Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Breakthrough COVID cases among the fully vaccinated are real. Here's the latest

Grim Reaper 6

How can fully vaccinated people become infected with coronavirus?

Someone can become infected with COVID-19 just before or right after they get the vaccination, because it takes roughly two weeks before the vaccine is most effective. However, even after the immunity builds up, there's still a chance they can become infected, according to the WHO, since the vaccines aren't silver bullets against disease (though they're highly effective).

With millions of unvaccinated people around the world, new variants will emerge do to the lack of vaccination. Rock says. For example, the delta variant can pose a threat to people who are fully vaccinated, especially those who have high-risk medical conditions.

Are COVID-19 symptoms still severe if you've been fully vaccinated?

Someone who's fully vaccinated has a much smaller risk of experiencing severe symptoms from COVID-19. People who have received both doses of the vaccine are less likely to be hospitalized or die than those who haven't been vaccinated, the CDC says. Vaccinated people typically see symptoms like a runny nose, which they mistake as a common cold, Rock said.

Additional information explained in the link below:

1. How can you stay protected from breakthrough infections?

2. Will fully vaccinated people need booster shots in the future?

3. Which variants are the cause of the breakthrough infections?

4. What are experts saying about the efficacy of vaccines against COVID-19?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/breakthrough-covid-cases-among-the-fully-vaccinated-are-real-heres-the-latest/ar-AAMvQdI

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

image.png.4c4195a0b1f2f8ace9a6182a6f110201.png

Less than 0.004% of people fully vaccinated against Covid-19 experienced a breakthrough case resulting in hospitalization and less than 0.001% died from the disease, according to the latest data from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/less-than-0001-of-fully-vaccinated-americans-died-after-a-covid-19-breakthrough-case-cdc-data-shows/ar-AAMNgyo?ocid=BingNewsSearch

What is vaccine breakthrough? | OSF HealthCare

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Hammerclaw said:

Less than 0.004% of people fully vaccinated against Covid-19 experienced a breakthrough case resulting in hospitalization and less than 0.001% died from the disease, according to the latest data from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/less-than-0001-of-fully-vaccinated-americans-died-after-a-covid-19-breakthrough-case-cdc-data-shows/ar-AAMNgyo?ocid=BingNewsSearch

Thanks for adding this addition information, the article I linked didn't go into detail. It only listed the overall updated information!

Thanks again, if you see any other information that is more specific please add it.:tu:

• Like 3

Here's a good article about how vaccinated people are getting breakthrough cases. You need to read the whole thing.

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20210726/breakthrough-cases-rising-with-delta-heres-what-that-means

When people are infected with Delta, they carry approximately 1000 times more virus compared with previous versions of the virus, according to a recent study. All that virus can overwhelm even the strong protection from the vaccines.

"Three months ago, breakthroughs didn't occur nearly at this rate because there was just so much less virus exposure in the community," says Michael Osterholm, PhD, director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 4

Want to add from above article:   This also contains it's own link in blue.

Out of 229,218 COVID infections in the United Kingdom between February and July 19, 28,773 — or about 12.5% — were in fully vaccinated people. Of those breakthrough infections, 1,101, or 3.8%, required a visit to an emergency room, according to Public Health England. Just 474, or 2.9%, of fully vaccinated people required hospital admission, and 229, or less than 1%, died.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, susieice said:

Want to add from above article:   This also contains it's own link in blue.

Out of 229,218 COVID infections in the United Kingdom between February and July 19, 28,773 — or about 12.5% — were in fully vaccinated people. Of those breakthrough infections, 1,101, or 3.8%, required a visit to an emergency room, according to Public Health England. Just 474, or 2.9%, of fully vaccinated people required hospital admission, and 229, or less than 1%, died.

Wow, that's some great information Susieice, I really appreciate your contribution. I have not finished reading all the links yet. I certainly will. 

Thank you very much!:tu:

1 hour ago, susieice said:

Here's a good article about how vaccinated people are getting breakthrough cases. You need to read the whole thing.

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20210726/breakthrough-cases-rising-with-delta-heres-what-that-means

When people are infected with Delta, they carry approximately 1000 times more virus compared with previous versions of the virus, according to a recent study. All that virus can overwhelm even the strong protection from the vaccines.

"Three months ago, breakthroughs didn't occur nearly at this rate because there was just so much less virus exposure in the community," says Michael Osterholm, PhD, director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis.

• Like 1

What really worries me is the Lambda variant. It's not discussed here in the US but is running rampant in S America. The article goes on to talk about the mutation of this variant and it's significance. The evolutionary trait as they word it.

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20210730/Scientists-suspect-Lambda-SARS-CoV-2-variant-most-dangerous.aspx

The Lambda variant belongs to the C.37 lineage, which has been newly designated as a VOI on June 14, 2021, by WHO. This variant is predominantly spreading in South American countries that include Chile, Peru, Argentina, and Ecuador. According to the Global Initiative on Sharing All Influenza Data (GISAID) database, the Lambda variant has been reported in 26 countries worldwide.

The rate of vaccination has been notably high in Chile. A recent study conducted in Chile has shown that around 60% of the population have received at least a single dose of the COVID-19 vaccine. Recently, during the spring of 2021, a rapid surge in COVID-19 cases was observed in Chile. This is because the Lambda variant is capable of escaping the immune responses induced via vaccination.

In this study, the researchers have revealed that insertion of RSYLTPGD246- 253N mutation in the NTD of the Lambda S protein is associated with the increased virulence. This mutation is responsible for the rapid spread of the Lambda variant in the Southern American countries.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

What is vaccine breakthrough? | OSF HealthCare

Are those percentages of Americans who had the vaccine or of Americans who had the vaccine and later caught covid?

26 minutes ago, Setton said:

Are those percentages of Americans who had the vaccine or of Americans who had the vaccine and later caught covid?

27 minutes ago, Setton said:

Less than 0.004% of people fully vaccinated against Covid-19 experienced a breakthrough case resulting in hospitalization

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

That doesn't answer my question. Is it 'of those who had a breakthrough case, 0.004% had one that resulted in hospitalisation' or '0.004% of all those vaccinated ended up in hospital'?

6 hours ago, Setton said:

That doesn't answer my question. Is it 'of those who had a breakthrough case, 0.004% had one that resulted in hospitalisation' or '0.004% of all those vaccinated ended up in hospital'?

Yes. ONLY .004 PERCENT OF ALL THE FULLY VACCINATED, WHO EXPERIENCED A BREAKTHROUGH INFECTION, REQUIRED HOSPITALIZATION. 

Edited by Hammerclaw

37 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Yes. ONLY .004 PERCENT OF ALL THE FULLY VACCINATED, WHO EXPERIENCED A BREAKTHROUGH INFECTION, REQUIRED HOSPITALIZATION. 

Thank you. No need for the caps though. Your first post was ambiguous.

8 minutes ago, Setton said:

Thank you. No need for the caps though. Your first post was ambiguous.

All my posts were in quite understandable, plain, simple English, cut-and-pasted, not written by me. I'm beginning to understand how Americans and British are two peoples, divided by a common language.:yes:

Edited by Hammerclaw

On 8/1/2021 at 1:15 PM, susieice said:

What really worries me is the Lambda variant. It's not discussed here in the US but is running rampant in S America. The article goes on to talk about the mutation of this variant and it's significance. The evolutionary trait as they word it.

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20210730/Scientists-suspect-Lambda-SARS-CoV-2-variant-most-dangerous.aspx

The Lambda variant belongs to the C.37 lineage, which has been newly designated as a VOI on June 14, 2021, by WHO. This variant is predominantly spreading in South American countries that include Chile, Peru, Argentina, and Ecuador. According to the Global Initiative on Sharing All Influenza Data (GISAID) database, the Lambda variant has been reported in 26 countries worldwide.

The rate of vaccination has been notably high in Chile. A recent study conducted in Chile has shown that around 60% of the population have received at least a single dose of the COVID-19 vaccine. Recently, during the spring of 2021, a rapid surge in COVID-19 cases was observed in Chile. This is because the Lambda variant is capable of escaping the immune responses induced via vaccination.

In this study, the researchers have revealed that insertion of RSYLTPGD246- 253N mutation in the NTD of the Lambda S protein is associated with the increased virulence. This mutation is responsible for the rapid spread of the Lambda variant in the Southern American countries.

Here is an update on the Lambda Mutation from 5 Aug 2021, I think this has some new information Susieice

Take care

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Manwon Lender said:

Here is an update on the Lambda Mutation from 5 Aug 2021, I think this has some new information Susieice

Take care

I think you forgot your link Manwon. I've done that too already.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, susieice said:

Wow I am sorry it getting late here in Korea!!:D

Here you go! What we know about the Delta and Lambda COVID variants (msn.com)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow. This virus and it's variants are just popping up and spreading like wildfire with rapid mutations. It's got a planet full of hosts and a modern global transit system to ride on. Even the most remote parts of the Earth are infected. It sure isn't like when the plague took seven years to spread through Europe. Not even Ebola or SARS or H1N1 spread or mutated at anywhere near the pace as this one. It's only been two years.

I don't mean to sound disheartening, but as everyone in UM is keen on saying, facts are facts.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/4/2021 at 8:52 PM, susieice said:

Here is updated information on the Lamda Variant , thought you may be interested!!

Below is some new information about Lamda, and there is additional information in the link below:

Lambda has been identified in the US, but not in significant numbers. Delta remains the dominant variant in the US. However, worries were fueled after a study (which hasn't been peer-reviewed) published at the end of July found that a mutation in lambda's spike protein makes the variant more infectious, and that lambda has the potential to evade neutralizing antibodies.

Lambda coronavirus variant: What you should know: Lambda coronavirus variant: What you should know

Below is another article about the Lamda Variant included in the link below @susieice Sorry for bothering you, but I just added some addition information from a different link!

Unlike a "variant of concern" such as Delta, Lambda is a considered "variant of interest," which is "a term used when health officials closely monitor a specific variant because mutations possibly can affect the disease severity or transmissibility of that particular strain," explains Dr. Cherian. "The Lambda variant is known to be more resistant to neutralizing antibodies compared to other strains, and there's some evidence to suggest that it could be more infectious and resistant to vaccines." So, while health experts are keeping a very close eye on all known variants of the coronavirus, there have not been enough Lambda variant-caused cases to determine whether the strain has the potential (read: a big enough threat) to be a Delta-level "variant of concern.

How Does the Lambda Variant Differ From the Delta Variant?: https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/what-everyone-should-know-about-the-new-lambda-covid-19-variant/ar-AAN9Y0O?rt=1&ocid=Win10NewsApp&referrerID=InAppShare

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

Here is updated information on the Lamda Variant , thought you may be interested!!

Below is some new information about Lamda, and there is additional information in the link below:

Lambda has been identified in the US, but not in significant numbers. Delta remains the dominant variant in the US. However, worries were fueled after a study (which hasn't been peer-reviewed) published at the end of July found that a mutation in lambda's spike protein makes the variant more infectious, and that lambda has the potential to evade neutralizing antibodies.

So far, there's no research to suggest that the three vaccines available in the US won't be effective against lambda. Preliminary studies (not yet peer-reviewed) show that while antibodies induced by Pfizer, Moderna and CoronaVac (a Chinese COVID-19 vaccine) were less powerful against lambda than the original strain, they still "neutralize" the virus and are expected to be effective against lambda.

Lambda coronavirus variant: What you should know: Lambda coronavirus variant: What you should know (msn.com)

Thanks for the link Manwon. I really hope our vaccines will be capable of holding back this variant of the virus. I knew the proteins in the spike made Lambda more infectious and Delta is bad enough, as we are sadly seeing. Hoping Lambda doesn't become more prevalent than Delta. Reports from S America were saying CoronaVac wasn't holding up real well against Lambda but the .

While it is decreasing in Peru, now 8 cases have been seen in the UK and in 44 states. It seems to be rising in Chile and Ecuador.

https://www.sciencefocus.com/news/lambda-variant/

A pre-print analysis, which has yet to be peer-reviewed, of the spike proteins on the SARS-CoV-2 Lambda variant showed a two-fold increase in infectivity, which scientists say is due to a particular mutation on the virus called the L452Q mutation.

The researchers at the NYU Grossman School of Medicine tested the effectiveness of mRNA vaccines – like the Pfizer and the Moderna coronavirus vaccines used in the UK – against the Lambda variant.

According to their results, there was a “partial resistance to neutralisation”, however this “is not likely to cause a significant loss of protection against infection” in vaccinated individuals.

• Thanks 1

This is from Newsweek reported on 8/5.

https://www.newsweek.com/lambda-covid-variant-what-who-cdc-have-said-1616324

While the WHO hasn't yet labeled the Lambda variant as a variant of concern yet, it has noted that its mutations include "potential increased transmissibility or possible increased resistance to neutralizing antibodies."

More studies are needed to compare whether Lambda is more transmissible or resistant to vaccines than to the Delta variant, the latter which has shown to be highly contagious and more susceptible to breakthrough cases.

Last week, Maria Van Kerkhove, the WHO's COVID-19 technical lead, said that Lambda would only be upgraded to a variant of concern "if it has demonstrated pathways of increased transmissibility, if it has increased severity for example or if it has some kind of impact on our countermeasures."

At this time, Van Kerkhove said Lambda doesn't seem to "take off once it's reported in a country."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This really begs the question for me, and for my friends who are pro restrictions.

Like what's the point? Its just going to mutate again, and even if we developed a new updated vaccine, and got it approved. It can't be produced quick enough. 

Most of the world hasen't even received the normal Covid vaccine.

It seems like we are sort of just going to be stuck with it each year.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, spartan max2 said:

This really begs the question for me, and for my friends who are pro restrictions.

Like what's the point? Its just going to mutate again, and even if we developed a new updated vaccine, and got it approved. It can't be produced quick enough. 

A lot of Europe and the US is vaccinated. Much of S America has been also and China has been vaccinating with it's CoronaVac. Much more vaccine needs to be sent to African nations and India. There are 100's of millions of doses being sent. As long as our vaccines hold against the variants, we may be able to get a hold on this. The US is shipping out all of it's AstraZeneca and a lot of the other three we have. I think Britain is also shipping. China has sent it's vaccine to S America and I'm not sure where else. It's a big world to cover.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, susieice said:

Thanks for the link Manwon. I really hope our vaccines will be capable of holding back this variant of the virus. I knew the proteins in the spike made Lambda more infectious and Delta is bad enough, as we are sadly seeing. Hoping Lambda doesn't become more prevalent than Delta. Reports from S America were saying CoronaVac wasn't holding up real well against Lambda but the .

While it is decreasing in Peru, now 8 cases have been seen in the UK and in 44 states. It seems to be rising in Chile and Ecuador.

https://www.sciencefocus.com/news/lambda-variant/

A pre-print analysis, which has yet to be peer-reviewed, of the spike proteins on the SARS-CoV-2 Lambda variant showed a two-fold increase in infectivity, which scientists say is due to a particular mutation on the virus called the L452Q mutation.

The researchers at the NYU Grossman School of Medicine tested the effectiveness of mRNA vaccines – like the Pfizer and the Moderna coronavirus vaccines used in the UK – against the Lambda variant.

According to their results, there was a “partial resistance to neutralisation”, however this “is not likely to cause a significant loss of protection against infection” in vaccinated individuals.

Yea my biggest fear is that all this new variants that continue to occur are going to overwhelm the current vaccines, and I also believe it is only a matter time before this occurs. The problem that is causing these variants to occur is combination of two factors, and both of these factors are related to one thing and that is the number of unvaccinated people worldwide. Now, I am not picking on anyone who chooses to not be vaccinated, that is their choice. What I am alluding too, are all the Third-world countries that are unable to purchase and provide vaccines for their people.

I think this problem is serious enough where the United Nations should be used as intermediary that can provide the necessary quantities of vaccine and help with vaccination programs worldwide. I also think the problem is serious enough for the worlds governments to provide the funding for these programs, because this situation is the most serious threat the entire world is currently facing. Today, every single variant has occurred in countries that can be considered third-world and these variants have spread through the world from there.

The unvaccinated are the only source that has been proven to create these variants. While breakthrough infections of the vaccinated do occur, according to medical data viral infection of the vaccinated posses little if any risk to the production of Variants. This is because when a vaccinated people does become infected the Virus is not unchecked, from the moment it enters a vaccinated person body their antibodies attack the Virus which stops and unchecked mas replication of Viral infection. However, for the unvaccinated their is not a large enough immune response to prevent the virus from reproducing unchecked and the more the Virus replicates itself the larger the chances are that COVID 19 Variant may occur.

Disclaimer: My comments are about the unvaccinated are not directed or even apply to those who choose not to be vaccinated. Those people represent a very small number of the worlds population to truly have an effect on the overall situation with unvaccinated people worldwide. Even those people who choose not to be vaccinated  will not prevent Herd Immunity from still being reached through the current vaccination programs. Since the requirements for Herd Immunity to occur only require 70% of the worlds population to have some form of immunity to COVID 19. The only problem that arises for those who wish to not be vaccinated will occur once the numbers of the vaccinated worldwide begin to push that 70% vaccinate rate. By the time this occurs, this Virus will go into over drive producing variants in order to stay alive. This place the remaining unvaccinated individuals worldwide at a very great risk of infection and that is the only consequence of choosing to not be vaccinated.

Unvaccinated People Are Increasing the Chances for More Coronavirus Variants — Here’s How: Unvaccinated People Are Fueling Coronavirus Variants (healthline.com)

RESULTS

Among 1497 fully vaccinated health care workers for whom RT-PCR data were available, 39 SARS-CoV-2 breakthrough infections were documented. Neutralizing antibody titers in case patients during the peri-infection period were lower than those in matched uninfected controls (case-to-control ratio, 0.361; 95% confidence interval, 0.165 to 0.787). Higher peri-infection neutralizing antibody titers were associated with lower infectivity (higher Ct values). Most breakthrough cases were mild or asymptomatic, although 19% had persistent symptoms (>6 weeks). The B.1.1.7 (alpha) variant was found in 85% of samples tested. A total of 74% of case patients had a high viral load (Ct value, <30) at some point during their infection; however, of these patients, only 17 (59%) had a positive result on concurrent Ag-RDT. No secondary infections were documented.

Of the 39 breakthrough case patients, 18 (46%) were nursing staff members, 10 (26%) were administration or maintenance workers, 6 (15%) were allied health professionals, and 5 (13%) were physicians. The average age of the 39 infected workers was 42 years, and the majority were women (64%). The median interval from the second vaccine dose to SARS-CoV-2 detection was 39 days (range, 11 to 102). Only one infected person (3%) had immunosuppression. Other coexisting illnesses are detailed in Table S1. Link to table 1 Covid-19 Breakthrough Infections in Vaccinated Health Care Workers | NEJM

Covid-19 Breakthrough Infections in Vaccinated Health Care Workers: Covid-19 Breakthrough Infections in Vaccinated Health Care Workers | NEJM

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spartan max2 said:

Spartan you make some very good points. However, updated vaccines are already being created and they based upon the current most dangerous variants. In all reality unfortunately I doubt this will ever stop, because while I could be wrong, I believe this Virus is here to stay. I suspect that it will require booster vaccinations just like the Flu, and that these vaccines will also require being updated each year. There is also talk of these boosters being actually incorporated into into the Flu Vaccine, which makes sense because it would be a annual one time jab that would immunize against both Viruses at the same time.

So yea I completely agree with you that immunization will become an annual event!!:tu:

• Like 1