Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Heaven and Hell

Guyver

Is there any such thing as heaven?  What is it?  Is it real?  As I was attempting to contemplate heaven today, it occurred to me that it is hard to imagine.  And, I wonder if heaven could even be understood without hell?  Or more specifically, if heaven is a place of pleasure as some people believe, how could pleasure be understood without its opposite?  

PS.  I will post two contrasting songs for your listening pleasure.

• Like 4

Regarding the OP topic, I recently watched an episode of the Twilight Zone - a series of which I am personally a huge fan, and it was about a criminal, a murderer and thief who died committing robbery and murder when he was shot by the police.  He ended up in a place he thought was heaven.  He had everything he wanted, drinking, gambling, three hot babes, but, he was not content because he won all the time and it quickly became boring.  Not to blow the ending, but “the devil” laughs at him at the end.

• Like 5

So, that got me thinking that if all one ever knew was heaven, it may become boring.  Anyway, regarding the songs I chose.  I love them both.  The Rolling Stones version of heaven strikes me as one of the coolest songs ever, and the Devil you Know is a truism and represents the power of heavy rock ie. the world.  And that’s pretty hot as well.  So, IDK.

I'm easy to please:

If you're a Twilight Zone fan, I also like The Hunt (season 3 epsiode 19).

• Like 3

To complete my OP, I would like to add a scene that I think is the best devil ever.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I wanted to post the hell scene from Crossroads but could only get this much in one capture.

• Like 3

I dont know , but according to the Netflix trailer for " Lucifer" , he runs one hell of a nightclub.  Though on a different note ,  once we experience worlds like this with its extreme duality , we can understand the differences.

• Like 2

This idea that heaven is a place of clouds where people float around and sing like angels giving praise to God is really lame in my opinion.  Not that I wouldn’t praise God should one exist, but I would also praise if I could catch AC/DC live in their youth doing Hell Ain’t a Bad Place to Be.  Anyway, the point is that I wouldn’t want to float on clouds, I’d want to travel at the speed of light.  That would satisfy my need for speed, but sadly, I think that could get boring too.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Simpler times...

[00.04:18]

~

• Like 1

I think it possible that non existence is the best place to be.  Which is kinda what Buddhists and Hindu’s believe.  If we all become one with “it” we are no longer ourselves, but exist as part of the infinite.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Guyver said:

This idea that heaven is a place of clouds where people float around and sing like angels giving praise to God is really lame in my opinion.  Not that I wouldn’t praise God should one exist, but I would also praise if I could catch AC/DC live in their youth doing Hell Ain’t a Bad Place to Be.  Anyway, the point is that I wouldn’t want to float on clouds, I’d want to travel at the speed of light.  That would satisfy my need for speed, but sadly, I think that could get boring too.

Maybe thats why we come here.:o

• Thanks 1

@Guyver

You were contemplating a place completely made up in the Fantasy Brain of Ancient Humans thousands of years ago?  :huh:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, eight bits said:

I'm easy to please:

If you're a Twilight Zone fan, I also like The Hunt (season 3 epsiode 19).

Seen this (What dreams may come)  a few times.

Just added it to my personal favourites collection (about 100 out of the 1000 dvds I keep )   but I need to be in the right mood to watch it .

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, joc said:

@Guyver

You were contemplating a place completely made up in the Fantasy Brain of Ancient Humans thousands of years ago?  :huh:

No, I was trying to go modern with it.  I saw it as a place that glows and shines and people could think what they wish and it would happen.

• Like 1

I am not sure that anything could be more like heaven than my life on earth has been.   (and yep i know how lucky and privileged I am to live in a western democracy, in the 21st century; and be a good looking. white, educated male, to boot :)  )

Perhaps greater  longevity, and lack of illness, death and pain, might improve it. 

Personally, I don't need evil to know good.

Each is a discrete. identifiable construct or experience   

Edited by Mr Walker

This life is our test for the next. We have the guidelines written in multiple languages and in multiple religions. 
I’m not sure how but the older I get the more I feel this life is not the end to everything. We have to ride it out and play the cards we are dealt. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Guyver said:

Is there any such thing as heaven?  What is it?  Is it real?  As I was attempting to contemplate heaven today, it occurred to me that it is hard to imagine.  And, I wonder if heaven could even be understood without hell?  Or more specifically, if heaven is a place of pleasure as some people believe, how could pleasure be understood without its opposite?  

PS.  I will post two contrasting songs for your listening pleasure.

I certainly believe in both Heaven, and Hell, however not according to any organized religious beliefs. I am Buddhist and according to the doctrine associated with Buddhist teachings, there is no God to worship and no Devil to fear. Buddha was a man with no supernatural powers, he was born and died like humans do. However, he questioned the way people lived their lives during his childhood to the time he became an adult. 

Now Buddha was very privileged, he was Prince and the son of famous king. As he grew he witnessed the suffering of those less fortunate than himself and he decided that there was a better way and a path all men could follow to easy in some cases and to permanently end their suffering by changing the method in which they viewed themselves and the world along with those around them. Through personal self reflection and in depth thought along with meditation he constructed the philosophy and doctrine of Buddhism.

Now according to the teachings he developed the ability to find Heaven ( Enlightenment / Nirvana ) can be achieved by anyone through shear determination and sacrifice. Buddhists believe in reincarnation, because a key tenent of Buddhism is based upon Karma. Each person has Karma which is part of a Universal cause and effect doctrine that creates balance. Our Karma is based solely upon our own actions and choices so to progress forward on the Buddhist path leading to Enlightenment we must balance our Karma and the learning process that teaches this can take many life times to achieve.

Reincarnated is not a gift or punishment, but Buddhist believe life is pain, and this can only be stopped by releasing the past and through forgiveness of oneself so that you can live in the present without any attachments or regrets. Once you have learned the Dharma or teachings of Buddhsim and freed yourself from your ego it is possible to reach Nirvana. When this occurs reincarnation stops and you become a form of pure energy. All knowledge is known and you are fully at peace and content universally, however you no longer have the ability to alter things on Earth or contact anyone still living on Earth, this is Heaven for a Buddhist. 

Hell, is not a mystical place where you will go for transgressions against your fellow man, or for self center ego driven selfish behavior. Hell is located here in Earth and people place themselves and live in hell do to there actions during their lives. So to Buddhists, hell is located within your mind do to attachments from your past that you have not forgiven yourself for and released. So simple put hell is a path of mental torment created by each of us, but we also have the ability to change this misery by simply forgiving ourselves along with past regrets.

This has two effects it allows us to live in the present, and it also allows us to move ahead past our previous hellish existence. In Buddhist doctrine we are fully responsible for everything that occurs in our lives, even though we are unable to control the events ( Cause ). However, in every situation we do have the ability to control the outcome ( Effect ) of everything that occurs and this is our responsibility to ourselves, and along with kind treatment others in need this will maintain our Kramic Balance.

JIMO

• Like 5

• The topic was locked