Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scientists warn of “bleak cyborg future” from brain-computer interfaces

Still Waters

Surpassing the biological limitations of the brain and using one’s mind to interact with and control external electronic devices may sound like the distant cyborg future, but it could come sooner than we think.

Researchers from Imperial College London conducted a review of modern commercial brain-computer interface (BCI) devices, and they discuss the primary technological limitations and humanitarian concerns of these devices in APL Bioengineering, from AIP Publishing.

The most promising method to achieve real-world BCI applications is through electroencephalography (EEG), a method of monitoring the brain noninvasively through its electrical activity. EEG-based BCIs, or eBCIs, will require a number of technological advances prior to widespread use, but more importantly, they will raise a variety of social, ethical, and legal concerns.

https://scitechdaily.com/scientists-warn-of-bleak-cyborg-future-from-brain-computer-interfaces/

• Like 3

Eh, scientists are always promising dystopia futures, and they never come to pass. And eventually I'm going to be too old to be the main character who leads the humans in their desperate resistance again thecyborg/AI/alien/etc overlords. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The headline seems a little drastic. But they do raise some good points. We should have some ethics policies talked about entire hand.

We learned with tech that everyone already takes our data. Would be nice to have laws in place beforehand to protects people's Neuro data. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

And eventually I'm going to be too old to be the main character who leads the humans in their desperate resistance again thecyborg/AI/alien/etc overlords. 

That's why we have 'Terminator'! He never grows old. :tu:

Terminator-2-judgement-day.jpg

15 minutes ago, jethrofloyd said:

That's why we have 'Terminator'! He never grows old. :tu:

Terminator-2-judgement-day.jpg

Yeah no. I rather choose the evil AI overlords than that guy. Blergh!

It could be a miracle for quadriplegics.  Controlling devices with the eyes alone.  They could also interface with the controls of a mobility framework to allow them to stand and walk.  I think the greatest risk would be the potential changes it could make to how the brain processes information.  If enough people began to plug in for "recreational"  uses, I wonder if the changes it makes to the brain might lead to those individuals being considered to be more - or less -human and how would people react toward them as a group?  I see new "ists" being created  ;) 

Clearly, it's going to happen. 

And we won't learn from FB. 

It'll happen first, and then we'll be scrambling to fix the fallout after the fact. 

• Like 1

I'm not seeing how it will be "bleak" at all. The medical applications alone for fixing things like missing limbs and paralysis is a very worthy goal.

The only thing better would be regeneration, but that will come from genetic advances which I suppose they also call "bleak".

Tech advances, that's just what it does. Calling the end result "bleak" is silly nonsense.

Edited by moonman

"For example, eBCIs can be used for cognitive enhancement"

Not sure how that would work, the brain is the central processer and its ability would be the link between any extensions. 

Improving intelligence requires teaching and then understanding the material. A completely new brain with higher functionality would have to run alongside the human brain. So the individual may have access to more info but would not necessarily understand it. 

Unless the subject is understood and the right questions asked the tech would be of limited use. 

The tech would have to be autonomous and I cannot see a human, wanting free will, allowing it to run its owner.