Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Still Waters

Jawbone of giant vampire bat from 100,000 years ago found in Argentinian cave

Recommended Posts

Still Waters

The jawbone of a bat that lived 100,000 years ago has been confirmed as belonging to an extinct species of giant vampire bat.

The discovery of the jawbone of the species Desmodus draculae, found in a cave in Argentina, is helping fill in the huge gaps in the history of these amazing animals, and could provide some clues as to why these bats eventually died out.

Bats today are extremely diverse. They constitute roughly 20 percent of all known mammal species, which is really quite a sizable chunk, after exploding onto the scene around 50 million years ago.

You might think, therefore, that the fossil record is filled with bats, and that charting their evolutionary history and diversification would have much data to draw on.

You'd be incorrect. The bat fossil record is notoriously poor and patchy. Which means that every discovery is valuable – especially when it comes to vampire bats.

https://www.sciencealert.com/remains-of-a-giant-vampire-bat-from-100-000-years-ago-found-in-an-argentinian-cave

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
psyche101
Posted (edited)

Super Cool, but I have to say the Wikipedia link at the link takes a bit of the wind out of the headlines sails...

Still big...ish, but actually sort of a relief really........ Headline sounded ominous....

:lol:

 

It is the largest-known vampire bat to have ever lived. The length of its skull is 31.2 mm (1.23 in), and its humerus length was approximately 51 mm (2.0 in), as compared to the extant common vampire bat at 32.4–42.4 mm (1.28–1.67 in). Its skull was long and narrow, and its face had an upturned snout.[6]

Based on its skull dimensions, it may have had a wingspan of approximately 50 cm (20 in) and a body mass of 60 g (2.1 oz). The proportions are equivalent to a smaller megabat or larger microbat of modern chiropteran fauna.[7]

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
khol
Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, Still Waters said:

They constitute roughly 20 percent of all known mammal species

Interesting fact I wasnt aware of. Amazing highly evolved creatures. The echo location and heat sensors they use  to find prey are incredible adaptions

Edited by khol
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Still Waters
12 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Super Cool, but I have to say the Wikipedia link at the link takes a bit of the wind out of the headlines sails...

Still big...ish, but actually sort of a relief really........ Headline sounded ominous....

:lol:

 

It is the largest-known vampire bat to have ever lived. The length of its skull is 31.2 mm (1.23 in), and its humerus length was approximately 51 mm (2.0 in), as compared to the extant common vampire bat at 32.4–42.4 mm (1.28–1.67 in). Its skull was long and narrow, and its face had an upturned snout.[6]

Based on its skull dimensions, it may have had a wingspan of approximately 50 cm (20 in) and a body mass of 60 g (2.1 oz). The proportions are equivalent to a smaller megabat or larger microbat of modern chiropteran fauna.[7]

The wiki article goes on to say:

Quote

Desmodus draculae has been occasionally called the giant vampire bat in reference to its greater relative size.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desmodus_draculae

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
psyche101
1 minute ago, Still Waters said:

The wiki article goes on to say:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desmodus_draculae

Either way

Bigger bitey bitey.

No thanks. 

:lol:

  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Still Waters
5 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Either way

Bigger bitey bitey.

No thanks. 

:lol:

I've edited the topic heading. The bat doesn't sound so large now. :D

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
psyche101
Just now, Still Waters said:

I've edited the topic heading. The bat doesn't sound so large now. :D

Maybe change it back. It was pretty cool.... :ph34r:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jethrofloyd

Batman's oldest ancestor.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Abramelin
On 7/28/2021 at 3:24 PM, psyche101 said:

Maybe change it back. It was pretty cool.... :ph34r:

You were initially thinking of something the size of Quetzalcoatlus?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.