Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bioelectronic devices could treat autoimmune disease

Abramelin

Neurosurgeon Kevin J. Tracey talks to Nature about controlling inflammation in rheumatoid arthritis by stimulating the vagus nerve.

Excessive inflammation is a key feature of autoimmune diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis. Drugs that block pro-inflammatory molecules are already in use, but electrical stimulation might provide an alternative. Kevin J. Tracey, a neurosurgeon and chief executive of the Feinstein Institutes for Medical Research in Manhasset, New York, spoke to Nature about the role of the nervous system in managing inflammation, and his work to treat rheumatoid arthritis by stimulating the vagus nerve.

LINK

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Abramelin said:

Neurosurgeon Kevin J. Tracey talks to Nature about controlling inflammation in rheumatoid arthritis by stimulating the vagus nerve.

Excessive inflammation is a key feature of autoimmune diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis. Drugs that block pro-inflammatory molecules are already in use, but electrical stimulation might provide an alternative. Kevin J. Tracey, a neurosurgeon and chief executive of the Feinstein Institutes for Medical Research in Manhasset, New York, spoke to Nature about the role of the nervous system in managing inflammation, and his work to treat rheumatoid arthritis by stimulating the vagus nerve.

LINK

I have been using a Tens Unit for many years. It's effective for pain relief short term, and when I am in severe pain it's wonderful I just wish the effects would last longer than 12 to 24 hours. However, it may work better for those people who don't have issues like mine where my pain levels can reach 10+. 

The unit below is similar to the one I use, they are powered by a 9volt battery and these home models will apply an equal power output to the professional models used by doctors

B9261461-DF2C-4895-BCDB-648881874335-7628-000011D7BB263074.jpg

• Like 1