines. . Apparently Branson was demanding the government do something lest his reputation be damaged. He still has money for this.  And Virgin is primarily owned by the Chinese government now.  Pure farce.     

On 7/20/2021 at 7:13 PM, XenoFish said:

So bezos took a penis rocket to space?!? I mean, anyone else notice that?

It'd be rather difficult NOT to see the resemblance.  :w00t:  I have to say, though, I can understand why it might be created in that fashion.  He was going for the largest view ports possible and that was probably the simplest design.  Aesthetics be damned ;) 

1 hour ago, and then said:

It'd be rather difficult NOT to see the resemblance.  :w00t:  I have to say, though, I can understand why it might be created in that fashion.  He was going for the largest view ports possible and that was probably the simplest design.  Aesthetics be damned ;) 

I guess it wasn't premature at the height of excitement.

• Haha 1

I see some value in Branson VG, I mean right now its for joyrides training and some cheap low cost experiments. But on the long run i can see VG offering high speed suborbital VIP transport and later it could develop to suborbital passenger liner. Im talking in the long run.

But Bezos, New Glenn, I dont, beside astronaut training, small experiment and a occasional joy ride. I dont see that thing evolving in anything. Maybe its just me.