Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dubai is making its own fake rain to beat 122F heat

Eldorado

The monsoon-like downpour drenches a busy highway, causing tricky driving conditions for the stream of SUVs. Sudden waterfalls appear on the side of the road.

It would be a common sight in parts of Southeast Asia, but this is the United Arab Emirates, in the height of a summer heatwave which has seen temperatures regularly surpass 120F.

And according to the UAE’s National Center of Meteorology, the precipitation was enhanced by cloud seeding operations to increase rainfall in the Gulf country.

Full story and video at MSN

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, closed for business said:

Gee I wonder why they don't use this to fight forest fires in BC

Does BC have the technology set up for cloud seeding.. and the clouds needed for seeding? 

3 minutes ago, rashore said:

Does BC have the technology set up for cloud seeding.. and the clouds needed for seeding? 

Hi Rashor

I don't know but considering the loss of forest and property not to mention lives if a tech is available why not use it? It was just a thought that crossed my mind when I read it.

3 minutes ago, closed for business said:

Hi Rashor

I don't know but considering the loss of forest and property not to mention lives if a tech is available why not use it? It was just a thought that crossed my mind when I read it.

Well, from the sounds of the article, Dubai started the projects a few years ago, and this seems to be the first news story about them using it. So maybe it took a few years to get the technology up and running correctly. Maybe BC wasn't interested in developing the same technology there a few years ago, so they don't have it available right now for the fires. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, rashore said:

Well, from the sounds of the article, Dubai started the projects a few years ago, and this seems to be the first news story about them using it. So maybe it took a few years to get the technology up and running correctly. Maybe BC wasn't interested in developing the same technology there a few years ago, so they don't have it available right now for the fires. 

Hi Rashore 

Yes of course and I was just musing not complaining but now that the tech is developed and available I think places like B.C. and California could take advantage of it. I live next door to BC and the smoke is heavy here and last year when the fires were burning in both BC and here the sun was red looking rather than it's usual yellow. Granted I am only speaking in local terms but forest fires happen all over the globe so to me it would seem like one more tool to use.:D

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, rashore said:

.. and the clouds needed for seeding?

Yes, that's the issue:  you can't create rain clouds.

All cloud-seeding does is increase the amount of precipitation that pre-existing rain clouds produce.  It's already used widely in the US - main for either hail suppression (basically make it rain before the hail can form) or increasing snowfall for winter resorts.

But no rain clouds? Then no technology on Earth will make it rain.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, jethrofloyd said:

Well, the ''fake snow'' machines exists  for a long time. Why not ''fake rain'' as well?

snow-cannon-machine-gun-snowing-260nw-18

Fake snow machines use pumped water to make the snow. Like a big pressurized water mister. Seeding clouds is different technology. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They tried seeding clouds in southwest Colorado back in the early 1970s.  It added about six inches to annual rainfall, but ranchers and farmers downwind complained that they weren't getting their usual amounts of precip.  They shut the program down.

Doug

• Like 2

The Scientific American reports that eight US states are currently using the cloud seeding technology.

In the Colorado River Basin, cloud seeding operations funded to the tune of $1.5 million annually by a combination of state agencies, utility companies and private companies.

States such as Nevada, California, New Mexico and Arizona who also stand to benefit from increased rainfall contribute to the cost.

There is evidence that cloud seeding increase rainfall by 10-15%.

However, there are drawbacks. Shooting silver iodide into clouds can be toxic to marine life.

MSN

• Thanks 1

Great! I’ve been wondering why it’s rained every day all summer here. And here we got China blowing up a dam to try and save people from massive flooding. And yet you wonder why? This technique should be banned world wide if you screw with Mother Nature she will screw you back.