Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Aliens may have existed on Earth

Aliens may have existed on Earth.

Here’s why scientists think they left. 

It's one of humanity's most all-consuming questions, fascinating scientists, governments and pop culture alike.

But in 2017 a US space scientist claimed that advanced life forms may be a reality – but that they disappeared long ago.

Professor Jason Wright, an astronomy and astrophysics professor at Pennsylvania State University, published a paper in arXiv entitled 'Prior Indigenous Technological Species'.

In 2017 he claimed that ancient 'technological species' may have lived on Earth billions of years before the human race.

Well, either Earth, or a "pre-greenhouse Venus," or "a wet Mars"... He wasn't 100 per cent sure.

Aliens may have existed on Earth. Here’s why scientists think they left (msn.com)

Edited by Ted E Hughes

Prior Indigenous Technological Species

Jason T. Wright

One of the primary open questions of astrobiology is whether there is extant or extinct life elsewhere the Solar System. Implicit in much of this work is that we are looking for microbial or, at best, unintelligent life, even though technological artifacts might be much easier to find. SETI work on searches for alien artifacts in the Solar System typically presumes that such artifacts would be of extrasolar origin, even though life is known to have existed in the Solar System, on Earth, for eons. But if a prior technological, perhaps spacefaring, species ever arose in the Solar System, it might have produced artifacts or other technosignatures that have survived to present day, meaning Solar System artifact SETI provides a potential path to resolving astrobiology's question. Here, I discuss the origins and possible locations for technosignatures of such a prior indigenous technological species, which might have arisen on ancient Earth or another body, such as a pre-greenhouse Venus or a wet Mars. In the case of Venus, the arrival of its global greenhouse and potential resurfacing might have erased all evidence of its existence on the Venusian surface. In the case of Earth, erosion and, ultimately, plate tectonics may have erased most such evidence if the species lived Gyr ago. Remaining indigenous technosignatures might be expected to be extremely old, limiting the places they might still be found to beneath the surfaces of Mars and the Moon, or in the outer Solar System.

[1704.07263] Prior Indigenous Technological Species (arxiv.org)

Edited by Ted E Hughes
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Ted E Hughes said:

It's one of humanity's most all-consuming questions, fascinating scientists, governments and pop culture alike.

But in 2017 a US space scientist claimed that advanced life forms may be a reality – but that they disappeared long ago.

Professor Jason Wright, an astronomy and astrophysics professor at Pennsylvania State University, published a paper in arXiv entitled 'Prior Indigenous Technological Species'.

In 2017 he claimed that ancient 'technological species' may have lived on Earth billions of years before the human race.

Well, either Earth, or a "pre-greenhouse Venus," or "a wet Mars"... He wasn't 100 per cent sure.

Aliens may have existed on Earth. Here’s why scientists think they left (msn.com)

So I've read the msn article and there is no mention of aliens living on Earth. In fact the scientist admited that an eventual existence of a sentient technological species n the past were most likely earthlings.

11 minutes ago, godnodog said:

So I've read the msn article and there is no mention of aliens living on Earth. In fact the scientist admited that an eventual existence of a sentient technological species n the past were most likely earthlings.

The title is a bit click-baity, isn't it? There is a bit more in the PDF, but the whole article is quite short. I saw 'Cornell University' mentioned in the link and posted the thread before reading it.I may be over keen to find something about ET life, I was very disappointed at the US stuff recently revealed.

The PDF is straight forward to download, here is just the start of the bit about Earth:

3. Terrestrial Origin

Given that it is known to host complex life, the most obvious origin for a prior species of any sort is Earth. Archeology and paleontology, having not found evidence for such a prior species or its technology, put strong constraints on when it might have existed and the longevity of its technosignatures. But how long would such evidence last?

Edited by Ted E Hughes
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ted E Hughes said:

Yeah sure 'may have'... aliens 'may have' populated Titan/ aliens 'may have' populated the moon & naffed off years ago. 

Anyone can say 'may have' about anything. It don't make it any better because a Professor said it IMO

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

IF theses "aliens" ever existed on Earth like they said...wouldn't they no be aliens but....Earthlings?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Nor is it to be thought...that man is either the oldest or the last of earth’s masters, or that the common bulk of life and substances walks alone. The Old Ones were, the Old Ones are, and the Old Ones shall be. Not in the spaces we know, but between them, They walk serene and primal, undimensioned and to us unseen. Yog-Sothoth knows the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the key and guardian of the gate. Past, present, future, all are one in Yog-Sothoth. He knows where the Old Ones broke through of old, and where They shall break through again. He knows where They have trod earth’s fields, and where They still tread them, and why no one can behold Them as They tread. By Their smell can men somtimes know them near, but of Their semblance can no man know, saving only in the features of those They have begotten on mankind; and of those are there many sorts, differing in likeness from man’s truest eidolon to that shape without sight or substance which is Them. They walk unseen and foul in lonely places where the Words have been spoken and the Rites howled through at their Seasons. The wind gibbers with Their voices, and the earth mutters with Their consciousness. They bend the forest and crush the city, yet may not forest or city behold the hand that smites. Kadath in the cold waste hath known Them, and what man knows Kadath? The ice desert of the South and the sunken isles of Ocean hold stones where Their seal is engraven, but who hath seen the deep frozen city or the sealed tower long garlanded with seaweed and barnacles? Great Cthulhu is Their cousin, yet can he spy Them only dimly. Iä! Shub-Niggurath! As a foulness shall ye know Them. Their hand is at your throats, yet ye see Them not; and Their habitation is even one with your guarded threshold. Yog-Sothoth is the key to the gate, whereby the spheres meet. Man rules now where They ruled once; They shall soon rule where man rules now. After summer is winter, and after winter summer. They wait patient and potent, for here shall They reign again. (“The Dunwich Horror”)

• Like 3

Well there are plenty of people that believe humans were uplifted from more primitive primates artificially by aliens.  Who knows?

• Like 1

@Hammerclaw have you ever heard of The Drabblecast?  It's a fiction podcast that often features Lovecraftian stories.  Check it out it's alright.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Well there are plenty of people that believe humans were uplifted from more primitive primates artificially by aliens.  Who knows?

So who uplifted the aliens then? Other aliens? So who uplifted those other aliens then? Nothing about human evolution requires alien intervention. 

As to Earth having prior "technological civilizations"....well it was sure awfully sweet of those technological civilizations to leave all the surface metals and fossil fuels lying around for us... 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Ted E Hughes said:

May have existed and published in a none peer reviewed paper. Uhm, pardon me if I am not too thrilled. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ted E Hughes said:

The title is a bit click-baity, isn't it?

It's why you cannot trust the media.  All Head Lines are 'Click-Baity'...by design.  Look at the Drudge Report for example.  Don't look at it long because it will eat your brain.  But it is nothing but sensationalized BS click-baity headlines written with the sole intent and purpose of getting people to click on links...and every time you click on one...Drudge's bank account goes cha-ching.

Besides fake headlines.  One doesn't even need to be a US Space Scientist (what the hell is that anyway?)  to know that aliens didn't live here billions of years ago.  Science is based in fact not innuendo and not hyperbole.  

• Like 5

Everything we build and develop can and will be broken down in millions of years by nature and  there will be little trace of us left. To be honest I believe our species is one of many that has been here and I doubt the last. We search all over the universe for other signs of life and ET is under our feet.

9 minutes ago, Freez1 said:

Everything we build and develop can and will be broken down in millions of years by nature and  there will be little trace of us left. To be honest I believe our species is one of many that has been here and I doubt the last. We search all over the universe for other signs of life and ET is under our feet.

What's the best example you have that supports such a belief?

What has been located under our feet that gives that impression?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Orphalesion said:

So who uplifted the aliens then? Other aliens? So who uplifted those other aliens then? Nothing about human evolution requires alien intervention. 

As to Earth having prior "technological civilizations"....well it was sure awfully sweet of those technological civilizations to leave all the surface metals and fossil fuels lying around for us... 

Read the Uplift books by David Brin. So good. I don’t think you have to read them in order, pretty sure I read the second one first. Startide Rising. About the first ship mainly crewed and commanded by uplifted dolphins. How could a story of intelligent dolphins in space not be epic?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Freez1 said:

..and ET is under our feet.

You mean the star-nosed mole? Looks pretty alienish! :)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ9MEpz2gzN7mqTsbmxIPv

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Freez1 said:

That’s probably true on the ground, but in orbit?

5 hours ago, joc said:

It's why you cannot trust the media.  All Head Lines are 'Click-Baity'...by design.  Look at the Drudge Report for example.  Don't look at it long because it will eat your brain.  But it is nothing but sensationalized BS click-baity headlines written with the sole intent and purpose of getting people to click on links...and every time you click on one...Drudge's bank account goes cha-ching.

Besides fake headlines.  One doesn't even need to be a US Space Scientist (what the hell is that anyway?)  to know that aliens didn't live here billions of years ago.  Science is based in fact not innuendo and not hyperbole.  

Actually I like the Drudge Report. It is seriously drudging and you can really find some rather hilarious stuff at times 

I’ve always wondered where the safest place a prior race could have left a monument as proof of their existence. We sent records into space.

The safest I could come up with would be heliosyncronus orbit on the other side of Venus. Halfway sort of protection from stray astroids and meteors. 

where would you guys stick a monument of ancient civilization that would have a chance to be preserved millions of years? It’s a tough question IMO.

Edited by Nobu

3 hours ago, Freez1 said:

Ever heard of fossils? 

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Ted E Hughes said:

But how long would such evidence last?

Alloys would still exist in the geological record, as would chemical pollution signatures. They don't. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

9 hours ago, OverSword said:

@Hammerclaw have you ever heard of The Drabblecast?  It's a fiction podcast that often features Lovecraftian stories.  Check it out it's alright.

Lovecraft country is an amazing HBO tv show

• Like 1

I have proof of aliens visiting Earth: during a session with a Ouija board, a spirit appeared who claimed to be a Martian who was killed during a nuclear war on Earth. :mellow:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

I have proof of aliens visiting Earth: during a session with a Ouija board, a spirit appeared who claimed to be a Martian who was killed during a nuclear war on Earth. :mellow:

Earthbounds are liars. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2