Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Heaven and Hell

Guyver

Just now, Guyver said:

I don’t think I had ever heard this number before.  I liked it.  So, it was Ronnie James Dio instead of Ozzy singing it.  I haven’t had time to digest the lyrics….but….yeah.  Nice one.

Never heard it!?

Damn.

Yep. Dio. 

I definitely prefer Ozzy, but there is no denying that Dio was a powerhouse.

• Thanks 1

This is a tune called Lazarus by David Bowie.  I remember being greatly moved by this performance just before his death. It wasn’t until recently that I really examined the lyrics……and it’s a wow thing for me.  I mean, we all know David Bowie was a hopeless sinner like the rest of us, but this was special.  This expression of death just before his own, what can I say…..I’m a fan.

Just now, Guyver said:

Not a big Bowie fan at all, but this album was fantastic. 

Not sure if it was mostly because he knew he didn't have long and that reflected in the lyrics and music.

This one was great too :

• Like 1

Well, take that back.  David Bowie was no sinner like the rest of us.  He had the means to take it all the way down.  Just like like a rockstar burning out, yet he, like Keith Richards and Mick Jagger have also lived a long time and partied like the rock stars they were all the way through.  Just saying.

• Haha 1

PS.  Regarding that Lazarus number by Bowie that discusses heaven and hell.  I wanted to say I found a flaw in it.  A musical error.  I am curious and wonder if anyone else can find it?  Please tell if you do.

But, I would like to consider that error as ammo for conversation in this thread.  

BTW, that error was not the band.  It was Bowie himself and it couldn’t have been avoided and the number be true like he wanted it.

On 7/29/2021 at 6:57 PM, third_eye said:

Simpler times...

[00.04:18]

~

Dear third eye, I dismissed this initially as a “going for the low hanging fruit” but, upon further consideration….great play.  Well done.  So, if I may be allowed to finish the argument- since I kindof believe in it- the argument goes like this from my perspective.  

if heaven is a place where everything is perfect, we could be living in it now.  If living the life of a biological machine as we do requires the ultimate struggle for survival….then yes….this could be heaven.  That’s the argument.

• Like 3

I like the argument, but the world can also be viewed as cutthroat merciless pain.  So, it could also be the opposite of heaven, IMHO.

By the way, the Christian idea of hell where a person is crisped like a potato chip for the rest of eternity is just complete BS as I see it.  So, I dismiss that idea of it.  I don’t know what hell actually is, but it’s not that and I’ll tell you why.

There is no way that an Omnicient, Omnipotent and all loving being would keep its failures alive to be tortured.  If such a being had the power to create this and all universes, it would also have the power to make anything nonexistent instantaneously.  To have a “God” who wants you to live forever to be tortured is like saying God is the devil.  He wants to inflict evil?  That is so primitive.  A real God would dissolve your ass in a nanosecond.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Guyver said:

That’s the argument.

It's just a label and a brand name, the contents is the debatable... or maybe, the 'price tag'. 

~

• Like 2

On 7/30/2021 at 1:19 AM, Guyver said:

Is there any such thing as heaven?  What is it?  Is it real?  As I was attempting to contemplate heaven today, it occurred to me that it is hard to imagine.  And, I wonder if heaven could even be understood without hell?  Or more specifically, if heaven is a place of pleasure as some people believe, how could pleasure be understood without its opposite?  

PS.  I will post two contrasting songs for your listening pleasure.

I have never understood the concept of heaven after all one mans heaven is another mans hell.  

• Like 2

On 8/2/2021 at 7:04 PM, Guyver said:

By the way, the Christian idea of hell where a person is crisped like a potato chip for the rest of eternity is just complete BS as I see it.  So, I dismiss that idea of it.  I don’t know what hell actually is, but it’s not that and I’ll tell you why.

There is no way that an Omnicient, Omnipotent and all loving being would keep its failures alive to be tortured.  If such a being had the power to create this and all universes, it would also have the power to make anything nonexistent instantaneously.  To have a “God” who wants you to live forever to be tortured is like saying God is the devil.  He wants to inflict evil?  That is so primitive.  A real God would dissolve your ass in a nanosecond.

Hi Guyver

They also say the road to hell is broad and smooth and I can't figure out why I am having such a hard time finding the road.:lol: I have no idea what heaven or hell could be but pretty sure some men's heaven would be another mans hell so there may be some segregation issues in heaven:whistle:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

So heaven and hell is just another one of life’s unknowns, just like pretty much everything else as I see it.  Well, I guess we know our own experiences- but, some people are crazy so…..anyway.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Maybe we’re all a little crazy after so much time here experiencing.  

What we have here is a Tea Party... 

b841a8d002cad85c5eb8f7365670573c.jpg

~

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Speaking of crazy, I’ve heard it said, and I researched it myself, that we humans have a fused chromosome within our population on a high level.  Chromosome abnormalities give rise to conditions like Downs Syndrome.  So, we have a chromosomal fusion within our population.  Very interesting considering how closely related genetically to modern apes we are. Yet, here’s the crazy part….wait for it.  It’s not 100% of the population.  If memory serves, and I’m not sure it does right now since I’m one and one half hours into happy hour….anyway….60 - 65?  Maybe?  Maybe it was a touch higher but it wasn’t 100%.

Frankly speaking, nobody actually knows what "crazy" actually means, and I mean nobody. 

~

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, third_eye said:

Frankly speaking, nobody actually knows what "crazy" actually means, and I mean nobody. 

~

Yet, I’m willing to call Jim Morrison crazy.

• Haha 3

At the same time, I really, really like some of those Doors numbers.  They were amazing .   But also kinda lame?  The whole lizard thing?  Whatever.  Fricken LSD working.

See, that’s the thing.  There really is no perfect here.  That song I mentioned from David Bowie earlier?  His voice cracked because he had the death croak.  

18 minutes ago, Guyver said:

Yet, I’m willing to call Jim Morrison crazy.

The closest anyone got with a song... 

~

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, Guyver said:

You know that was covered from Patsy Cline right?

Yeah, Willie sold the tune... Talk about crazy eh? 

~

• Like 3

• The topic was locked