Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Heaven and Hell

Guyver

1 minute ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

Such as yourself. You love being slippery.

Life is not simple or easy to define   It is complex and multifaceted 

The important thing is to think about things deeply, to  weigh evidences,  and argue  a point of view which is defensible

I understand your comment here Even my wife complains because i see many different pov. and  rather than think in a linear fashion i see things as complex and interlinked  withmultiple possiblr causes and effects 

I am not being slippery. I am just presenting the world as i see  it.

Fascinating, challenging and  very complex, with no simple answers to any thing   of interest.  

I'm not interested in the easy simple or  certain things

Humanity is NOT an easy thing to define  eg the unborn are not considered human beings and thus have no rights in many places  yet biologically they are human. The rights and responsibilities we give people depend on their level of functionality, not on their species.    

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

That is your subjective opinion, 

Of course it is. 

2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Reading comprehension isn't someone's strong point. I believe my comment is an analogy. A way of comparing two things in a easy to understand manner.

Must be the amazing skimming abilities.

• Haha 4

If I wanted to call someone trash I would. I'm not known for being subtle.

Likewise.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

If I wanted to call someone trash I would. I'm not known for being subtle.

Amen to this.  Lol

No one misunderstood your meaning, there is garbage posting and quality posting. 

Kudos to your one liner on emotions and survival. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Reading comprehension isn't someone's strong point. I believe my comment is an analogy. A way of comparing two things in a easy to understand manner.

I had this discussion last week with a niece, who had to choose  a metaphor for a real life situation    in a  fantasy  novel, to discuss, as her final piece in an advanced degree.(honours degree)   The topic was set by her tutor, Sean Williams, a very well known Australian author  

she drove 130ks for my help because she was struggling to define exactly  what was being asked for  and because  of the thousands of fantasy novels I have read including ali those written by her tutor .  We had a long discussion about the many novels which use metaphors and analogies for things in the real world  like Asimov's laws of robotics as laws for human behaviour and Tolkien's and Cs Lewis's fantasy, as morality tale's  

We  worked out that a metaphor is a form of analogy.

A Metaphor is a type of analogy, but where analogy is identifying two things as similar, a metaphor claims a comparison where there may not be one. It is then up to the listener to create meaning out of this comparison. For example “ that sound goes through me like nails down a blackboard”.

https://www.networks.nhs.uk/nhs-networks/nlp-in-healthcare/news/metaphor-analogy-and-simile-the-difference-and-why-it-is-important#:~:text=Metaphor is a type of,like nails down a blackboard”.

so we are both correct. It is an analogy and a metaphor.

I was going to point this out in my post ,  but waited to see if it was challenged. 

Edited by Mr Walker

1 minute ago, Mr Walker said:

I was going to point this out in my post ,  but waited to see if it was challenged. 

No you weren't. You literally entered "is a metaphor an analogy" in Google and grabbed the first answer because you weren't sure. It's literally the first answer.

image.png.b6894beba9e480f55b493b6209bbab4d.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

22 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

That is your subjective opinion, as it is  Nuclear's 

Basically people call trash, that which they disagree with or cannot understand,   and especially that which offends them or challenges their view of the world (which they have constructed  to feel safe and secure within)

I keep asking people to challenge the facts logic or actual opinions i express.

Almost no one does. 

They might have reasons (excuses)  for not doing so, but I believe the y simply cannot. 

Heck, I could give logical, rational, and reasoned arguments, against all my opinions, so why can't anyone else? 

4 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

I had this discussion last week with a niece, who had to choose  a metaphor for a real life situation   in a  fantasy  novel, to discuss, as her final piece in an advanced degree.(honours degree)   The topic was set by her tutor, Sean Williams, a very well known Australian author 

We  worked out that a metaphor is a form of analogy.

A Metaphor is a type of analogy, but where analogy is identifying two things as similar, a metaphor claims a comparison where there may not be one. It is then up to the listener to create meaning out of this comparison. For example “ that sound goes through me like nails down a blackboard”.

https://www.networks.nhs.uk/nhs-networks/nlp-in-healthcare/news/metaphor-analogy-and-simile-the-difference-and-why-it-is-important#:~:text=Metaphor is a type of,like nails down a blackboard”.

so we are both correct. It is an analogy and a metaphor.

?

Edited by Sherapy
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Sherapy said:

8ty clarified the difference many moons ago many times. For all your speed reading you sure miss a lot. :P

His Googling and defense mechanisms are on point today, tho

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Sometimes I wonder how intelligent I actually am. 

Definitely more than 1 SD above average. That'd be my guess.

Edited by Nuclear Wessel
  • Confused 1

His Googling and defense mechanisms are on point today, tho

:tu: 

Indeed. Well one thing for sure we can all read him like a book. :P

3 minutes ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

No you weren't. You literally entered "is a metaphor an analogy" in Google and grabbed the first answer because you weren't sure. It's literally the first answer.

image.png.b6894beba9e480f55b493b6209bbab4d.png

As  i said my niece and i had this discussion and did the googling about a week ago 

And yep the first (and thus most common)  definition when you google makes my point for me 

However having taught metaphors similes and analogies to students for many decades I already knew this 

My niece just needed google to confirm it   

Lots of people with tiny and suspicious mind on UM  :) 

2 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

After so many re-readings, a pretty worn and dog-eared book by now.:yes:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Lots of people with tiny and suspicious mind on UM  :) 

Suspicious, certainly. Tiny? Pfft, says the 120 IQ. ;)

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Sometimes I wonder how intelligent I actually am. 

I would say very intelligent. 

• Like 1

Ok thanks all of you for making my point for me 

You are only interested in disbelief and personal  attacks to justify your own prejudices ,   and i believe that is   because you cant    argue the facts or the logic and cant believe iknow wht iam talkig about without damaging your own slef esteem and view of the world 

again I could prove that i had this discussion a week ago but  I  dont need to 

Check out the course Sean Williams runs a t Flinders uni You might  possibly find the topic set, online.   

2 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

"I could prove it, I just don't wanna"

Sounds like me when I said I could prove that I was Batman, when I was a kid.

You are only interested in disbelief and personal  attacks to justify your own prejudices ,   and i believe that is   because you cant    argue the facts or the logic and cant believe iknow wht iam talkig about without damaging your own slef esteem and view of the world 

This is your own subjective opinion.

Edited by Nuclear Wessel
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

If that is your reading skill you are basically illiterate,  given that  you constantly   misread me and  get me wrong, because  you impose your own world views on me/  see me as you see yourself.  

• Haha 2

If that is your reading skill you are basically illiterate,  given that  you constantly   misread me and  get me wrong, because  you impose your own world views on me/  see me as you see yourself.  

We read you... loud and clear. We also read between the lines. It's quite a skill.

• Thanks 4

"I could prove it, I just don't wanna"

Sounds like me when I said I could prove that I was Batman, when I was a kid.

This is your own subjective opinion.

Not  "dont wanna"  I  dont need to 

My brother, sister and law, wife, and niece were all siting round the table when my niece and i had this discussion  

I know I told the truth and that's all that matters (except of course that i was right to use the term metaphor)  :)  

6 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

Ok thanks all of you for making my point for me 

You are only interested in disbelief and personal  attacks to justify your own prejudices ,   and i believe that is   because you cant    argue the facts or the logic and cant believe iknow wht iam talkig about without damaging your own slef esteem and view of the world 

Check out the course Sean Williams runs a t Flinders uni You might  possibly find the topic set, online.   

Mr. Walker, you were caught red handed with you hand in the cookie jar. :P

Just admit it. Lol 

• Like 1

Not  "dont wanna"  I  dont need to 

My brother, sister and law, wife, and niece were all siting round the table when my niece and i had this discussion  

I know I told the truth and that's all that matters (except of course that i was right to use the term metaphor)  :)  

Sure, sure. :tu:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Nuclear Wessel said:

We read you... loud and clear. We also read between the lines. It's quite a skill.

Thats your problem There is nothing between the lines. Your imagination and bias is creating all the words you see there :)   

Anyway done with this for tonight. It is  after midnight  and i've got a book to read .  

• Haha 2

• The topic was locked