Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Influencing Reality

Duke Wellington

In physics we have various forms of causation which have been proven in laboratory experiments:

Regular cause and effect: A cause occurs, it transfers energy to the the next step, then energy is transferred to the next step, and so on until the final step is reached, which is the outcome. The energy transfer between each step occurs through space, and is limited by the speed of light.

Non-Locality: Probabilistic causation where the outcome of one probability, determines the outcome of other probabilities, if they are identical probabilities applying to a set of objects where the probabilities are specifically about something that is identical for all of them. Energy transfer does not occur through space, isn`t restricted by the speed of light, and conveys an unknown mechanism built into the fabric of reality. Often interpreted as extra dimensions, a multiverse, or parallel universes.

Retro-Causation: This is like regular cause and effect except the effect brings into existence its causes. So if you walk in a room and see a boiling kettle the boiling kettle brings into existence its past causes - the manufacture of the kettle, the creation of a power plant, the filling of the kettle with water, the plugging in of the kettle, and someone having flicked the switch.

All three above are proven, physics have the experiments that show them in action, and I say that while realising many people will have a problem even being open to Non-Locality and Retro-Causation. Thats because unless they have a degree in physics or engineering they wont of heard about any of it. Now I want to propose there is an as of yet unidentified form of causation. One which is goes against how we see the world, goes unspotted by most, and which is very complex meaning it would take a genius to figure out the physics experiment needed to test if its real.

Established Patterns as Causation: I propose that when a pattern is repeated again and again, dozens of times, and then an attempt at ceasing that pattern occurs, the universe tries to keep it going. Almost like there is some kind of exotic dampening field to resist change.

I will give a few stories to articulate what I mean

Accounting: Many years ago I got AAT qualified and set about getting a new job in accounting. I couldn`t get one. They were few and far between where I lived, and so many people were applied for them that despite being qualified companies were going with the experience. So I used pattern as causation to get me my first accounting job. I did 3 things. The first is I defined what my work socks would be, and every morning I would put on a pair as I sat at home unemployed. I would leave them on from 9am to 5pm. The second is that I would set my alarm clock every morning and allow myself to be resentful at having to get up everyday at 7am. The third one is between the hours of 9am and 5pm I would do all the exercises in my accounting textbooks, while imagining myself doing them in a job.

I established this pattern over 2 weeks. Then I stopped. Two days later I got a job interview and got given the accounting job. I set a pattern, I established it over 2 weeks, I tried to stop the pattern, and the universe took steps to keep it going.

Dieting: At one point I attempt to loose weight by dieting and I stuck to it for 3 weeks straight. At the start of the fourth week I caved. I ordered a fried chicken barm from my local butty shop and they delivered me a salad in error. I went to the shops to get chocolate to find I had left my debit card at home. I ordered a pizza and my girlfriend dropped it topping side down onto the carpet, an area of the carpet a few weeks before we had cleaned dog poop off. My attempts to stuff my face with unhealthy food were being countered by the universe as it sought to keep my diet pattern going.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I am in agreement with your findings.  I notice whenever I decide I will cut back on drinking I will find myself in circumstances in which it would be very difficult to turn down a drink without being a killjoy and I could never allow that to happen :P

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Cookie Monster said:

Energy transfer does not occur through space, isn`t restricted by the speed of light, and conveys an unknown mechanism built into the fabric of reality.

I'm unfamiliar with this, when did science 'prove' energy transfer can happen faster than light?  If you're referring to quantum entanglement, I'm not sure you're stating its effects correctly:

http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/about-us/137-physics/general-physics/particles-and-quantum-physics/810-does-quantum-entanglement-imply-faster-than-light-communication-intermediate

The way people get around the idea that entanglement implies instantaneous communication is that no actual information is passed when the entangled particles affect each other. The argument is as follows (using a non-QM example):

Say you agree to send out two beams of light to your two friends who live on opposite sides of the galaxy (you live in the middle). Ahead of time you tell them that if one of the beams of light is red the other will be blue. So you send the blue beam to your friend on one side and immediately she knows that your other friend is receiving a red beam at the same time. Aha! You say, my friends have now communicated at a speed faster than the speed of light and violated relativity, but no real information has been passed between them. You have told both of them at a normal sub-luminal speed about what you just did and that's all. (A way of proving there's no faster than light communication is that you could lie and send them both the same coloured beam of light and they would never know!).

With QM is gets a bit more complicated because theoretically no-one knows the state of the particle until it has been observed, but you still cannot affect the state of the particle so the argument is the same.

• Like 7

In physics we have various forms of causation which have been proven in laboratory experiments:

Do you still see "decoherence", or has a doctor fixed that for you?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

This is like regular cause and effect except the effect brings into existence its causes. So if you walk in a room and see a boiling kettle the boiling kettle brings into existence its past causes - the manufacture of the kettle, the creation of a power plant, the filling of the kettle with water, the plugging in of the kettle, and someone having flicked the switch.

Still on this quantum mysticism?  Gather no one has seen your brain, it's waiting to pop into existence.

• Haha 3

If we live in a simulated universe then what you describe could be a system hack, which is quite an appealing idea.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

Regular cause and effect: A cause occurs, it transfers energy to the the next step, then energy is transferred to the next step, and so on until the final step is reached, which is the outcome. The energy transfer between each step occurs through space, and is limited by the speed of light.

Non-Locality: Probabilistic causation where the outcome of one probability, determines the outcome of other probabilities, if they are identical probabilities applying to a set of objects where the probabilities are specifically about something that is identical for all of them. Energy transfer does not occur through space, isn`t restricted by the speed of light, and conveys an unknown mechanism built into the fabric of reality. Often interpreted as extra dimensions, a multiverse, or parallel universes.

Retro-Causation: This is like regular cause and effect except the effect brings into existence its causes. So if you walk in a room and see a boiling kettle the boiling kettle brings into existence its past causes - the manufacture of the kettle, the creation of a power plant, the filling of the kettle with water, the plugging in of the kettle, and someone having flicked the switch.

All three above are proven, physics have the experiments that show them in action, and I say that while realising many people will have a problem even being open to Non-Locality and Retro-Causation. Thats because unless they have a degree in physics or engineering they wont of heard about any of it. Now I want to propose there is an as of yet unidentified form of causation. One which is goes against how we see the world, goes unspotted by most, and which is very complex meaning it would take a genius to figure out the physics experiment needed to test if its real.

Established Patterns as Causation: I propose that when a pattern is repeated again and again, dozens of times, and then an attempt at ceasing that pattern occurs, the universe tries to keep it going. Almost like there is some kind of exotic dampening field to resist change.

Accounting: Many years ago I got AAT qualified and set about getting a new job in accounting. I couldn`t get one. They were few and far between where I lived, and so many people were applied for them that despite being qualified companies were going with the experience. So I used pattern as causation to get me my first accounting job. I did 3 things. The first is I defined what my work socks would be, and every morning I would put on a pair as I sat at home unemployed. I would leave them on from 9am to 5pm. The second is that I would set my alarm clock every morning and allow myself to be resentful at having to get up everyday at 7am. The third one is between the hours of 9am and 5pm I would do all the exercises in my accounting textbooks, while imagining myself doing them in a job.

I established this pattern over 2 weeks. Then I stopped. Two days later I got a job interview and got given the accounting job. I set a pattern, I established it over 2 weeks, I tried to stop the pattern, and the universe took steps to keep it going.

Dieting: At one point I attempt to loose weight by dieting and I stuck to it for 3 weeks straight. At the start of the fourth week I caved. I ordered a fried chicken barm from my local butty shop and they delivered me a salad in error. I went to the shops to get chocolate to find I had left my debit card at home. I ordered a pizza and my girlfriend dropped it topping side down onto the carpet, an area of the carpet a few weeks before we had cleaned dog poop off. My attempts to stuff my face with unhealthy food were being countered by the universe as it sought to keep my diet pattern going.

I'm impressed by the way you science types manage to combine philosophy with physics and engineering.

I always get lost when you egg-heads talk about all these advanced theories! 

Especially helpful is the way you give practical examples, like your job preparation and dieting. If I'd been delivered a salad when I'd ordered friend chicken I would not have thought it was due to universal forces, I'd have probably just thought they had got the order wrong.

Powerful stuff!

Edited by Ted E Hughes
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

I certainly didn't realize that mysticism was a physics based science.!!:lol:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Ted E Hughes said:

I'm impressed by the way you science types manage to combine philosophy with physics and engineering.

I always get lost when you egg-heads talk about all these advanced theories! 

Especially helpful is the way you give practical examples, like your job preparation and dieting. If I'd been delivered a salad when I'd ordered friend chicken I would not have thought it was due to universal forces, I'd have probably just thought they had got the order wrong.

Powerful stuff!

My friend the subject of this thread isn't powerful, it's actually mystical!:lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Best way to influence your reality, and stay in reality I might add, is to remain positive in ones life and surround yourself with like minded souls.We all face challenges.The only way to confront them is head on with a positive attitude. Bring about change by believing in youself and identifying the negative aspects that are holding you hostage which greatly limit your abilities. 

• Like 4

In my experience we humans constantly alter and shape  reality (the external environment )

eg I put my mind to losing some weight  this year

I simply ate a little less each day,

After 12 weeks I have lost 11 kilos (1.7 stone) 

I aim to  lose about 1 kilo per week  until I am happy with my fitness and appearance .

However, if it is bit less, or a bit more, each week, I won't be bothered. 

Over my life I have planted many thousands of trees.

These are now fully mature and  seeding ,transforming 3 small  areas of my state. 

Edited by Mr Walker

12 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

In my experience we humans constantly alter and shape  reality (the external environment )

eg I put my mind to losing some weight  this year

I simply ate a little less each day,

After 12 weeks I have lost 11 kilos (1.7 stone) 

I aim to  lose about 1 kilo per week  until I am happy with my fitness and appearance .

However, if it is bit less, or a bit more, each week, I won't be bothered. 

Over my life I have planted many thousands of trees.

These are now fully mature and  seeding ,transforming 3 small  areas of my state. 

IMHO, I am thinking that with your heart issues, keeping the weight off should have been handled long ago as it is you are on your last legs. Two major heart surgeries and a pace maker. I offer a reminder you are a carer and are needed, you must prioritize your health. 

‘’Remember my ex, he played Russian roulette with his weight too and had heart issues like you and he dropped dead. A doctor can only do so much then one has  to their part. Consistency and accountability is key. 

All the best. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/27/2021 at 1:33 PM, Cookie Monster said:

You try to explain the basics of quantum physics superlative to our understanding of classical mechanisms into an online forum crippled by hordes of nihilistic trolls, gadfly intellectual Onanists and undereducated conspiracy nuts... as much wasting your breath teaching atomic physics to a colony of anonymous penguins.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Sherapy said:

IMHO, I am thinking that with your heart issues, keeping the weight off should have been handled long ago as it is you are on your last legs. Two major heart surgeries and a pace maker. I offer a reminder you are a carer and are needed, you must prioritize your health. 

‘’Remember my ex, he played Russian roulette with his weight too and had heart issues like you and he dropped dead. A doctor can only do so much then one has  to their part. Consistency and accountability is key. 

All the best. 

lol Nice to see your true colours shining through.

Unless I am hit by a bus the doctors say a minimum of 10 years for me   That would make me about the same age as my father when he died.

I'm healthy enough I walk 5 ks a day as well as doing over 10000 steps a day  in normal living .My blood pressure is 120/75 My cholesterol   is under 2. My sugar levels are fine. My oxygen percentage is over 98%   My resting heart rate is 60 which shows a healthy heart and it recovers very quickly after exercise. 

My carer's role helps me get fitter. but also requires me to be a little fitter.  

My mum was over weight My father a healthy weight . She outlived him by 16 years   (80 -96)  Luckily she was about 6 years older than him, and my wife is about 9 years  older than me so, with a bit of luck we will die close to each other.  Her dad lived to 88, and her mum to 94  but both had Alzheimer's for the last decade or so,  when we cared for them 

23 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

lol Nice to see your true colours shining through.

Unless I am hit by a bus the doctors say a minimum of 10 years for me   That would make me about the same age as my father when he died.

I'm healthy enough I walk 5 ks a day as well as doing over 10000 steps a day  in normal living .My blood pressure is 120/75 My cholesterol   is under 2. My sugar levels are fine. My oxygen percentage is over 98%   My resting heart rate is 60 which shows a healthy heart and it recovers very quickly after exercise. 

My carer's role helps me get fitter. but also requires me to be a little fitter.  

My mum was over weight My father a healthy weight . She outlived him by 16 years   (80 -96)  Luckily she was about 6 years older than him, and my wife is about 9 years  older than me so, with a bit of luck we will die close to each other.  Her dad lived to 88, and her mum to 94  but both had Alzheimer's for the last decade or so,  when we cared for them 

If you keep these numbers then it will absolutely be ten years, minimum.

Maintaining your healthy lifestyle is what is important. 

Developing a false sense of security is easy to do when you reach targets--that's when we are most likely to slip back into old habits.

Edited by Nuclear Wessel
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, CuriousEye said:

You try to explain the basics of quantum physics superlative to our understanding of classical mechanisms into an online forum crippled by hordes of nihilistic trolls, gadfly intellectual Onanists and undereducated conspiracy nuts... as much wasting your breath teaching atomic physics to a colony of anonymous penguins.

Cookie Monster couldn't teach a fish to swim.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

Developing a false sense of security is easy to do when you reach targets--that's when we are most likely to slip back into old habits.

Not sure I follow. 

My specialists give me at LEAST 10 years, after valve replacements and with good healthy arteries etc   after 12 -15 years further surgery might be needed but at that age i dont know if would want it

Are you agreeing or disagreeing with that opinion.  

I follow a medically approved diet and exercise plan. 

My targets are modest and achievable, and give me motivation  eg while Ive lost 10 plus  kg in the last 12 weeks I've lost 30 over the last 18 months  Because my leaking heart valves limited my ability to exercise, i had put on a bit of weight before the operation Once i recovered from the op and some complications ,(about  2 months in hospital)  it took  a while to rebuild capabilities but I had a much higher potential I am now fitter, healthier, and weigh less than i have in30 years  ( since i was 40 )

The y are staged  and reset every few months   eg when i came out of hospital i couldn't walk more than 100 yards 

After a couple of weeks I was  walking a kilometer and after a few months doing  5 ks in 50minutes  which is a reasonable and sustainable goal. It is close to the average for my age group

Ps that's a brisk walk rather than a jog or run.   

Otherwise my general life style keeps me fit, with domestic work and gardening, 

10 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

Not sure I follow. 

I'm unsure as to how I could have been more clear in what I said.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

Not sure I follow. 

My specialists give me at LEAST 10 years, after valve replacements and with good healthy arteries etc   after 12 -15 years further surgery might be needed but at that age i dont know if would want it

My targets are modest and achievable, and give me motivation  eg while Ive lost 10 plus  kg in the last 12 weeks I've lost 30 over the last 18 months  Because my leaking heart valves limited my ability to exercise, i had put on a bit of weight before the operation Once i recovered from the op and some complications ,(about  2 months in hospital)  it took  a while to rebuild capabilities but I had a much higher potential I am now fitter, healthier, and weigh less than i have in30 years  ( since i was 40 )

The y are staged  and reset every few months   eg when i came out of hospital i couldn't walk more than 100 yards 

After a couple of weeks I was  walking a kilometer and after a few months doing  5 ks in 50minutes  which is a reasonable and sustainable goal. It is close to the average for my age group

Get the weight off and keep it off this requires consistency and discipline, and personal accountability with all your super powers this should be a walk in the park for ya.  :P On this you can influence your reality. :tsu:

3 hours ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

Indeed, at this point the wiggle room is gone. Being over weight even a little is horrible for the heart, especially a heart that has gone through two major surgeries. Anything sugar laden is a no no. I work for a Dr. who had a similar surgery to MW, he was overweight, loved his sweets and worked all day and cared for his wife with Parkinson’s all night. Then he had a heart attack. Fast forward 3 years, he puts nothing into his mouth that isn’t healthy, he stays away from sugar, he exercises daily on top of running around at work all day. He gets plenty of rest, sleep is a huge factor in good health an aspect that some disregard. He has a  staff of 4 caregivers ( who rotate) and a chef and fulltime housekeeper. He is in amazing shape for an 85 year old, so it is never to late or one is never to old to turn their health around,  He is the Dr.  that advised me in no uncertain terms the importance of self care as a caregiver on the physical side, including how too much weight is detrimental to ones health. Just my two cents.

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

Not sure I follow. 

You do like to confused me Mr Walker, if you are following a medically approved diet and exercise plan why are you needing to lose weight?  Do you mean you are now following the plans after being advised/told to by medical professionals?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 7/28/2021 at 6:45 AM, khol said:

Best way to influence your reality, and stay in reality I might add, is to remain positive in ones life and surround yourself with like minded souls.We all face challenges.The only way to confront them is head on with a positive attitude. Bring about change by believing in youself and identifying the negative aspects that are holding you hostage which greatly limit your abilities. 

Say it louder to the meek and cynical sheeps herding from the backstage of their own sorry lives.

Edited by CuriousEye

11 hours ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

I'm unsure as to how I could have been more clear in what I said.

Sorry I am so used to  disagreement from  you, that I hadn't realised you were trying to be supportive .

My apologies.   

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TashaMarie said:

You do like to confused me Mr Walker, if you are following a medically approved diet and exercise plan why are you needing to lose weight?  Do you mean you are now following the plans after being advised/told to by medical professionals?

Yes. A couple of years ago I had a serious  operation to replace leaking heart valves, which had gradually but severely impacted my physical fitness  During that time i had slowly put on  about 4 stone in weight  ( A year later the y realised  that i also needed a pacemaker to correct some damage done in the operation )

It took  me several months to recover enough from the op. to be able to start exercising.  When i came out of hospital I could only walk  about 100 yards  due to muscle weakness etc .

We worked out a health plan involving a fitness programme. I was already eating healthily, but just a little too much  each day 

By simply reducing my calorie intake a little each day my weight goes down slowly  That requires consistent discipline as i enjoy food for both its  social and culinary pleasure.

I don't actually like or enjoy exercise, as I find it incredibly boring,  but I enjoy activities like gardening, bike riding,  etc.  which give me exercise .

I can tolerate walking for an hour or so a day,  if I have a podcast or similar, uploaded to listen to.  I do like the results of walking ie improved fitness and sense of well being,  but it's a very slow way  to get fit/lose weight 

Anyway,  these days every test and result;  blood pressure, cholesterol, sugar, and organ functions, comes back exceptionally  good.  In Australia we are lucky that all healthcare   for pensioners,  including doctors,  hospitals,  vaccinations  and drugs (above a safety net limit) are completely  free.  So are activities as part of a healthcare plan,  although I pay about   $10 a week for the fitness component 

Because my wife suffered a serious and debilitating illness (stroke) she even gets over a thousand dollars a month paid into an account to pay for extra things like home care,  aids,   a wheel  chair, electric beds etc.