Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UK government orders councils to display EU flag

Silver

UK government orders councils to display EU flag as condition of receiving Covid high street cash

Government accused of ‘absurd hypocrisy’ for taking Brussels cash with strings

The UK government is telling councils to display EU flags across towns and cities in England as a condition for receiving high street Covid recovery cash.

Guidance issued to local authorities by the communities ministry this summer says the blue and yellow symbol of European unity is "required" to be displayed around "every piece of signage, pavement sticker, or temporary public realm adaption" funded under the scheme.

The requirement, which will see thousands of new EU flags posted on official buildings and in public places across the country, exists because the European Regional Development Fund has given money to the UK to help with the Covid-19 reopening.

UK government orders councils to display EU flag as condition of receiving Covid high street cash | The Independent

Edited by Ted E Hughes
  • Haha 3

I dunno . . . . . seems fair enough if it's on something EU money paid for. Maybe. :unsure2: It's just nice to be getting some money from them/it for a change.

36 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

I dunno . . . . . seems fair enough if it's on something EU money paid for. Maybe. :unsure2: It's just nice to be getting some money from them/it for a change.

That doesn't make sense. Deprived areas of the UK received grants from the EU every year, so the change will come when they stop receiving it- Cornwall has been complaining for the last year that they will receive less than £2 million to replace the £700 million they were expecting from the EU: Boris accused of breaking Brexit promise to Cornish people to replace EU funding - Cornwall Live

Same with Wales- they will be getting a fraction of what they used to receive.

There is a nice irony in it though, isn't there, the fact they have to display the flag to receive their last payment! Lol!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Yknow it's not too late for you guys to admit the whole thing was a terrible idea, I'm sure the EU will let you back in with open arms when you're ready to admit you where better off with them. 

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Autochthon1990 said:

Yknow it's not too late for you guys to admit the whole thing was a terrible idea, I'm sure the EU will let you back in with open arms when you're ready to admit you where better off with them. 

Ye it is too late, we have an imcompetent government who has ruined the relationship with the EU and alot of people in the uk are too "proud" and nationalistic of the UK to admit its a ****ing joke. There are still some people who say immigrants are taking the jobs.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Autochthon1990 said:

Who doesn't love the British? All the same, I think they may take some persuading.

4 hours ago, Ted E Hughes said:

Who doesn't love the British? All the same, I think they may take some persuading.

The Irish. 
The Welsh. 
The Colonial Americans. 
The Chinese who they got addicted to Opium in order to get tea. 
The Scottish. 
The French.
The First Peoples of America, Australia, New Zealand.....

• Haha 2

The anti-English sentiment here grows lol.

A new form of inverted racism is arising, drag down the English at any cost, stop them having a country at any cost, lol.

I wonder if `being altogether in the EU` is actually supported by them to control the UK, and keep it down trodden because of the empire? I can smell the fear from here.

Edited by Cookie Monster
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

A new form of inverted racism is arising, drag down the English at any cost, stop them having a country at any cost, lol.

I wonder if `being altogether in the EU` is actually supported by them to control the UK, and keep it down trodden because of the empire? I can smell the fear from here.

Sorry dude, that’s not fear that was my baked beans breakfast. 

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

Don't worry Cookie! Lord Frost wears Union Jack socks, he strikes fear into the hearts of all  foreigners with them.

We'll soon have the Aussies kicked into line!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

Its more like seeing an elderly relative giving all his money to a Nigerian prince because the Nigerian prince took out a bus ad. And despite all evidence being it was a really REALLY bad idea and he should clearly cut his losses to keep what he has, he just keeps insisting that any day Boriska the prince will send him his millions even though his house is starting to look raggedy from lack of funding to care for it and he's been having a hard time making ends meet.

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

The Irish. 
The Welsh. 
The Colonial Americans. 
The Scottish. 
The French.

Can't believe you missed the Spanish.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Setton said:

Can't believe you missed the Spanish.

Or the fact that The Irish, The Welsh, The Scottish, are all British.

18 minutes ago, Still Waters said:

The Irish are not British.

The Oxford English Dictionary (OED) defines the adjective 'British' in three ways, as follows:

(1) linguistically as 'of or relating to the Brittonic-speaking peoples originally inhabiting all of Britain south of the Firth of Forth before and during the Roman occupation';

(2) geographically as 'of or relating to Britain, or to its people or language;

(3) politically as 'of or relating to the British Empire (now historical) or the British Commonwealth.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

The Irish. 
The Welsh. 
The Colonial Americans. 
The Scottish. 
The French.

Why did you leave Argentina off the list? You got a problem with Buenos Aries? 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Still Waters said:

No,they’re members (some unwillingly) of the United Kingdom.  The British, or Britons, are a cultural group within that Union. While “British” is a collective term that has been applied to all members of that Union in the past, so has “English”. Both are less than correct, there isn’t really a collective noun that encompasses all members of the UK, and while British does come close... it doesn’t come close enough.