Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

House fails to extend federal eviction ban

DieChecker

Yahoo News: Finger pointing starts after House fails to extend federal eviction ban.
https://news.yahoo.com/finger-pointing-starts-house-fails-004712806.html

House Democratic leaders did not secure enough votes to pass the legislation on Friday, adjourning the chamber for a six-week recess the day before the ban is set to expire. As many as 15 million people could face evictions, per estimates from the Aspen Institute.

I thought the Democrats were monolithic in the House. How did this not get passed?passed?

It didn't say which Departments were scrambling, but I can guess. 

I had been wondering if there would be enough political will to do a Forgiveness on this debt, but since they can't even extend it, I guess not.

I have some friends who are deferring their payments, and they thought it was giving them a pass on paying, not that all the rent keeps piling up.

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Help for Renters

https://www.consumerfinance.gov/coronavirus/mortgage-and-housing-assistance/renter-protections/conversation-about-payment-agreements/

There's numerous options, but ultimately its costly to defer your rent. 

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

Yahoo News: Finger pointing starts after House fails to extend federal eviction ban.
https://news.yahoo.com/finger-pointing-starts-house-fails-004712806.html

I thought the Democrats were monolithic in the House. How did this not get passed?passed?

It didn't say which Departments were scrambling, but I can guess. 

I had been wondering if there would be enough political will to do a Forgiveness on this debt, but since they can't even extend it, I guess not.

I have some friends who are deferring their payments, and they thought it was giving them a pass on paying, not that all the rent keeps piling up.

It's an interesting point your making and I agree with you. But it was the CDC who originated this moratorium and they used a 1944 law that I am listing below to do. However, Congress totally screwed this situation up, and I believe it was intentional. It's also comical that the dam Democrats are now all pointing the finger at Biden. This case was just heard early this week by the Supreme Court, when a Federal Judge tried to cancel the program, and the Supreme Court voted 5-4 in favor of keeping this program.

I agree that as it says below those people who have paid no rent are going to end up getting screwed. But according to the link I provided it appears that the Federal Government planned to pay the Landlords. So then it will come down to the Government collecting from the non-paying renters. I can see the Government deducting money owed from people's tax returns. 

The challengers argued that the moratorium was not authorized by the law the agency relied on, the Public Health Service Act of 1944. The 1944 law, the challengers wrote, was concerned with quarantines and inspections to stop the spread of disease and did not bestow on the agency “the unqualified power to take any measure imaginable to stop the spread of communicable disease — whether eviction moratoria, worship limits, nationwide lockdowns, school closures or vaccine mandates.”

The C.D.C. argued that the moratorium was authorized by the 1944 law. Evictions would accelerate the spread of the coronavirus, the agency said, by forcing people “to move, often into close quarters in new shared housing settings with friends or family, or congregate settings such as homeless shelters.”

The moratorium defers but does not cancel the obligation to pay rent; the challengers wrote that this “massive wealth transfer” would “never be fully undone.” Many renters, they wrote, will be unable to pay what they owe. “In reality,” they wrote, “the eviction moratorium has become an instrument of economic policy rather than of disease control.”

In urging the Supreme Court to leave the moratorium in place, the government said that continued vigilance against the spread of the coronavirus was needed and noted that Congress has appropriated tens of billions of dollars to pay for rent arrears.

Supreme Court Rejects Request to Lift Federal Ban on Evictions https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/29/us/politics/supreme-court-eviction-ban.html

• Like 1

those dems who voted no, prbly have tenants themselves who do not pay their rent.   

and yes those unpaid rents are piling up, it is your debt now, those who think they'll get away with it are sadly mistaken, they will get evicted, and no one will rent them anything now, due to non payment history,

Edited by aztek

This is a tough one for me.   So many variables.   Is it a high rent apartment/house?   Should the tenant be responsible and downsize?   What is the areas unemployment rate?  Near me, there are jobs open all over the place.  The place I work at has to shut down production several times a week because of staffing issues.   They start at $18 an hour for production jobs.   

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

CBS News: Supreme Court blocks Biden administration's latest ban on evictions.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/eviction-moratorium-blocked-supreme-court/?ftag=CNM-00-10aag7e

I suspect everyone knew this would happen...

I'm happy about this.   It is a failed process for many.  Landlords are not getting their money.  

If it were any easy process where the government sends the rent to the landlord, it'd be different.   But that would still entice people to be lazy and not get a job.

• Like 1

NBC News: 'Arbitrary and cruel': Democrats excoriate Supreme Court decision on eviction moratorium.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/arbitrary-cruel-democrats-excoriate-supreme-court-decision-eviction-moratorium-n1277827

Feelings.... Nothing more then feelings...

How people feel is apparently more important then impartial interpretation of Federal Law.

7 hours ago, DieChecker said:

NBC News: 'Arbitrary and cruel': Democrats excoriate Supreme Court decision on eviction moratorium.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/arbitrary-cruel-democrats-excoriate-supreme-court-decision-eviction-moratorium-n1277827

Feelings.... Nothing more then feelings...

How people feel is apparently more important then impartial interpretation of Federal Law.

The SC seems very clear as to why they made that decision - it was the role of Congress to legalise the moratorium. But then again, Congress will say the SC needed to establish precedent first. 

Pelosi needed a vacation. She sent Congress home when she knew this would happen. I hope all the evicted in CA move to San Francisco and camp in her neighborhood.

51 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

Pelosi needed a vacation. She sent Congress home when she knew this would happen. I hope all the evicted in CA move to San Francisco and camp in her neighborhood.

They wouldn’t be able to - it’s a gated community. 

• Haha 2

This mess is a house of cards, waiting to be blown down.

The cost of housing far exceeds wages, in the U.S.

The price must come down, one way or another, and I see a deflationary crash as the likely outcome.

All these bailouts do is prolong the eventual price correction, and housing is too expensive for 80% of households.

The end of this artificial Inflation will end in a deflationary collapse in prices, worldwide.

The federal reserve cannot prop up everyone on earth, and this virus is destroying demand worldwide. Anyone with assets now, would be smart to sell. You’ll be able to buy back later for pennies on the dollar, and then we can rebuild, from the real asset price.

Dump your assets now, and thank me when you make a profit. More plagues are coming….

Edited by Raptor Witness

On 8/29/2021 at 3:26 AM, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

They wouldn’t be able to - it’s a gated community. 

Gated community that she should be in.

external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg

• Haha 1

Making people homeless, is not a solution either. The question is, how do you subsidize housing during a deflationary crisis?

The obvious answer is, you cannot, because subsidizing inflates the price, out of reach for everyone.

The answer is the old Biblical concept of Jubilee, which is debt forgiveness across-the-board, for everyone. Debt forgiveness, globally, is the solution to a deflationary crisis, because it’s not inflation.

The problem with a deflationary crisis is nobody has money, except the government, but if you declare Jubilee, then almost everyone, has money again.

Debt forgiveness must be across the board, for everyone. That will reset everyone’s balance sheet.

15 minutes ago, Raptor Witness said:

Debt forgiveness must be across the board, for everyone. That will reset everyone’s balance sheet.

I agree a little, but I've been thrifty and worked my tail off in my life to not be in debt and be better off than many others.  I don't want that to be reset.  

14 minutes ago, Myles said:

I agree a little, but I've been thrifty and worked my tail off in my life to not be in debt and be better off than many others.  I don't want that to be reset.  

I understand your argument, but your assets will be destroyed by deflation, also. Just because you are responsible, will not reset supply and demand.

Jubilee is tool to reset supply and demand without typical inflation or deflation.