Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Pelosi Rejects Republicans from Jan 6 Committee

OverSword

Republican Reps. Jim Jordan (Ohio) and Jim Banks (Ind.) blasted Speaker Nancy Pelosi's (D-Calif.) decision to reject their participation on a panel to investigate the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol, arguing it proved she was involved in a partisan "charade," in the words of Jordan.

"Speaker Pelosi just admitted the obvious, that the January 6th Select Committee is nothing more than a partisan political charade," Jordan, a top ally of former President Trump, said in a statement.

“I’m a sitting member of Congress and served my country in Afghanistan and the Speaker knows how hard I will fight for my country. We said all along that this was a purely partisan exercise by the Democrats and Nancy Pelosi’s rejection of me and Jim Jordan shows once again she is the most partisan figure in America today,” Banks said in a statement.

“The American people deserve the truth. Unfortunately, Speaker Pelosi is afraid of the facts,” Banks added.

Banks and Jordan also took part in a press conference with House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) and the three members Pelosi did not reject from the panel, where they all blasted the move as destructive to the institution of Congress.

Link

And here is Nanci's side of the story

Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) on Wednesday rejected two of the Republican picks — Reps. Jim Jordan (Ohio) and Jim Banks (Ind.) — for the Jan. 6 select committee.

Both GOP lawmakers are staunch allies of former President Trump, and both had voted in January against certifying President Biden's election victory.

In a statement, Pelosi said Democrats in her caucus had raised specific objections to Jordan and Banks "and the impact their appointments may have on the integrity of the investigation."

“With respect for the integrity of the investigation, with an insistence on the truth and with concern about statements made and actions taken by these Members, I must reject the recommendations of Representatives Banks and Jordan to the Select Committee," she said.

She did not specify what statements and actions she was referring to.

Jordan and Banks were part of a group of five GOP lawmakers nominated by House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) to serve on the 13-member select committee. But the language of the resolution gave Pelosi veto power over the Republican selections.

Link

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

As long as she replaces them with republicans there I don't see a problem.  I think she is too old and crusty to be in congress but she is doing her job.  None of them that have been in office more than 4 years are trustworthy, they all have agenda's and owners.

• Like 7

54 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

As long as she replaces them with republicans there I don't see a problem.  I think she is too old and crusty to be in congress but she is doing her job.  None of them that have been in office more than 4 years are trustworthy, they all have agenda's and owners.

Anyone who has been in POWER for as long as Pelosi should not be trusted.  She's a big reason we have no bipartisanship and why California money is determining elections in other states.  Crooked as a crazy straw.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

Having people that are potentially implicated in a crime investigate it usually is a bad idea.  

You'd think, right?

I expect there's pretty decent odds McCarthy will be called to testify under oath, too.

• Like 2

And here is more assininery:

McCarthy yanks all GOP picks from Jan. 6 committee

House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) has decided not to participate in the select committee investigating the Jan. 6 riot on the Capitol, yanking all of his GOP picks in protest of Speaker Nancy Pelosi's (D-Calif.) decision to reject two top Republicans.

"Unless Speaker Pelosi reverses course and seats all five Republican nominees, Republicans will not be party to their sham process and will instead pursue our own investigation of the facts," he said in a statement.

A Pelosi spokesman quickly shot down the possibility that Pelosi might reverse course.

"No, you have our statement," said spokesman Drew Hammill.

McCarthy's remarkable announcement came less than an hour after Pelosi had announced her refusal to seat two of McCarthy's recommended choices for the select committee: Reps. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) and Jim Banks (R-Ind.).

Link

1 hour ago, Gromdor said:

Having people that are potentially implicated in a crime investigate it usually is a bad idea.  

I will agree with that but won't agree that they are implicated in a crime.  I understand they voted not to certify the election but that is their right and they were probably withholding that as an effort to encourage an audit.  Don't get me wrong I've been saying Biden won before he even won.  Like I said earlier, Nanci is a big and possibly the main reason that bipartisanship is dead in our government.

edit:  I'll explain that last bit.  When she said, about the ACA, we have to pass it so we can know what's in it the republicans pretty much decided they would never cooperate with her again, and our government has been a @&%$ show ever since.

Edited by OverSword
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Tiggs said:

You'd think, right?

I expect there's pretty decent odds McCarthy will be called to testify under oath, too.

Why?

3 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Like I said earlier, Nanci is a big and possibly the main reason that bipartisanship is dead in our government.

How long has Mr. Bipartisan Mitch been around?  

1 minute ago, OverSword said:

Why?

McCarthy's phone call to Trump during the event of Jan. 6.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Tatetopa said:

McCarthy's phone call to Trump during the event of Jan. 6.

I know nothing about it.  is there a thread?

14 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Link

What an idiot.

• Like 3

Just now, Desertrat56 said:

What an idiot.

I'm sure that the republicans will do all they can to make sure their base knows this is a partisan committee

Just now, OverSword said:

I'm sure that the republicans will do all they can to make sure their base knows this is a partisan committee

Instead of rising to the occasion and making sure they are involved with the comittee they are going to play partisan crap as well.   We will have to clean house thoroughly before this crap stops.   Get rid of anyone who has been in the same office for over 4 years, maybe 6 if they are under 70.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Desertrat56 said:

Instead of rising to the occasion and making sure they are involved with the comittee they are going to play partisan crap as well.   We will have to clean house thoroughly before this crap stops.   Get rid of anyone who has been in the same office for over 4 years, maybe 6 if they are under 70.

Frankly, as a third party person, this seems pretty partisan to me.  I don't need to know why a bunch of trumpsters rioted after the election.  It's pretty obvious.  This is purely political IMO.  

4 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Frankly, as a third party person, this seems pretty partisan to me.  I don't need to know why a bunch of trumpsters rioted after the election.  It's pretty obvious.  This is purely political IMO.  

Yes, it is.   I am also a third party person and I think the democrat and republican parties have run everything off the rails and created this war over our government which is supposed to be for the people, by the people; not for the money by the corporations.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Yes, it is.   I am also a third party person and I think the democrat and republican parties have run everything off the rails and created this war over our government which is supposed to be for the people, by the people; not for the money by the corporations.

I just talked about this with a coworker (democrat) and he said "Of course they can't be on the committee, they might be complicit"  I asked why and he said "They think Biden is not a legitimate president, they're nuts"  I pointed out that for four years there were multiple democratic senators that said that trump was not legitimate but they still got to participate in impeachment hearings.  He said that's because trump was a Russian agent :lol:  We are well and truly broken.

• Haha 4

Let the baby snakes squirm in hot ashes, until they stop moving their mouths'. Then they can safely be disposed of.

Better yet, intubate them, as a lesson for the living.

2 hours ago, OverSword said:

“With respect for the integrity of the investigation

Whenever that old crone says words like integrity I want to barf and nothing is more vile then her saying something like "We must uphold the Constitution"

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Raptor Witness said:

Let the baby snakes squirm in hot ashes, until they stop moving their mouths'. Then they can safely be disposed of.

Better yet, intubate them, as a lesson for the living.

There is something wrong with you..

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, OverSword said:

I know nothing about it.  is there a thread?

On UM? Don't believe so.

Brief summary from Politifact here: https://www.politifact.com/article/2021/apr/26/what-happened-during-jan-6-call-between-donald-tru/

8 minutes ago, aztek said:

obviously political process will not get it resolved, what else is on the table?

The ongoing Federal investigation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Well that seems like nothing.  

Pin it for later.

I suspect it'll become increasingly important, as the rest of the details emerge.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Tiggs said:

Pin it for later.

I suspect it'll become increasingly important, as the rest of the details emerge.

Maybe.  I'm sure there will never be consensus about how important the whole thing is period. 

3 hours ago, OverSword said:

Link

They had their chance to seat whoever they wanted, and to also have veto authority in the investigation, when they refused to be a part of the bipartisan committee. 

This is nothing more than posturing by the GOP. And their supporters for some reason don't see that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1