Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
The Silver Shroud

Queen exempt from "green" rules

The Silver Shroud
Posted (edited)

Queen secretly lobbied Scottish ministers for climate law exemption

Monarch used secretive procedure to become only person in country not bound by a green energy rule

The documents disclose how the Queen used her special access to Scottish legislation to intervene in the parliamentary process as recently as February. Composite: Guardian/PA/Rex/Shutterstock

The Queen’s lawyers secretly lobbied Scottish ministers to change a draft law to exempt her private land from a major initiative to cut carbon emissions, documents reveal.

The exemption means the Queen, one of the largest landowners in Scotland, is the only person in the country not required to facilitate the construction of pipelines to heat buildings using renewable energy.

Her lawyers secured the dispensation from Scotland’s government five months ago by exploiting an obscure parliamentary procedure known as Queen’s consent, which gives the monarch advance sight of legislation.

The arcane parliamentary mechanism has been borrowed from Westminster, where it has existed as a custom since the 1700s.

Queen secretly lobbied Scottish ministers for climate law exemption | Monarchy | The Guardian

Edited by Ted E Hughes
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Buzz_Light_Year

It doesn't matter what form of government it's always going to be Rules for Thee Are Not Meant for Me.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

quiXilver

Makes me wonder. 

Is it just convenience, or could it be some of the historical structures on her lands would not be conducive to modern methods of construction for compliance?

And secondarily... in general, how does Britain deal with protected structures and modern code?

• Like 1

Cookie Monster
2 hours ago, quiXilver said:

Makes me wonder. 

Is it just convenience, or could it be some of the historical structures on her lands would not be conducive to modern methods of construction for compliance?

And secondarily... in general, how does Britain deal with protected structures and modern code?

The Queen holds full executive power over the UK, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand.

She cannot be arrested or prosecuted for anything. She commands our collective armed forces (not our Parliaments). Nothing can become law unless she signs off on it. She can sack and appoint Prime Ministers and Cabinets Ministers (and has done, most notably in Australia). She can completely dissolve our Parliaments if she wanted too. She is God Empress Queeny!!!

Do you know if you die in Cornwall without a Will then Prince Charles inherits everything? Still, its not as bad as the Middle Ages. Back then he could of turned up on your wedding night to have first go lol.

• Haha 2

Ozymandias
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Cookie Monster said:

The Queen holds full executive power over the UK, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand.

She cannot be arrested or prosecuted for anything. She commands our collective armed forces (not our Parliaments). Nothing can become law unless she signs off on it. She can sack and appoint Prime Ministers and Cabinets Ministers (and has done, most notably in Australia). She can completely dissolve our Parliaments if she wanted too. She is God Empress Queeny!!!

Do you know if you die in Cornwall without a Will then Prince Charles inherits everything? Still, its not as bad as the Middle Ages. Back then he could of turned up on your wedding night to have first go lol.

'We the People ... are not amused'

Fred Scuttle, eat your heart out!

Edited by Ozymandias

quiXilver
3 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

Sounds about right...

The Silver Shroud
10 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

I knew that wasn't Prince Charles! I told my wife at the time! I thought it all seemed a bit suspicious!

• Haha 1

Cookie Monster
1 hour ago, Ted E Hughes said:

I knew that wasn't Prince Charles! I told my wife at the time! I thought it all seemed a bit suspicious!

Technically, all people who were Lords had first digs on your bride lol.

• Haha 1

Golden Duck
On 7/29/2021 at 5:29 AM, Cookie Monster said:

... She can sack and appoint Prime Ministers and Cabinets Ministers (and has done, most notably in Australia). ...

This is not an entirely accurate statement now the "Palace Letters" have been released.

Setton

Nice headline.

What actually happened is she is exempt from compulsory purchase orders (which the government might use to build this infrastructure).

It doesn't mean she won't let them build on Crown land but it does mean the government can't just take Holyrood palace off her to put a pipe through the middle of it.

• Like 1

Setton
On 7/28/2021 at 6:08 PM, quiXilver said:

Makes me wonder. 

For first part, see above.

On the second part, we have listed buildings, Grade I, Grade II* and Grade II.

They can have modern changes made to them but the changes must be in line with the original aesthetic of the listed building.

So say you have a listed 16c thatched cottage. You can absolutely replace the central heating. You can replace the old windows with pvc double glazing BUT you'll need to make sure they look like the originals and get appropriate planning permission. You might not be able to get a tiled roof put on.