Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Trio of Senate Republicans urges Supreme Court to overrule Roe v. Wade

OverSword

Really???  

Three conservative Senate Republicans on Monday filed an amicus brief urging the Supreme Court to overturn its landmark precedents that protect the constitutional right to abortion.

In a 33-page brief, Sens. Josh Hawley (R-Mo.), Mike Lee (R-Utah) and Ted Cruz (R-Texas) asked the court to use a Mississippi case to be reviewed next term as a vehicle to overturn Roe v. Wade and related rulings. Calling the status quo “untenable,” the senators said the legal doctrine on abortion that emerged over roughly the past five decades since Roe was decided in 1973 has given judges excessive discretion and proven unworkable. 

“Roe and Casey should be overruled, and the question of abortion legislation should be returned to the states,” they wrote, referring also to the court’s 1992 decision in Planned Parenthood v. Casey. 

“Where a legal doctrine has repeatedly failed to offer clarity — where it has proved unworkable in the past and will likely engender unpredictable consequences in the future — its existence constitutes an open invitation to judges to interpret it according to their own policy preferences, usurping the constitutional prerogatives of the legislature,” the senators wrote. 

The filing comes after Mississippi’s attorney general urged the justices last week in a brief to overrule Roe when the justices review Mississippi’s ban on virtually all abortions after 15 weeks of pregnancy.

Link

And Cruz thinks he's going to be the nominee next time around?  No way.  Notably they didn't get a female senator to team up with them.

• Like 1

Yeah dumb move politically. I wish we lived in a world where such things would just be considered barbaric and unacceptable. Especially in the days of advanced medical birth control. Maybe one day we will evolve enough where the slaughter of innocents isn’t celebrated. Or necessary. Just the thought of abortion makes me ill. 

• Like 1

FIgures Cruz would be part of it.  @preacherman76 in what way is abortion "celebrated"????   It is no easy thing for a woman to decide, and men are less than helpful in the situation, some men insisting on abortion and others insisting against it with no understanding of circumstances, emotion or care for the women.  It is a right that should be upheld.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

America, you keep going backwards.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

As I see it, fundamentally the issue has three sides. 

1.  Whether a fetus is part of the mother's body, or, a whole separate individual with it's own rights.  

2. A multi-billion dollar industry that exists for no other reason than the termination of pregnancies prematurely. 

3. Who is the intermediary and gets to decide...the Federal Government...or the State Government. 

• Like 1

What I don't understand, is where is the Republican outcry for protection of the unborn by way of vaccinations?  Vaccines help protect the mother and the unborn.  The Republicans haven't a moral leg to stand on anymore. They've lost it, forever, it's now gone with the wind. Life isn't precious to them, it was all just a clever lie.

Edited by Raptor Witness
  • Like 1

Overthrowing Roe vs Wade will never happen.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

FIgures Cruz would be part of it.  @preacherman76 in what way is abortion "celebrated"????   It is no easy thing for a woman to decide, and men are less than helpful in the situation, some men insisting on abortion and others insisting against it with no understanding of circumstances, emotion or care for the women.  It is a right that should be upheld.  

Individually it isn’t celebrated. Individually it’s often a nightmare that takes years to recover from, if ever. For some anyway. Collectively it very much is celebrated though. 

What it really is is a sign of how morally depraved our society has become. It’s kids being born in situations where death is a better alternative to life. Often completely unnecessary. Birth control is usually free for those who can’t afford it. 

My wife and I never wanted a second child. She was crying when she called to tell me the news. Neither one of us, in our 30’s wanted to raise another baby. Now neither of us could picture our lives without him. I’m so glad he was never a choice for either one of us. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

Birth control is usually free for those who can’t afford it. 

And none of it is 100% effective.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, susieice said:

That was my exact thought too. It looks like a few Republicans are looking to advance their political careers with this action.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

Individually it isn’t celebrated. Individually it’s often a nightmare that takes years to recover from, if ever. For some anyway. Collectively it very much is celebrated though. 

What it really is is a sign of how morally depraved our society has become. It’s kids being born in situations where death is a better alternative to life. Often completely unnecessary. Birth control is usually free for those who can’t afford it. 

My wife and I never wanted a second child. She was crying when she called to tell me the news. Neither one of us, in our 30’s wanted to raise another baby. Now neither of us could picture our lives without him. I’m so glad he was never a choice for either one of us. 

Abortion is NOT celebrated, what is celebrated is that women have been given a CHOICE that they never had legally before.  A small acknowledgment that women are as human as men.  You are a man so you wouldn't understand.  Ask your wife what the difference is.  Instead of fixating on the abortion, fixate on the fact how hard women have to fight to have the right to choose anything about their lives.  In most U.S. states women weren't even allowed to have their own bank account unless some male relative was a cosigner on that account UNTIL the mid 70's!!!!    Get a grip and focus on the actual issue that allowing abortions to be legal represents.   Children could have their own savings account in the 60's but my mother had to have my dad's name on her personal bank account, and it was worse in the south.    In the 80's I worked for H&R block in Virginia and a woman came in to do her taxes and told me that when her husband died she had no bank account of her own, so while she waited for probate to be done (in that state a required 6 months) she was pennyless, had no money for food, or to pay the utilities.  Luckily the house was paid for so she did have a place to live, but imagine if they had been in an apartment or a rent house or had a mortgage.  That woman would be on the street because they had no children.   If it weren't for her housekeeper (yes, her husband did well financially) she would have starve or been on the street begging for food.   That would have never happened to a man when his wife died, even if she had been the one who earned the money in the family.

Good for you that you rose to the occasion and raised your child.  Your issue of not wanting another child is very different than the issues that women who do choose abortion (and they never choose it lightly).    So get off your high horse and look at the actual disease in our society instead of fixating on a symptom.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, susieice said:

trump was never supposed to win either,   it will happen one day, no doubts, we already have officially racist policies, we thought it could have never happen either

Edited by aztek

15 hours ago, jeceris said:

America, you keep going backwards.

and where does Canada go? anywhere the wind blows, lol

Edited by aztek
  • Haha 1

You've heard of divorce parties, right? The idea is you deal with a difficult time in your life, by throwing a party. Maybe I've been living on Mars, but I've never heard of abortion parties--until now. One woman describes her friend's A-party--complete with dancing and booze...

https://www.glamour.com/story/health-controversy-women-who-t

Abortion Party Ideas for a party when your "basic b****" still wants to have a life! It's like a REAL baby shower!

https://www.pinterest.com/amycheps/abortion-party/

Another day, another abortion party

https://www.salon.com/2009/07/09/abortion_party/

ShoutYourAbortion

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ShoutYourAbortion

In “Shout Your Abortion,” a Celebration of Life

https://www.yesmagazine.org/social-justice/2019/01/22/in-shout-your-abortion-a-celebration-of-life

"Abortion is normal," proclaims a new art exhibit in New York City. The artists and curators hope you agree.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/what-is-normal

Last year, when New York legalized late-term abortions, Democratic Gov. Andrew Cuomo had the spire at One World Trade Center lit in pink. 

At the Golden Globes this year, actress Michelle Williams gushed that she would never have been able to win that little golden trophy “without employing a woman’s right to choose.”

Actress Lena Dunham has abortion fomo (fear of missing out). A few years ago, Dunham said that she wished she had had an abortion since that would strengthen her commitment to the pro-abortion cause. 

Miley Cyrus announced a collaboration with Planned Parenthood by posting a picture of her licking a cake that reads, “ABORTION IS HEALTHCARE.”

Comedian Michelle Wolf joked that her abortion made her feel like God.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/yes-democrats-celebrate-abortion

Can We Celebrate Abortion?

We've been conditioned to see it as little more than a terrible choice.

https://medium.com/honestly-yours/can-we-celebrate-abortion-c4537c9cdd78

'I Had an Abortion 15 Years Ago Today—It's Still the Best Decision I Ever Made'

https://www.newsweek.com/abortion-15-years-ago-today-best-decision-made-1522441

Edited by el midgetron

14 hours ago, Raptor Witness said:

What I don't understand, is where is the Republican outcry for protection of the unborn by way of vaccinations?  Vaccines help protect the mother and the unborn.  The Republicans haven't a moral leg to stand on anymore. They've lost it, forever, it's now gone with the wind. Life isn't precious to them, it was all just a clever lie.

The moral thing to do is let each person decide if they want to be vaccinated.  The smart thing to do is let women get abortions if they wish.  Personally I'm against abortion because I'm big on being responsible for my actions and taking the consequences but I'm not one to enforce my lifestyle on others.  If someone else wants to kill their unborn child that's on them.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 2

i'm all for abortions,  if someone want to abort a kid, let them, they would not be able to raise the kid right anyway,  we already have plenty of kids who were not raised right, joining gangs, and living criminal lifestyle we do not need anymore.   there is no such right in usa to give birth, it should be licensed and regulated.

1 hour ago, Desertrat56 said:

Abortion is NOT celebrated

screen-shot-2020-02-11-at-12.57.27%20PM.

Many, many more where that came from

• Like 2

1 minute ago, OverSword said:

screen-shot-2020-02-11-at-12.57.27%20PM.

Many, many more where that came from

What is the context of that photo.  Where is it, when and who are involved.  What kind of group is "The Breaks"?  

Edited by Desertrat56

2 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

What is the context of that photo.  Where is it, when and who are involved.    

Why deny it?  In the USA feminists celebrate abortion and even brag about them

sub-buzz-27448-1558366874-1.jpg?resize=9

Abortion is NOT celebrated, what is celebrated is that women have been given a CHOICE that they never had legally before.  A small acknowledgment that women are as human as men.  You are a man so you wouldn't understand.  Ask your wife what the difference is.  

Not saying it isn’t necessary, I’m saying it’s a sick world because it is. Women being given the right to kill children is nothing to celebrate. From the moment it was legal to abort a child, we should have been working towards a society where it isn’t necessary accept in the rarest of occasions. 

Instead of fixating on the abortion, fixate on the fact how hard women have to fight to have the right to choose anything about their lives.  In most U.S. states women weren't even allowed to have their own bank account unless some male relative was a cosigner on that account UNTIL the mid 70's!!!!    Get a grip and focus on the actual issue that allowing abortions to be legal represents.   Children could have their own savings account in the 60's but my mother had to have my dad's name on her personal bank account, and it was worse in the south.    In the 80's I worked for H&R block in Virginia and a woman came in to do her taxes and told me that when her husband died she had no bank account of her own, so while she waited for probate to be done (in that state a required 6 months) she was pennyless, had no money for food, or to pay the utilities.  Luckily the house was paid for so she did have a place to live, but imagine if they had been in an apartment or a rent house or had a mortgage.  That woman would be on the street because they had no children.   If it weren't for her housekeeper (yes, her husband did well financially) she would have starve or been on the street begging for food.   That would have never happened to a man when his wife died, even if she had been the one who earned the money in the family.

Yeah I’m glad women have come such a long way in such a short amount of time. My Mom told me of a story when I was really young how she had to have my Father sign papers just so she could get a bank account. That’s crazy. It doesn’t lessen the several million children who have been slaughtered since roe vs wade. 

Good for you that you rose to the occasion and raised your child.  Your issue of not wanting another child is very different than the issues that women who do choose abortion (and they never choose it lightly).    So get off your high horse and look at the actual disease in our society instead of fixating on a symptom.

Get off my high horse?? lol statistically women have abortions for all kinds of reasons, and the ones who have them often have more than one. Some as many as 5. Reasons often having nothing to do with their bodies. Often for reasons that are selfish. I’ve often said, if women have the right to not have to raise a child they don’t want, men should have that option as well. There is no getting out of it for a man. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Why deny it?  In the USA feminists celebrate abortion and even brag about them

sub-buzz-27448-1558366874-1.jpg?resize=9

Feminists are a fringe, you are trying to make fringe normal but it is NOT normal, nor is it the majority of women.   Gloria Steinman is a spoiled rich woman who gets too much attention.   You are being silly to pretend like she represents average women in the U.S.  

7 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

Not saying it isn’t necessary, I’m saying it’s a sick world because it is. Women being given the right to kill children is nothing to celebrate. From the moment it was legal to abort a child, we should have been working towards a society where it isn’t necessary accept in the rarest of occasions. 

Yeah I’m glad women have come such a long way in such a short amount of time. My Mom told me of a story when I was really young how she had to have my Father sign papers just so she could get a bank account. That’s crazy. It doesn’t lessen the several million children who have been slaughtered since roe vs wade. 

Get off my high horse?? lol statistically women have abortions for all kinds of reasons, and the ones who have them often have more than one. Some as many as 5. Reasons often having nothing to do with their bodies. Often for reasons that are selfish. I’ve often said, if women have the right to not have to raise a child they don’t want, men should have that option as well. There is no getting out of it for a man. 

You are fixating on a symptom of a disease rather than the cause of the disease.   You are part of the problem, and being emotional about something you have no control over and No Right to control is immature at best.

8 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

You are fixating on a symptom of a disease rather than the cause of the disease.   You are part of the problem, and being emotional about something you have no control over and No Right to control is immature at best.

Of course it’s a symptom. I said as much. The fact that this is celebrated instead of being looked at as the necessary evil it is shows how morally depraved this country is. 

BTW I never said I wanted control over it. I never even said I wanted to see it end legally. I don’t understand what problem you think I’m bringing to this conversation. My only emotion about this is I think it’s sad society has no desire to morally evolve beyond the state where abortion is in such high demand. 

Edited by preacherman76
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Feminists are a fringe

Wait until today's brainwashed SJW's are adults.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1