Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
OverSword

Australians Riot Against Further Covid Lockdowns

177 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

OverSword
Quote

 

Thousands of people took to the streets of Sydney and other Australian cities on Saturday to protest lockdown restrictions amid another surge in cases, and police made several arrests after crowds broke through barriers and threw plastic bottles and plants.

The unmasked participants marched from Sydney's Victoria Park to Town Hall in the central business district, carrying signs calling for "freedom" and "the truth."

There was a heavy police presence in Sydney, including mounted police and riot officers in response to what authorities said was unauthorized protest activity. Police confirmed a number of arrests had been made after objects were thrown at officers.

New South Wales Police said it recognized and supported the rights of free speech and peaceful assembly, but the protest was a breach of public health orders.

"The priority for NSW Police is always the safety of the wider community," a police statement said.

 

Link

  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OverSword

I just looked up numbers and see that only 13% of Australians are vaccinated.  And now you have these riots full of unmasked people.  The way the they talk on this forum is certainly different from the reality of their society in 'nit?  So what's the deal is Australia just bery heavy with anti-vaxxers?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
and then
4 hours ago, OverSword said:

"The priority for NSW Police is always the safety of the wider community," a police statement said.

Sounds a lot like "for the greater good", huh?   How many outrages and atrocities have governments accomplished in service of THAT goal?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
aztek
6 hours ago, OverSword said:

I just looked up numbers and see that only 13% of Australians are vaccinated.  And now you have these riots full of unmasked people.  The way the they talk on this forum is certainly different from the reality of their society in 'nit?  So what's the deal is Australia just bery heavy with anti-vaxxers?

sounds like antifa rioters here, during full blown pandemic,   maybe the same forces at work there. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Liquid Gardens
7 hours ago, OverSword said:

I just looked up numbers and see that only 13% of Australians are vaccinated.

I just looked up numbers and see that the US is roughly 15ish times that of Australia's population yet we have 600 times more covid deaths.  Actually our number of covid deaths is 20ish times the number of cases they've had.  'A' for effort, but I think we automatically lose all 'neener neener' taunts at other countries on just about all things covid-related.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
psyche101
7 hours ago, OverSword said:

I just looked up numbers and see that only 13% of Australians are vaccinated.  And now you have these riots full of unmasked people.  The way the they talk on this forum is certainly different from the reality of their society in 'nit?  So what's the deal is Australia just bery heavy with anti-vaxxers?

No, we can't get the vaccine. August and September we are supposed to see it. Hundreds are being turned away because the numbskulls in government screwed up the rollout. Chemists and doctors are complaining more about the lack of vaccine than they are about hesitancy. And even hesitancy is based around AZ because of the bed press ithas had. We have very limited supplies. I'm in line myself. 

Check the riots numbers and damage before commenting. I'm in Queensland. Southern states had higher turnout numbers for the idiots protesting. The Brisbane turnout looked pretty safe from what I saw. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
psyche101

https://www.afr.com/politics/federal/how-we-got-into-this-vaccine-mess-20210708-p587v7

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-56825920.amp

The reason we have a low death rate is a responsible community. We all did out bit. Well mostly. The wannabe Americans had their fifteen minutes as you noted above. The reason we have no vaccines is because our government has an idiot at the wheel who keeps screwing up the rollout.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
psyche101
4 hours ago, and then said:

Sounds a lot like "for the greater good", huh?   How many outrages and atrocities have governments accomplished in service of THAT goal?

I've had people like you do letter box drops on my area.

 I've let them know that their thoughts aren't welcome in my letterbox. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
and then
1 hour ago, psyche101 said:

I've had people like you do letter box drops on my area.

 I've let them know that their thoughts aren't welcome in my letterbox. 

 

 These citizens marched because they've gotten frustrated about what they see as government overreach.  They are angry because of being restricted, I assume.  The area of the U.S. where I reside had spent less than 90 days where people weren't carrying on life as usual - save for wearing masks, and eating inside at restaurants.  I can't even imagine being treated in a similar fashion as your citizens and Canadians are being treated.

Is there any line beyond which your government could summarily restrict you and you refuse to comply?  I mean, can you envision a restriction against your movement that you would publicly protest?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Golden Duck
9 hours ago, OverSword said:

I just looked up numbers and see that only 13% of Australians are vaccinated.  And now you have these riots full of unmasked people.  The way the they talk on this forum is certainly different from the reality of their society in 'nit?  So what's the deal is Australia just bery heavy with anti-vaxxers?

Protesting a lock-down isn't the same as being an anti-vaxxer.

The link in the OP concludes with a statement about the shortage of vaccines.  The phrase "tyranny of distance" is well understood in this region.  New Zealand currently have 12.8 per cent fully vaccinated.

I don't how much of the blame can be placed on the Federal Government.  I have to visit the State Government's Health site to check eligibility for the vaccine.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OverSword
2 hours ago, Liquid Gardens said:

I just looked up numbers and see that the US is roughly 15ish times that of Australia's population yet we have 600 times more covid deaths.  Actually our number of covid deaths is 20ish times the number of cases they've had.  'A' for effort, but I think we automatically lose all 'neener neener' taunts at other countries on just about all things covid-related.

I don’t think we do lose neener privileges because of the holier than thou attitude from too many of our platypus pals. 
 

Neener!! :D

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OverSword
2 hours ago, psyche101 said:

No, we can't get the vaccine. August and September we are supposed to see it. Hundreds are being turned away because the numbskulls in government screwed up the rollout. Chemists and doctors are complaining more about the lack of vaccine than they are about hesitancy. And even hesitancy is based around AZ because of the bed press ithas had. We have very limited supplies. I'm in line myself. 

Check the riots numbers and damage before commenting. I'm in Queensland. Southern states had higher turnout numbers for the idiots protesting. The Brisbane turnout looked pretty safe from what I saw. 

I know but I have to take ‘em when I get ‘em with you guys. You’re just so perfect (see Kevin Klein in A Fish Called Wanda)

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Golden Duck
4 minutes ago, and then said:

 These citizens marched because they've gotten frustrated about what they see as government overreach.  They are angry because of being restricted, I assume.  The area of the U.S. where I reside had spent less than 90 days where people weren't carrying on life as usual - save for wearing masks, and eating inside at restaurants.  I can't even imagine being treated in a similar fashion as your citizens and Canadians are being treated.

Is there any line beyond which your government could summarily restrict you and you refuse to comply?  I mean, can you envision a restriction against your movement that you would publicly protest?

Four weeks in the Nation's largest city during record peak infections is even less than 90 days in your area.  What over reach are we talking here?

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GlitterRose
2 hours ago, psyche101 said:

No, we can't get the vaccine. August and September we are supposed to see it. Hundreds are being turned away because the numbskulls in government screwed up the rollout. Chemists and doctors are complaining more about the lack of vaccine than they are about hesitancy. And even hesitancy is based around AZ because of the bed press ithas had. We have very limited supplies. I'm in line myself. 

Check the riots numbers and damage before commenting. I'm in Queensland. Southern states had higher turnout numbers for the idiots protesting. The Brisbane turnout looked pretty safe from what I saw. 

Did they?

Color me jaded, but with all of the "screwing up of the rollouts" going on around the world, I have to wonder if that isn't exactly what was intended.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Golden Duck
2 minutes ago, OverSword said:

I know but I have to take ‘em when I get ‘em with you guys. You’re just so perfect (see Kevin Klein in A Fish Called Wanda)

Did you know we beat France in the (15-man) Rugby last week.  They're one of the top-tier nations in Rugby.

Does France play any other sports?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OverSword
11 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

Protesting a lock-down isn't the same as being an anti-vaxxer.

And yet look at the lack of masks in the riots 

  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
psyche101
5 minutes ago, and then said:

 These citizens marched because they've gotten frustrated about what they see as government overreach.  They are angry because of being restricted, I assume. 

They are acting badly. Idiots who want to play like the Americans they see on TV.  My state has had a series of short sharp lockdowns.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.abc.net.au/article/100256102

If they had half a brain between them, they would be protesting the government's constantly shifting goal posts. Not medical advice that is being passed on. 

5 minutes ago, and then said:

The area of the U.S. where I reside had spent less than 90 days where people weren't carrying on life as usual - save for wearing masks, and eating inside at restaurants.  I can't even imagine being treated in a similar fashion as your citizens and Canadians are being treated.

The majority of people are still functional. 

What exactly are you referring to about how citizen's are being treated? Most people here so what has to be done. Instead of just reading right wing sources perhaps you should watch some of our current affairs shows interviewing people in the street and in lines waiting for vaccination. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.abc.net.au/article/100170888

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQoiXT6H_uBG__a3RZ2y90

5 minutes ago, and then said:

Is there any line beyond which your government could summarily restrict you and you refuse to comply?  I mean, can you envision a restriction against your movement that you would publicly protest?

Not really. Hypothetically it's possible I suppose but hard to see. 

Most people I person know would rather protest the anti vax protesters. They act un-Australian.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
psyche101
14 minutes ago, OverSword said:

I don’t think we do lose neener privileges because of the holier than thou attitude from too many of our platypus pals. 
 

Neener!! :D

So you can't take what you give.

What a shock.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Golden Duck
1 minute ago, OverSword said:

And yet look at the lack of masks in the riots 

There's no denying we have d********s in this country.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
psyche101
10 minutes ago, GlitterRose said:

Did they?

Color me jaded, but with all of the "screwing up of the rollouts" going on around the world, I have to wonder if that isn't exactly what was intended.

We have the worst record in the western world I believe. 

If it was deliberate we win!! Neener @OverSword

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
and then
16 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

Four weeks in the Nation's largest city during record peak infections is even less than 90 days in your area.  What over reach are we talking here?

You'd know your neighbors best.  I assumed they wouldn't be marching for fun and relaxation.   I haven't bothered to educate myself on the other intrusions into their/your everyday liberties that are being incurred.  I also had no idea how poor your access to vaccines has been.  

Rumors around America are that the CDC is going to make "mandatory" the wearing of masks inside in public places - to the extent they have the power to do so.  People in my part of the country will mostly ignore that order unless they actually SEE evidence of a need.  

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GlitterRose
21 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

We have the worst record in the western world I believe. 

If it was deliberate we win!! Neener @OverSword

Somewhere there's a bunch of people sipping expensive champagne, watching it on the big screen to the tune of Baby, Give It Up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
psyche101
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, and then said:

You'd know your neighbors best.  I assumed they wouldn't be marching for fun and relaxation.   I haven't bothered to educate myself on the other intrusions into their/your everyday liberties that are being incurred.  I also had no idea how poor your access to vaccines has been.  

If you don't know much about the situation, why do you appear to instantly assume there is a real problem? As you can see the lockdown situation is exaggerated by these individuals.

Small groups that buck mainstream with alternative ideas are common, creationists, flat earther's etc. why do you not consider those similarities here? What makes this group different in method and conclusion?

Quote

Rumors around America are that the CDC is going to make "mandatory" the wearing of masks inside in public places - to the extent they have the power to do so.  People in my part of the country will mostly ignore that order unless they actually SEE evidence of a need.  

What is the big deal about wearing a mask? It's a small inconvenience that most of the world is embracing because something is better than nothing and want to do their bit. It's not specifically American or specifically government. Do you think surgeons should protest mask wearing? 

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
psyche101
4 minutes ago, GlitterRose said:

Somewhere there's a bunch of people sipping expensive champagne, watching it on the big screen to the tune of Baby, Give It Up.

Our PM is more likely planning his next OS holiday for next time the country is in serious crisis. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GlitterRose
Just now, psyche101 said:

Our PM is more likely planning his next OS holiday for next time the country is in serious crisis. 

Oh he can join Ted Cruz in Cancun next time.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.