Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

‘Peppa Pig’ has U.S. kids adopting British accents

Eldorado

American kids are binge-watching so much of the British cartoon “Peppa Pig’’ that they are developing English accents and even using words like “telly” and “ready, steady, go.”

The so-called Peppa Effect had already led kids in the US to mimic the star swine from UK-produced “Peppa Pig” – and all that extra telly time during COVID-19 restrictions appears to be making the phenomenon more widespread.

Screen time limits were lifted as parents worked from home and extra Peppa binging ensued. Now parents say more kids are opting for “Father Christmas” instead of “Santa Claus” and throwing out expressions like “give it a go.”

Full monty at the NY Post: Link

And at the UK Guardian: Link

• Haha 9

It was Monty Python for my brother and I.  Starting from about '73 it was our favorite.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I remember this story from years ago! :blink:  It's still amusing though.

Have they started saying "half six" for "six thirty"?  :w00t:

Edited by acute
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

American kids are binge-watching so much of the British cartoon “Peppa Pig’’ that they are developing English accents and even using words like “telly” and “ready, steady, go.”

The so-called Peppa Effect had already led kids in the US to mimic the star swine from UK-produced “Peppa Pig” – and all that extra telly time during COVID-19 restrictions appears to be making the phenomenon more widespread.

Screen time limits were lifted as parents worked from home and extra Peppa binging ensued. Now parents say more kids are opting for “Father Christmas” instead of “Santa Claus” and throwing out expressions like “give it a go.”

Full monty at the NY Post: Link

And at the UK Guardian: Link

It is a phenomenon that has been happening for years.   In the 70's you could tell what part of the U.S. someone was from by their accent/intonation.  My sister-in-law from Virginia even told me once, "Your daughter talks like those people on TV just like you do."   And when I was in the army I could hardly understand people from Boston and Rhode Island, and they couldn't understand me.   People thought I was hispanic because I had the Albuquerque accent.   Recently I was at my daughter's apartment while she had to have a video conference with her co-workers in Boston.  When it was over I asked her where they were all from and she said Boston.  No more thick Boston twang, they sound like everyone else. in the U.S.   

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

"Your daughter talks like those people on TV just like you do."

It's nice that you Yanks are finally learning to talk proppa. :tu:

• Haha 7

I actually have Siri set to speak with an English accent. 

• Haha 4

19 minutes ago, acute said:

I remember this story from years ago! :blink:  It's still amusing though.

Have they started saying "half six" for "six thirty"?  :w00t:

Yea, it was a bit of a trend for a while and you still find many Americans, including yours truly, adopting what would be UK euphemisms 

But yes, I've known a couple odd balls who did affect a British accent, or who would proudly display British pride...despite not being British

By no means do I feel this is any true trend, however

Edited by HandsomeGorilla
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, OverSword said:

That's just perving. :yes:

• Haha 5

Just now, acute said:

That's just perving. :yes:

Oh Siri, send text to Mum.  Oh yeah, that's it baby :wub:

• Haha 4

20 minutes ago, OverSword said:

I really enjoy the british mystery shows but I won't be talking with a british accent, I already notice my accent is closer to Texan than New Mexico except when I am stressed.

• Like 2

@OverSword

"Siri, don't stop. Read the whole thing!"

"Starting again.

In the beginning God created the Heaven and the Earth......"

Edited by acute
  • Haha 3

When I worked as trainer/instructor for a software company in the run-up to Y2K, I was primarily teaching in  hospitals with100 beds or fewer and they tended to be in the midwest.  Occasionally, I'd have one of the nurses or other staff members ask me where I was from.  The rest of our crew tended to be from the Mobile, AL, area and they sounded like it ;) 

I'd tell them, Mobile,  and they'd say "you don't sound like you're from Alabama!"  To which I replied- what does it sound like to be from Alabama? :w00t:

Then I told them that some of the more lucky folks from Bama actually had TV, running water, shoes, the whole SMASH :w00t:

Seriously though, television did a LOT to homogenize geographic accents.  

• Like 2

How Long before Bluey has them talking like Psyche and Sir Wearer Of Hats?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, acute said:

Once you have heard this you can't unhear it (when watching TV dramas): where Brits tell someone 'you need to go to a hospital', or just 'you need hospital' Americans always say the hospital, doesn't matter if they are are in a city with several or a place where there are none. As if they have somewhere specific in mind.

Apparently the sane is happening with the Aussie Accent via Bluey.

On 7/23/2021 at 12:39 AM, acute said: