Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Drinking 6 cups of coffee a day? Your brain may pay for it later, says a large study

Still Waters

Many of us enjoy a cup of coffee or two throughout the day, but a new study suggests that too much of the stuff could shrink brain volume and increase the risk of dementia over the long term.

This was a large study as well, involving 17,702 participants aged from 37 to 73, taken from the UK Biobank project. The long-running project collects information on a host of different health and lifestyle metrics, including coffee consumption, brain volume, and disease – as well as additional data like socioeconomic status that scientists can factor in.

The excess coffee risks can jump quite sharply, though you do need to be drinking a lot of the beverage: The study found that people drinking six or more cups a day had a 53 percent higher chance of getting dementia than those who drank one or two cups or less.

"Coffee is among the most popular drinks in the world," says epidemiologist Kitty Pham from the University of South Australia. "Yet with global consumption being more than nine billion kilograms a year, it's critical that we understand any potential health implications."

https://www.sciencealert.com/largest-study-of-its-kind-says-too-much-coffee-could-harm-your-brain-in-the-long-run

Research Article

High coffee consumption, brain volume and risk of dementia and stroke

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/1028415X.2021.1945858

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

But beer, beer is good... In fact drink more beer... And Coca Cola, Pepsi... And all that sugary water goodness... 

~

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Coffee is like eggs it seems. 

This month it's good for you, next month, it's bad. 

First thing to do with any study is turn to the back and see who funded it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

58 minutes ago, quiXilver said:

Eggs 8 ) ,, indeed. Excellent "Turn to the back .. who funded it."

Like vitamin D ,, studies seemed to reveal nothing solid.

Well except people in northern latitudes could benefit. 

Well not like, but I was just reading up on it regarding variant viruses which were almost the same as origin,,, oh mmm ?funding bit,, various.

. .   .https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/can-vitamin-d-help-protect-against-covid/ 

Edited by Nosy.Matters
typo + eggs

Interesting anecdote. My 90 year old grandmother who drinks coffee all the time has a fairly healthy body but her mind is leaving here.

While my other 90 year old grandmother who dosen't drink coffee has a very sharp mind but her body is falling apart.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, quiXilver said:

Coffee is like eggs it seems. 

This month it's good for you, next month, it's bad. 

I've been told - with greatest solemnity- since the 80's that the stuff will kill ya.  Today I'm old enough to know there are few things that WON'T... ;) 

6 hours ago, Still Waters said:

The excess coffee risks can jump quite sharply, though you do need to be drinking a lot of the beverage: The study found that people drinking six or more cups a day had a 53 percent higher chance of getting dementia than those who drank one or two cups or less.

48328c3887195e05b7a2caced03806d7--cup-of

• Haha 2

Caffeine is an amazing nootropic but it's probably the most abused drug in the world 

What do people do with all that energy? Most of the worst coffee drinkers I know don't do **** all day but browse social media and worry about what other people are doing 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

More than 6 cups a day? Uh-oh :unsure2:

In my early twenties I drank at least a POT of it before work each day.  That was just the morning dose ;)  I stopped drinking even a cup a day consistently, a few years back.  Kind of lost my taste for it except on special occasions or REALLY cold weather when I had to be outdoors.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HandsomeGorilla said:

Caffeine is an amazing nootropic but it's probably the most abused drug in the world 

No "probably" to it.  Any regular coffee or soft drink consumer who doubts its status as a drug would only have to stop suddenly and completely and see how they feel before the day is over :tu:

4 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

Interesting anecdote. My 90 year old grandmother who drinks coffee all the time has a fairly healthy body but her mind is leaving here.

While my other 90 year old grandmother who dosen't drink coffee has a very sharp mind but her body is falling apart.

You have TWO grandmothers who have reached the age of 90?  Man, you should really plan for retirement. ;)   That money is going to have to last a long, LONG, time :w00t:

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, and then said:

You have TWO grandmothers who have reached the age of 90?  Man, you should really plan for retirement. ;)   That money is going to have to last a long, LONG, time :w00t:

We got good genes. Except for vision :geek:. If it wasn't for glasses and contacts we would all be blind as bats. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

We got good genes. Except for vision :geek:. If it wasn't for glasses and contacts we would all be blind as bats. 

Sounds like you hit the genetic lotto ;)   My dad passed at 67, mom at 65.  She was a lifelong smoker and he had a congenital heart issue.  I don't have either of those but at 60, I'm beginning to watch the clock some and take time to enjoy every day :tu:  

• Like 1