Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Did the Romans invent Jesus?

zep73

34 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

I rather think that far more ancient Zoroastrianism had a much greater influence on Christianity than any vague Buddhist notions gleaned from Hellenistic philosophers who never even mention the Buddha.

The dualism no doubt. But the parables and other teachings can be found in Buddhist writings that pre-date Christianity idea for idea.

Greco-Buddhist writings from that era were destroyed by both Christians and Muslims. Very few even made it to Songshan.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Piney said:

The dualism no doubt. But the parables and other teachings can be found in Buddhist writings that pre-date Christianity idea for idea.

Greco-Buddhist writings from that era were destroyed by both Christians and Muslims. Very few even made it to Songshan.

I'd beg to differ. I see nothing other than general virtues common to all peoples. Or do you think Buddhist missionaries made it over the waters to teach our ancestors civilized virtues as well?

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

I'd beg to differ. I see nothing other than general virtues common to all peoples. Or do you think Buddhist missionaries made it over the waters to teach our ancestors civilized virtues as well?

Charles Eastman reads like a Sohei manual. 

3 minutes ago, Piney said:

Charles Eastman reads like a Sohei manual. 

Non Sequitur to the discussion. So do you, for that matter and you both are not that far removed in time and both Western educated. Maybe he read some Sohei manuals, too.

• Thanks 1

Indo-Greece contact and influence... 

Ex Occidente Imperium. · ashoka . · The Mauryan Empire was established in 321 BCE in the wake of Alexander the Great · When the Greeks Converted ...
Mauryan Empire and Greece from www.academia.edu

Chandragupta Maurya rules 324–298 B.C.. Greek ambassador Megasthenes sent to Mauryan Empire: c. 300 B.C.. Bindusara (son of Chandragupta) rules 297-272 B.C..

Before the Mauryan Empire, the Indian subcontinent was fragmented into hundreds of ... is today Afghanistan and was at that time controlled by the Greeks.

~

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SHaYap said:

Indo-Greece contact and influence... 

~

Bear in mind that Gnaeus Pompeius Trogus (fl. 1st century BC), also anglicized as Pompey Trogue, was a Gallo-Roman historian from the Celtic Vocontii tribe in Narbonese Gaul who lived during the reign of the emperor Augustus. He was nearly contemporary with Livy

9 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Bear in mind that Gnaeus Pompeius Trogus (fl. 1st century BC), also anglicized as Pompey Trogue, was a Gallo-Roman historian from the Celtic Vocontii tribe in Narbonese Gaul who lived during the reign of the emperor Augustus. He was nearly contemporary with Livy

Gautama Buddha was not revered as a divine / godlike character or as anything other than an enlightened teacher.

~

Greek Buddha shows how their Early Buddhism shaped the philosophy of Pyrrho, the famous founder of Pyrrhonian scepticism in ancient Greece.
4.4(43)

Greek Buddha shows how their Early Buddhism shaped the philosophy of Pyrrho, the famous founder of Pyrrhonian scepticism in ancient Greece...

~

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, SHaYap said:

Gautama Buddha was not revered as a divine / godlike character or as anything other than an enlightened teacher.

Was not, past tense, by about 26 centuries.

See the source image

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Was not, past tense, by about 26 centuries

You still can't get over your prejudices can you? 

You make your Buddha god all you want, it doesn't change what Siddhartha Gautama Buddha is or ever was. 

All your beliefs are just what it is or will ever be, beliefs. 

Faith is never a sound measure of credence, as incredulous as it may sound to you. 

Have fun scouring sharpies all over your thought process... 

:D

~

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, SHaYap said:

You still can't get over your prejudices can you? 

You make your Buddha god all you want, it doesn't change what Siddhartha Gautama Buddha is or ever was. 

All your beliefs are just what it is or will ever be, beliefs. 

Faith is never a sound measure of credence, as incredulous as it may sound to you. 

Have fun scouring sharpies all over your thought process... 

:D

~

I'm sure you believe all that, too. :rolleyes: From my perspective, the difference between reverence and worship is no more significant than that between Imperial and Metric measurement. What you've done with your "humble" yet Noble teacher seems quite Christian. The exalted prince humbled himself and on death was re-exalted by his followers in perpetuity. So, enjoy figuring out why your fracked-up existence is really your own fault and work on that self-improvement.

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

I'm sure you believe all that, too. 

Here in lies your waywardness, I know... 

:rolleyes: From my perspective, the difference between reverence and worship is no more significant than that between Imperial and Metric measurement.

Therein lies your dogmatic enclosed mental prison... A space probe crashed on Mars beg to differ... 

~

What you've done with your "humble" yet Noble teacher seems quite Christian. The exalted prince humbled himself and on death was re-exalted by his followers in perpetuity.

Let's see what our buddy Jesus is alleged to have said... 

“Judge not, that ye be not judged. “For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again. “And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

How can you say, 'Brother, let me take the speck out of your eye,' while you yourself fail to see the beam in your own eye? You hypocrite! First take the beam ...

You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the...

Sounds like a teacher... 

What does Jesus the God says... 

Final Judgment primarily refers to the eschatological judgment that will take place when Jesus returns to judge the living and the dead, and the recompense ( ...

John 5:29 - and will come forth; those who did the good deeds to a resurrection of life, those who committed the evil deeds to a resurrection of judgment.

~

So, enjoy figuring out why your fracked-up existence is really your own fault and work on that self-improvement.

Oh dear... 

That's a chronic Christan complex you have there, make some Latino friends, might help get over your Jesus multi personality syndrome 

Have fun... 

~

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, SHaYap said:

Here in lies your waywardness, I know... 

Therein lies your dogmatic enclosed mental prison... A space probe crashed on Mars beg to differ... 

~

Let's see what our buddy Jesus is alleged to have said... 

Sounds like a teacher... 

What does Jesus the God says... 

~

Oh dear... 

That's a chronic Christan complex you have there, make some Latino friends, might help get over your Jesus multi personality syndrome 

Have fun... 

~

Therein lies your fallacy as I do not subscribe to the Christian mythos concocted over hundreds of years, deifying a precious yet humble teacher. All he got from teaching was crucified while your princely Buddha, all his grandiose enlightenment got him was dying of food poisoning. It amuses me how both sides pontificate over the mystical nonsense they choose to believe, yet can never prove. 

• Haha 2

All he got from teaching was crucified while your princely Buddha, all his grandiose enlightenment got him was dying of food poisoning.

Thus is the fate from the company you keep, most importantly, one is placated with with being in peace while finally at peace... When ya gotta go, ya go... 

~

It amuses me how both sides pontificate over the mystical nonsense they choose to believe, yet can never prove. 

Speak no more, the mystical hypocrisy is the worse, well... The exalted politico masquerading as mystical, actually, but you know what I'm kneading at... 

~

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, SHaYap said:

Thus is the fate from the company you keep, most importantly, one is placated with with being in peace while finally at peace... When ya gotta go, ya go... 

~

Speak no more, the mystical hypocrisy is the worse, well... The exalted politico masquerading as mystical, actually, but you know what I'm kneading at... 

~

Not really. As usual your diatribe is whimsical, twisted and conflicted, trying to stay one step ahead of the thought police, I suppose. The name has been changed to protect the guilty--but what's in a moniker? A rose by any other name still gives me hay fever.

• Haha 3

Just now, Hammerclaw said:

Not really. As usual your diatribe is whimsical, twisted and conflicted, trying to stay one step ahead of the thought police, I suppose.

Time to pop some of your paranoid pills, get some rest, you won't feel any better but then, that's what you want. 

~

The name has been changed to protect the guilty--but what's in a moniker?

You mean like Joshua aka Jesus aka Emmanuel... 

~

A rose by any other name still gives me hay fever.

Your problem, not mine. 

Wear a mask, it helps... 

:yes:

~

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, SHaYap said:

Time to pop some of your paranoid pills, get some rest, you won't feel any better but then, that's what you want. 

~

You mean like Joshua aka Jesus aka Emmanuel... 

~

Your problem, not mine. 

Wear a mask, it helps... 

:yes:

~

Paranoid? Nah, I got all that mystical enlightenment/nirvana crap out of my system during my irresponsible tweens. It was just another path to the same dead-end street. Neither Buddhism nor Christianity works if you don't believe. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

Paranoid? Nah, I got all that mystical enlightenment/nirvana crap out of my system during my irresponsible tweens.

Sounds like ya got the dawg stuck up right in your in between... 

~

2 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

It was just another path to the same dead-end street. Neither Buddhism nor Christianity works if you don't believe. 

Since you put it that way, neither does anything else, guess it's time to start burning the greenbacks to keep warm comes the cold I guess... 

Best of luck to you at BestBuy 

~

20 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

Actually, in March 415 AD, she was murdered on the streets of Alexandria by a mob of Christians led by a man named Peter, a Lector. Her story was transmogrified over the centuries into which she was inserted as a martyr to science, the last of the Hellenes and even a Christian martyr. Justin Martyr created quite a craze, didn't he?

Hypatia - Wikipedia

Ah thanks for the correction Hammer.   I was skeptical of that info, Anyway she was very well educated and brilliant?

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, lightly said:

Ah thanks for the correction Hammer.   I was skeptical of that info, Anyway she was very well educated and brilliant?

From what I've read. Often ancient historical tales are told, more to make a point in their times, than to be historically accurate, thousands of years later.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, SHaYap said:

Sounds like ya got the dawg stuck up right in your in between... 

~

Since you put it that way, neither does anything else, guess it's time to start burning the greenbacks to keep warm comes the cold I guess... 

Best of luck to you at BestBuy 

~

Well, my computer works without belief, the sun also rises and my ancestors are all buried and forgotten and I guess they don't give a damn; not a peep out of them. Enjoy living in your diaspora, feeling superior to the locals.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

Well, my computer works without belief, the sun also rises and my ancestors are all buried and forgotten and I guess they don't give a damn; not a peep out of them.

Contrary to popular belief, codes and binary protocols works on the digital beliefs of compatibility, which have to be updated on and off whenever there are incremental awareness to improving the nanometres for teraflops to petabytes, but then again, that's usually imperceptible to the user. But I digress... 

The sun neither rises or sets, that's a basic misconception that has made its way into common beliefs, but you already know that... 

Your ancestors, buried or otherwise, is never forgotten, damns given or not, they speak through you and everyone, sharing your ancestry or not, and yes... They do peep... In all that you can and cannot do and can't undo...

As good ol ' Jim sang it...

" Like the pine trees lining along the road, I got a name, I got a name... "

Shoo be do be doo a wop bop bop wop bam boo

I  IV V

~

4 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

Enjoy living in your diaspora, feeling superior to the locals.

Sounds like you miss your Fatherland as much your ancestors, you'll get over it, just don't give a damn Scarlet ... all gone with the wind 

Cheers 

~

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, SHaYap said:

Contrary to popular belief, codes and binary protocols works on the digital beliefs of compatibility, which have to be updated on and off whenever there are incremental awareness to improving the nanometres for teraflops to petabytes, but then again, that's usually imperceptible to the user. But I digress... 

The sun neither rises or sets, that's a basic misconception that has made its way into common beliefs, but you already know that... 

Your ancestors, buried or otherwise, is never forgotten, damns given or not, they speak through you and everyone, sharing your ancestry or not, and yes... They do peep... In all that you can and cannot do and can't undo...

As good ol ' Jim sang it...

" Like the pine trees lining along the road, I got a name, I got a name... "

Shoo be do be doo a wop bop bop wop bam boo

I  IV V

~

Sounds like you miss your Fatherland as much your ancestors, you'll get over it, just don't give a damn Scarlet ... all gone with the wind 

Cheers 

~

You should go meditate and ponder the significance of no one understanding half of whatever it is you are saying at any given moment. Yes, I know you own all your own faults, perhaps you should take out a second mortgage on them. Bye, bye; talk is cheap and the meter is running.

Buddha Bless you.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

You should go meditate and ponder the significance of no one understanding half of whatever it is you are saying at any given moment.

No one? 

Surely you jest, a rude awakening is so much fun, is it not? 

~

Yes, I know you own all your own faults, perhaps you should take out a second mortgage on them. Bye, bye; talk is cheap and the meter is running.

Leave the meter running mate, I won't be but a while, your generosity with the doles are inexhaustible... On top of which when talking cheap, such bliss... 

~

Buddha Bless you.

When you bless your good self ...

Don't start chanting now, or the neighbours will be piśśed

~

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SHaYap said:

No one? 

Surely you jest, a rude awakening is so much fun, is it not? 

~

Leave the meter running mate, I won't be but a while, your generosity with the doles are inexhaustible... On top of which when talking cheap, such bliss... 

~

When you bless your good self ...

Don't start chanting now, or the neighbours will be piśśed

~

What can I say? I'd have to hand it to you!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Hammerclaw said:

What can I say? I'd have to hand it to you!

They listen but does not hear... 

20 Feb 2008  Tai Lihua, art director of China Disabled People's Performing Art Troupe, leads 20 deaf dancers to perform "Thousand-hand Guan Yin," in ...

~

• Thanks 3