Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Light coming from behind a black hole is observed for the first time

docyabut2

13 minutes ago, ThereWeAreThen said:

Science is bueatiful.

...and consistent, and reliable, and is not afraid to admit mistakes.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, zep73 said:

Hush now! You're going to offend people. <_<

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, docyabut2 said:

Docyabut2, you made my day, thanks very much for sharing this.:tu:

This is truly amazing and it also again has proven that Einsteins General Theory of Relativity is spot on. I don't think that many reading this will understand how monumental this discover actually is, stuff like this makes me feel like a giddy child!:lol:

Fifty years ago, when astrophysicists starting speculating about how the magnetic field might behave close to a black hole, they had no idea that one day we might have the techniques to observe this directly and see Einstein’s general theory of relativity in action,” said Roger Blandford, a co-author of the paper who is the Luke Blossom Professor in the School of Humanities and Sciences and Stanford and SLAC professor of physics and particle physics.

Any light that goes into that black hole doesn’t come out, so we shouldn’t be able to see anything that’s behind the black hole,” said Wilkins, who is a research scientist at the Kavli Institute for Particle Astrophysics and Cosmology at Stanford and SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory. It is another strange characteristic of the black hole, however, that makes this observation possible. “The reason we can see that is because that black hole is warping space, bending light and twisting magnetic fields around itself,” Wilkins explained.

https://scitechdaily.com/strange-black-hole-discovery-confirms-einsteins-theory-of-general-relativity/

Thanks for posting this great Docy!!:tu:

1 hour ago, zep73 said:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, zep73 said:

You know Zep73, I am a big Einstein Fan and I find it amazing that during the time frame when he wrote his papers on Special and General Relativity that these concepts could have even been considered. In late 1919 Sir Arthur Eddington performs the first experimental test of Albert Einstein's general theory of relativity by taking photos of the Sun during a solar eclipse  which successful proves that not only can strong gravitational fields bend light and it can also warp space-time. 

While Newton was Einsteins personal hero, he was unable to agree with Newtons Universal Law of Gravity. To Einsteins It wasn't consistent with his own special theory of relativity, which predicted that space and time were relative, forming a four-dimensional continuum called spacetime. He conceived a general theory of relativity, in which gravitational fields would cause warps in spacetime, thus weaving gravity into the continuum. 

One of Eiensteins predictions of general relativity was that light should not travel in a perfectly straight line. While traveling through spacetime and nearing the warp induced by an object's gravitational field, light should curve — but not by much. A ray of light nicking the edge of the sun, for example, would bend a minuscule 1.75 arcseconds — the angle made by a right triangle 1 inch high and 1.9 mileslong. Newtonian physics also predicted light would bend due to gravity, but only by half as much as Einstein's theory predicted.

So this new discovery further vindicates all the above!

Peace my friend!:tu:

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, zep73 said:

I feel the urge to post this beautiful song:

Nothing fix this occasion better my friend!:tu:

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Light coming from behind a black hole is observed for the first time

In contrast to what their name implies, supermassive black holes can be one of the brightest sources of continuous light in the universe.

Just gives me a heaven :)the Bible tells me Jesus came from the light :)

• Like 1

Or... This so called black hole is actually an air bubble the wall of the gigantic glass jar that we actually live in!

I was thinking of a doctor with a flashlight in his hands during a physical examination.

• Haha 1

Does light actually bend?...or does it simply appear that way because ,sometimes, the space it is traveling through is (gravitationaly) curved/bent??      :huh:.     .

I suspect that the bending of space simply proves that space is made of something, rather than nothing,. .?    Which means, space has mass...not that light does?

Or, I am completely clueless?   ..that is probably,  a higher probability.  ? :lol:

Edited by lightly

to add

Stephen William Hawking did say, the black hole leads to another universe. If so the light behind the black hole could be heaven.  A lot of people say in their NDE `s they go though a tunnel and to the light :)