Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UK proposes hi-vis chain gangs

Silver

I'm not making this up, I wish I was.

What next-  people on benefits to wear special arm bands so we know who they are? The unemployed to wear fools' tricorn hats with bells? 

And another thing- why are government policies announced in the street or on Twitter, and not in the £2.6 million press room in Downing Street that we all paid for?

Hi-vis chain gangs? This is what happens when a newspaper columnist becomes prime minister

Is it a good idea to get prisoners to do litter picking and so on? Naturally it has emotional appeal, and that’s what counts

Boris Johnson says stop and search policy is 'kind and loving'

Ah, recess. That magic, paralysing time of year in any political columnist’s life when any old crap will have to do. A half-baked thought? Fine. How about something from a few years ago, barely even recycled. No one will remember, will they? Nah, just go with it.

Look, we all do it. There’s no choice when there’s nothing happening. The only slight change in proceedings is that one of us is the actual prime minister, and some decade-old Daily Telegraph column is not merely getting dusted down as today’s Daily Telegraph column but an actual government policy.

Today’s big announcement, announced, as is now customary, via a two-minute clip with a pooled broadcast camera, is the return of chain gangs for antisocial behaviour offenders. Make them wear hi-vis as well. That’s what Boris Johnson has announced, standing in the pouring rain outside a Surrey police station holding a tiny umbrella. It’ll do, won’t it? It certainly got them going in the Telegraph morning editorial meeting circa 2005, so why not now?

Hi-vis chain gangs? This is what happens when a newspaper columnist becomes prime minister | The Independent

Edited by Ted E Hughes
  • Haha 2

I posted an idea something like this a while back, I think mi5 must have my ip address. :ph34r: :lol:

I can find a small gang a job gardening anytime. :tu: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This writer sounds like some Prat cruising on too much caffeine.  "Chain gangs"?  Really?  What he's vigorously venting his spleen over is the use of some inmates to pick up litter by the roadside.  HORRORS!  What's next?  Beheading?  There are some municipalities in several of our states that allow men and women who are serving sentences for non-violent crimes, to reduce their sentences and allow them to be out of their cells for 8 hours a day in return for this kind of labor.  They wear distinctive clothing so that they don't decide just to slip away but NONE of them wear any manner of restraints.  Oh... and it is COMPLETELY VOLUNTARY.  It's exactly this kind of hyperbole that makes rational people look at BLM types like they aren't quite sane.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ted E Hughes said:

I'm not making this up, I wish I was.

What next-  people on benefits to wear special arm bands so we know who they are? The unemployed to wear fools' tricorn hats with bells? 

And another thing- why are government policies announced in the street or on Twitter, and not in the £2.6 million press room in Downing Street that we all paid for?

Hi-vis chain gangs? This is what happens when a newspaper columnist becomes prime minister

Is it a good idea to get prisoners to do litter picking and so on? Naturally it has emotional appeal, and that’s what counts

Boris Johnson says stop and search policy is 'kind and loving'

Ah, recess. That magic, paralysing time of year in any political columnist’s life when any old crap will have to do. A half-baked thought? Fine. How about something from a few years ago, barely even recycled. No one will remember, will they? Nah, just go with it.

Look, we all do it. There’s no choice when there’s nothing happening. The only slight change in proceedings is that one of us is the actual prime minister, and some decade-old Daily Telegraph column is not merely getting dusted down as today’s Daily Telegraph column but an actual government policy.

Today’s big announcement, announced, as is now customary, via a two-minute clip with a pooled broadcast camera, is the return of chain gangs for antisocial behaviour offenders. Make them wear hi-vis as well. That’s what Boris Johnson has announced, standing in the pouring rain outside a Surrey police station holding a tiny umbrella. It’ll do, won’t it? It certainly got them going in the Telegraph morning editorial meeting circa 2005, so why not now?

Hi-vis chain gangs? This is what happens when a newspaper columnist becomes prime minister | The Independent

Putting ex-convicts in high vis gangs cleaning streets and doing maintenance is a good idea.

It amounts to their public shaming, and many people (particularly more negative types likely to become crims) cannot cope with that. Psychopaths, sociopaths and narcissists do not like exposure, its one of their major fears in life.

It would be really good to stop their re-offending, but I think if it goes ahead its also important to have debrief sessions between them and a psychologist (or appropriately trained officers). The aim being their personal development and not to expose them to such high levels of stress that it breaks them. So they need looking after while being exposed to public shaming as we want to mould them in a positive way rather than destroy them.

Psychologists at the moment struggle to treat these disorders, its completely unknown how to fix them, and it might well turn out that public exposure is a tool that can be of use in fixing them. At the very minimum it will mop up their distorted negative perceptions of other people and the world around them, when they realise how they are is looked down upon by most citizens rather than the screwups they have been around.

11 hours ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

I posted an idea something like this a while back, I think mi5 must have my ip address. :ph34r: :lol:

I can find a small gang a job gardening anytime. :tu: 

Ha, I think we might have one or two hidden politicians on these forums.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cookie Monster said:

Putting ex-convicts in high vis gangs cleaning streets and doing maintenance is a good idea.

It amounts to their public shaming, and many people (particularly more negative types likely to become crims) cannot cope with that. Psychopaths, sociopaths and narcissists do not like exposure, its one of their major fears in life.

It would be really good to stop their re-offending, but I think if it goes ahead its also important to have debrief sessions between them and a psychologist (or appropriately trained officers). The aim being their personal development and not to expose them to such high levels of stress that it breaks them. So they need looking after while being exposed to public shaming as we want to mould them in a positive way rather than destroy them.

Psychologists at the moment struggle to treat these disorders, its completely unknown how to fix them, and it might well turn out that public exposure is a tool that can be of use in fixing them. At the very minimum it will mop up their distorted negative perceptions of other people and the world around them, when they realise how they are is looked down upon by most citizens rather than the screwups they have been around.

If public shaming would be effective, why not reintroduce the stocks? Serious question. It would shame the criminal and reassure the public something was being done about crime.

• Haha 1

sure why not,  antisocial behavior offenders. deserve that,  let them walk in bright yellow chains and  shackles.  

also, people on public assistance, or unemployed do not exabit such behavior  

soft on crime approach breeds criminals,  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, aztek said:

sure why not,  antisocial behavior offenders. deserve that,  let them walk in bright yellow chains and  shackles.  

also, people on public assistance, or unemployed do not exabit such behavior  

soft on crime approach breeds criminals,  

Harsh penalties mean less crimes, eh?

I imagine if we introduced the death penalty in the UK there would be less murders? We could have a low crime rate like the US.

Edited by Ted E Hughes

9 minutes ago, Ted E Hughes said:

Harsh penalties mean less crimes, eh?

I imagine if we introduced the death penalty in the UK there would be less murders? We could have a low crime rate like the US.

You could tell by researching number of hangings in relation to murders that happened in the UK before the death penalty was removed.    You would have to take into account population in the equation to determine if it did inhibit people from murder.  And you would have to include the number of unsolved murders in the equation as well.  Then you could have percentages to compare to before and after.

3 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

You could tell by researching number of hangings in relation to murders that happened in the UK before the death penalty was removed.    You would have to take into account population in the equation to determine if it did inhibit people from murder.  And you would have to include the number of unsolved murders in the equation as well.  Then you could have percentages to compare to before and after.

Blimey! Why haven't criminologists thought  of that?

10 minutes ago, Ted E Hughes said:

Blimey! Why haven't criminologists thought  of that?

I'm sure they have and you could look up the statistics if you would rather.  Your post led me to believe you didn't know that the UK had only recently (30 years is relatively recent) gotten rid of the death penalty.

2 hours ago, Ted E Hughes said:Harsh penalties mean less crimes, eh?

Absolutely, usa is your example, bail reforms , early release due to covid caused more than 50% increase in crime especialy shootings.   And it seems to me based on your posts reality is not something you realy give a crap about,vertue signalig is what you,re all about.  

4 minutes ago, aztek said:

Absolutely, usa is your example, bail reforms , early release due to covid caused more than 50% increase in crime especialy shootings.   And it seems to me based on your posts reality is not something you realy give a crap about,vertue signalig is what you,re all about.  

Compared to many USA states the UK has lighter prison sentences, meaning people can get out after 15 years here for murder.

Executing the serious offenders does reduce crime because it nips that in the bud. If they are in the fiery pits of hell they cannot re-offend lol.

Nooses and bullets are also far cheaper for the tax payer than forking out £5000 a week per prisoner to keep them locked up.

Edited by Cookie Monster

7 hours ago, aztek said:

If love for my fellow man is wrong, then call it virtue signalling.

If a life-long quest for justice is wrong, then I am guilty as charged.

If selfless work for the under-privileged is pointless, then my life has no meaning.

My only hope is that one day we will life in a peaceful, harmonious world.

• Haha 1