Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Rick Astley rolls into a billion YouTube views

Still Waters

Rick Astley hit Never Gonna Give You Up has passed one billion views on YouTube.

The song, released 34 years ago this week, found new popularity with the rise of Rickrolling, an internet prank where people are tricked into clicking on a hyperlink that leads to the video.

At the time of writing, the YouTube video has 1,001,264,871 views.

Astley called passing the billion mark "mind blowing". In a video posted to Twitter, he said he was "very lucky".

When released, the song reached number one in the UK - but Rickrolling helped it find a new audience, clocking up an extra 2.3 million views on this year's April Fool's Day alone.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-58011677

• Haha 5

The VAST majority of those views is for the purposes of a trolling joke though.  That song is the worst :wacko:

23 minutes ago, OverSword said:

The VAST majority of those views is for the purposes of a trolling joke though.  That song is the worst :wacko:

'The worst'?!! I can think of thousands of songs that are worse than this. If nothing else he has a lovely voice. :P

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

'The worst'?!! I can think of thousands of songs that are worse than this. If nothing else he has a lovely voice. :P

To each their own.  He was the anti-of what I would ever listen to back then.  Short hair, suit, sang about love.  We wanted to take a baseball bat to the likes of him. :lol: 

I clearly remember dancing in the disco, with this song in a speakers. And, George Michael's song Faith too. Ahh, those were the great times!  :tu:

Edited by jethrofloyd

18 hours ago, acute said:

This seems like a good excuse to post the best MashUp ever!

(yet again)

https://youtu.be/NN75im_us4k

OMG...his dance moves juxtaposed to Nirvana...priceless.

• Haha 1