Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Praying to Other beings Besides God

Raven667

Some people say you shouldn't pray to anyone but God or Jesus but I find it not to be true their are people who pray to Angels Saints And even the Virgin Mary and the Buddha here's the definition of prayer a solemn request for help or expression of thanks addressed to God or an object of worship. I know praying to angels works because I prayed to the Angel Gabriel it was an family emergency and he answered their is power in prayer anyway some people say you can pray to your dead Mother and that be fine anyway what do you guys think I think there is nothing wrong with praying to angels and please keep the comments clean and be nice

• Thanks 1

Pray to whatever real or imaginary thing you want to.

You say it works. I disagree.

But there is nothing stopping anyone from praying to or for anything.

If it makes you feel better, good on you.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

A lot of people pray to other entities than God or Jesus. Sometimes people that pray to God or Jesus also pray to other entities of the Christian pantheon. Some Christians don't pray to any of the entities in the Christian pantheon. It's normal. 

A lot of people pray to a whole lot of entities and things outside the Christian pantheon, that's normal too. Sometimes people pray to God, Jesus, or any other entity they can think of even if they aren't of that religion or faith, and just need to get their prayer on. 

Sometimes, people even pray to themselves and call it meditation or enlightenment. That's normal too. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Raven667 said:

Some people say you shouldn't pray to anyone but God or Jesus but I find it not to be true their are people who pray to Angels Saints And even the Virgin Mary and the Buddha here's the definition of prayer a solemn request for help or expression of thanks addressed to God or an object of worship. I know praying to angels works because I prayed to the Angel Gabriel it was an family emergency and he answered their is power in prayer anyway some people say you can pray to your dead Mother and that be fine anyway what do you guys think I think there is nothing wrong with praying to angels and please keep the comments clean and be nice

This reminds me of something my brother said.  He declares "There is only One God!"  Then later when I tell him we are meeting to pray for peace for the planet he says "Make sure you are praying to the Right God."   :lol:   

Everyone has their beliefs and clings to them whether they are rational or not.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, rashore said:

A lot of people pray to other entities than God or Jesus. Sometimes people that pray to God or Jesus also pray to other entities of the Christian pantheon. Some Christians don't pray to any of the entities in the Christian pantheon. It's normal. 

A lot of people pray to a whole lot of entities and things outside the Christian pantheon, that's normal too. Sometimes people pray to God, Jesus, or any other entity they can think of even if they aren't of that religion or faith, and just need to get their prayer on. 

Sometimes, people even pray to themselves and call it meditation or enlightenment. That's normal too. 

And sometimes atheists pray too. Go figure LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Raven667 said:

It does break the first commandment.  I'm an atheist anyway.

2 hours ago, Raven667 said:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Will Due said:

And sometimes atheists pray too. Go figure LOL

Ever try praying to everything at once (except God, as he is a roadblock to such things)?

1 hour ago, Rlyeh said:

Is it any more wrong than pretending to eat your saviour?

Zombie Jesus Saves.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, GoldenWolf said:

Ever try praying to everything at once (except God, as he is a roadblock to such things)?

Come on man!

It's not who you're praying to that matters.

It's what you're praying about that does. :tu:

Prayer is just a form of communication.

Be careful who you pray to, and be careful what you ask for.

No; I am not saying one should only pray directly to one specific god.   I am saying that prayers are often answered,  no matter who you are speaking to/with, and that they are powerful, so just be careful. 

Of course if you don't believe prayers are answered them you  don't need to worry at all. 

Edited by Mr Walker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Raven667 said:

I personally think it is fine to pray to anything that brings you comfort. Your choice is the only choice that matters when it comes to any form of Spirituality. So, I am sorry but apparently you have not learned this yet or you would not have started this thread to ask this question. Never forget, you are the source of all that occurs during life both good and bad.

While you may not be able to change bad things that happen, how you handle those situations will directly effect your out come good or bad. For every situation ( Cause ) there will be and outcome ( Effect ) and you and only you can control the effect of any situation that occurs. 

The moral here is simple, pray if it gives you comfort, but you shoulder the responsibility for the outcome of any situation that involves you!

Peace my friend!:tu:

• Like 4

14 hours ago, onlookerofmayhem said:

Pray to whatever real or imaginary thing you want to.

You say it works. I disagree.

But there is nothing stopping anyone from praying to or for anything.

If it makes you feel better, good on you.:tsu:

You hit the nail with a pile driver!

Great post my friend!:tu:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 7/23/2021 at 3:23 PM, Raven667 said:

Christians tell me that there is only one god.  In that case, it doesn't matter which god you pray to, as all are the same.

If there's only one god, why do Christians bother with the Trinity?

Doug

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

Prayer is just a form of communication.

Be careful who you pray to, and be careful what you ask for.

No; I am not saying one should only pray directly to one specific god.   I am saying that prayers are often answered,  no matter who you are speaking to/with, and that they are powerful, so just be careful. 

Of course if you don't believe prayers are answered them you  don't need to worry at all. 

Well said

• Haha 2

On 7/25/2021 at 9:17 AM, Doug1066 said:

Christians tell me that there is only one god.  In that case, it doesn't matter which god you pray to, as all are the same.

If there's only one god, why do Christians bother with the Trinity?

Doug

It is possible there is only one god but it is perceived and worshiped via many minds in many different forms.

The Trinity is simple. One god, in 3 forms.

Just like a human being, it consists of  mind,  (father) body, (son)  and spirit, (holy ghost) 

(That is my understanding and experience, anyway) 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

The Trinity is simple. One god, in 3 forms.

Just like a human being, it consists of  mind,  (father) body, (son)  and spirit, (holy ghost) 

I think it's more complicated for some denominations, your above mixes 'is' with 'consists of'.  The Holy Spirit is God (but is not the Father or the Son, which are also God but not equal to each other) according to my 'understanding', but I don't think we'd likewise say that the body 'is' the human being.  We are composed of a mind, body, and spirit according to Christianity, but God is not composed of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost I don't think, God 'is' each of these three.  (I think the trinity is a 'mystery of faith' maybe and is accepted by some as not being logical/accessible to reason)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

12 hours ago, Liquid Gardens said:

I think it's more complicated for some denominations, your above mixes 'is' with 'consists of'.  The Holy Spirit is God (but is not the Father or the Son, which are also God but not equal to each other) according to my 'understanding', but I don't think we'd likewise say that the body 'is' the human being.  We are composed of a mind, body, and spirit according to Christianity, but God is not composed of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost I don't think, God 'is' each of these three.  (I think the trinity is a 'mystery of faith' maybe and is accepted by some as not being logical/accessible to reason)

Fair enough.

I explained my understanding, gleaned from  study across multiple christian denominations, and my own experience 

"GOD" is like "MAN"  in that we both consist of; body, mind and spirit   

Each is an essential and integral part of what we are. WE are not mind ,not body, not spirit We are the combination of all those things. Sometimes one element is more important /critical. At other times another is.   

I know that many  others think as you do, while many struggle to understand it  a t all. That doesn't matter for a non believer, but is critical for a believer's understanding of the nature of their god 

Equal? which part of  a human is less important than the other parts.   All parts are equal and essential in making us who we are.

IMO, god is no different.

The only difference with god is that it can physically separate  parts of itself at will, or combine them.

It also has  other abilities which humans do not (as yet ) possess eg it's mind can be everywhere,(  including in your own mind) :)  and it can physically manifest it's body in multiple places at the same time. it can "be" with a human, here on the fringe of the galaxy, and with a sentient being in the galactic core at the same time 

We are (most likely)   a century, or so, away from  that capability      

8 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

The only difference with god is that it can physically separate  parts of itself at will, or combine them.

I think it's a fiction anyway so we're free to make up what we want to of course.  Wiki discusses the issue and differs with your view, ""The Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit" are not names for different parts of God, but one name for God because three persons exist in God as one entity.  They cannot be separate from one another. Each person is understood as having the identical essence or nature, not merely similar natures."  There are other quotes concerning 'One God in 3 Persons' there also but they all are about as vague and suspiciously gobbledygooky sounding as the above.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 7/24/2021 at 6:23 AM, Raven667 said:

Have you ever considered the efficacy of prayer?

That might give you a heads up.

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 3

On 7/24/2021 at 9:06 AM, Will Due said:

Come on man!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQaFSBsREEpT6L9Llb2g24

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Liquid Gardens said:

I think it's a fiction anyway so we're free to make up what we want to of course.  Wiki discusses the issue and differs with your view, ""The Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit" are not names for different parts of God, but one name for God because three persons exist in God as one entity.  They cannot be separate from one another. Each person is understood as having the identical essence or nature, not merely similar natures."  There are other quotes concerning 'One God in 3 Persons' there also but they all are about as vague and suspiciously gobbledygooky sounding as the above.

Yes it was a comment on the nature of a hypothetical god like the christian one. However it is also my expernce with "god" aka "the cosmic consciousness" 

That definition of wikis is not deferent to mine. It is saying exactly what i was trying to say, albeit  perhaps   poorly 

So when you speak to someone on your phone they hear your voice many miles away.  On tv people appear many miles away 

In a sense god is like this, but physically  

Biblically the y certainly can exist in separate  places Eg Christ's baptism by john.  Jesus (the son) was on earth.  god (the father)was in heaven and the spirit communicated between them both and was thus in both places at the same time

Basic Christian doctrine is that the sprit of god  (the holy spirit) can enter into people and transform them, so clearly it s not confined to god (unless you accept that, where the spirit is, all of god also is, and that thus, god dwells within you when his spirit does 

Some dont see jesus as god but basically, in christian theology, he was. 

Christ existed as the word (the creative power of god)  in Genesis and appears as a physical being(angel) in Revelations.

For a short time he became a human being .

However I am not dogmatic on this 

Even the bible writers were not clear, or in agreement, on it  Historically there have been many views.

My opinion just makes sense to me, and fits what i know of "god" 

God is the overall name for all 3 aspects of "god" just as "human"  is the name for us, with our 3 elements  Take away any one of the 3 and a person is not  a human, and  god is not  god  It is in that sense, not the physical one, that one part cant be separated from  the other parts.

(In Christian belief) Jesus certainly was separate, physically, from  god the father while he lived on earth, but was connected to  his "father"  by the spirit

( Imagine you being telepathically linked with another being, and having access to its skills, abilities, and power, which once were also  your own )   

Most Christian variants teach something similar to this 

Let's break it down into six smaller statements about the trinity that's easier to understand:

One God and One Only 

Exists in three Persons 

Equal and Eternal 

Worthy of equal praise and worship 

Distinct yet acting in unity 

Constituting the one true God of the Bible 

https://www.christianity.com/god/trinity/god-in-three-persons-a-doctrine-we-barely-understand-11634405.html 

The only word  I'd change is persons.

I'd change it to entities, because, imo, the spirit at least is not a person as we think of people, and i doubt that god the father actually is, either.   A force, a power, an entity, yes, but I am not sure about "a person"

Edited by Mr Walker

16 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

On tv people appear many miles away 

In a sense god is like this, but physically  

https://www.god.tv/

There is a god tv but as of yet he has not made a personal appearance so that is kind of a mute point

• Like 3

On 7/23/2021 at 4:06 PM, Will Due said:

Come on man!

Praying to the world for things like peace, prosperity and love.  Or you can take the typical religious, self-centered approach of praying to "God" for personal peace, prosperity and love while taking a f.t.w. to everything else.

• The topic was locked